Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-12-2023, 12:29 PM   #1
dougaldan
dougaldan began at the beginning.

Device: AMZ Kindle Fire 8th Gen and 12th Gen
Kindle 8HD 12th Gen Connectivity issues

I can successfully connect my Fire HD (12th Gen) to my pc via USB and navigate to the internal storage using windows explorer. I can also navigate on the Fire using a file manager.

The issue is that when I open certain folders on the Kindle (in the Android folder, where documents and books are located) I see 20+ sub-folders. However when I navigate to the same folder using windows explorer on the PC I see 0 subfolders. Properties shows 0 files and 0 subfolders.

If I do this on on my older Fire8 HD 8th Gen I see that same results on both platforms - that is a full listing of all the subfolders.

Any explanation would be appreciated as well as a way of accessing the invisible folders from the PC. I suspect this is just Amazon being difficult and hiding/locking the folders in some way.

All thoughts will, as always be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug
dougaldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #2
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
Don't know if this is the answer, but I'll throw it out anyway.

The most recent iteration of Fire OS includes an option to change the configuration of the USB port (under Settings | Device options | Developer settings). Have you experimented with that option to see if it makes any difference?
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
dougaldan
dougaldan began at the beginning.

Device: AMZ Kindle Fire 8th Gen and 12th Gen
Thanks for the response. I couldn't find anything I could change in the developer options.

I had a chat with Amazon. I described the issue and he immediately asked if I wanted to transfer books to the tablet. I said yes and he said just to drop them in the Documents folder. I did and it works fine. Seems that books can be in more than one location and still be picked up by the app.

That gets round the issue of me not being able to connect the Kindle to Calibre. I just copy the file out of the Calibre Library. Nor as elegant but it works for me.

I have Google Play Services installed so maybe this is causing some of the issues.
dougaldan is offline   Reply With Quote