Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #31
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher View Post
So will it render pdfs much better than prs-505? I mean, the main problem for me with prs-505 is that pdfs have much less contrast and font isn't as clear as with, say, rtf.

Well, i always wanted to ask actually why prs-505 can't render pdf exactly as rtf file. Is it because of pdf itself so eSlick will have the same problem or is it Sony's fault?
That was a bug on the 500 and with the old firmware of the 505. If you update the 505 you get the same contrast and clear fonts with PDF.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #32
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
OK, so this is a small-format PDF viewer, I'm not su sure whether I really see the point of this one
A large (full A4 size or similar) PDF viewer might make sense, but for the small screens...I'm not so sure.
With reflow and DRM PDF support it might just work, but does this device offer that?

I remeber the times when I used PDF files on my Iliad, DRM free ones of course, and I remember with horror the time and effort I had to put into reformatting files to fit the screen size. Maybe things are easier now, but I for one won't be giving up my easy-to-buy, easy-to-use Mobipocket files anytime soon...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #33
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
With reflow and DRM PDF support it might just work, but does this device offer that?
There is no mention of Adobe DRM, but it may have the best DRM-free PDF support of any 6" device:
Quote:
The zooming feature allows users to magnify the page size from 50% to 400%. And in the reflow mode, users can read the text that has been automatically reorganized to fit the screen size and also control the font size via the menu.
I agree that the market for this device is hard to define. However, it may be the case that companies will buy a PDF-only reader for an employee but not a classic e-book reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #34
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Given the incessant "but can I view my many PDFs on device X" questions on this forum, the decent price, and the fact that Foxit makes very good lightweight PDF software, there might well be a market.

If they've really hacked the PDF viewing (which I think is crap on readers currently out there, especially on more complex documents) it would make a great tool at work where PDFs roam freely and in great numbers. A million hardware and software manuals come to mind. I'd buy one for that alone.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #35
nexist
nexist began at the beginning.

Device: zire 72
I would rather they supported mobi and ditched the MP3 player. I have several MP3 players already. Why does everything think I need an MP3 Player &/or **##& camera on everything I own?
nexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexist View Post
I would rather they supported mobi and ditched the MP3 player. I have several MP3 players already. Why does everything think I need an MP3 Player &/or **##& camera on everything I own?
They can't ditch the MP3 player; it's part of the original hardware.

Foxit didn't design the ebook reader hardware; they licensed in from a Taiwanese company called Netronix. I'm pretty sure the eSlick is based on the Netronix EB-600 model.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #37
PDAToday
PDAToday began at the beginning.

Device: Nook and Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexist View Post
I think the idea on MP3 is that you can listen to your Book on Audio files. Sort of a one eBook device for reading and listening.

I have yet to even try the MP3 feature on my 505, but it's nice to know it there. Did'nt the last update add support for Audible? Or was I imagining that?

Bill

PDAToday
PDAToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDAToday View Post
I think the idea on MP3 is that you can listen to your Book on Audio files. Sort of a one eBook device for reading and listening.

I have yet to even try the MP3 feature on my 505, but it's nice to know it there. Did'nt the last update add support for Audible? Or was I imagining that?
You must have imagined it. But perhaps you could suggest it to audible or Sony.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #39
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gylman View Post
As a recent joiner to the ebook world (Sony 505), I have seen both the potential and the limitations of these devices.

Lousy PDF support on the Sony device has certainly been a major downside.

I keep hearing how PDF documents are not meant for electronic readers, but the fact is that my iPaq device using Acrobat Reader 2.5 for Windows Mobile does very well with them, MUCH better than Sony.

If Foxit can do significantly better, than they have a future in this market. I'll look forward to see how this evolves.
Well, Considering the Sony PDF support before the recent upgrade, one should be happy with it. I find the PDF support on the SONY 505 adequate.

Also, many have stated that PDF is not a good format for 6" screens. Try converting your book to .lrf for example.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #40
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Try NOT converting it to Mobipocket...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #41
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Well, Considering the Sony PDF support before the recent upgrade, one should be happy with it. I find the PDF support on the SONY 505 adequate.

Also, many have stated that PDF is not a good format for 6" screens. Try converting your book to .lrf for example.
In my opinion, the question isn't whether PDF is a good format for 6" screens, its whether the average ebook that is sold PDF format is formatted properly for a 6" screen. Go to feedbooks or to manybooks.net, both allow you to set up the page formatting for your specific reader. I have a jetbook, which has a 5" screen, and have found that feedbooks will produce perfectly readable PDFs on the 5" screen (I use feedbooks because I like paragraph indentation as opposed to skipping a line like manybooks.net does).

Now that being said, unless the device supports reflow, PDF is not the ideal ebook standard since once the book is in a given format, you can't resize the text without making it a poor fit for the screen. But if you are willing give that up, PDFs can work relatively well for reading ebooks.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #42
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Preorder has opened

They say that due to an "upgrade", the delivery will be in February / March...
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #43
crucify
crucify has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: hanlin v3
waiting for reviews.
crucify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
They say that due to an "upgrade", the delivery will be in February / March...
From http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ebook/:
Quote:
Due to an upgrade higher quality screen, the eSlick will be available around late February or early March.
I was wondering if the eSlick would use the Epson controller, since it is now available (in PRS-700 and soon in EZ Reader Pro/Plus), but the low price point argues against this. Higher quality screen could mean "more greyscales" (e.g. from Epson) in a pinch, but otherwise what could it mean?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #45
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I would also really like it to have the Epson controller, but that would seem too good to be true. The appearance is very recognizable as a rebranded Netronix 600 unit. If Netronix were to incorporate the Epson controller and a "higher quality screen" I would expect the outside to change drastically to show that it is indeed a new technology instead of the same old thing. And wouldn't Foxit want to brag about it at least a little? Every time I look at the specs list I keep hoping for more specific list.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote