Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What book that came first shall we read for March?
The Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang 10 43.48%
Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis 7 30.43%
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman 5 21.74%
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway 11 47.83%
Despite the Falling Snow by Shamim Sarif 2 8.70%
Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith 7 30.43%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 3 13.04%
Before the Fact by Francis Iles 2 8.70%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 8 34.78%
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 7 30.43%
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick 3 13.04%
Still Life (Chief Inspector Gamache #1) by Louise Penny 4 17.39%
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers 9 39.13%
The Body by Stephen King 6 26.09%
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck 9 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can see this is an approach that is possibly encouraged by the "only vote if you intend to participate rule" - by holding off until you can see if a book you like might win, and only voting if you think your vote can carry it over, you get to obey the letter of the rule if not necessarily the spirit of it.

After seeing how things worked last month, I don't think you would be alone in doing this. But the more people that do it the riskier it becomes as the deadline approaches, with everyone sitting there hitting refreshing waiting to be the last to cast their (hopefully deciding) vote, and also trying to make sure they get in early enough for their vote to count.
Well, assuming many people feel strongly about avoiding a particular book, sure. But how likely is that? Anyway, I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about the whole thing.

Quote:
What I find difficult is working out if I should vote for books I nominated. On a personal/selfish level this can be counter productive (I am here mostly in the hope of being exposed to new stuff but I have so far I have been nominating books I have already read because I know they are worth nominating); but why bother nominating them if I don't want to encourage others to read them? So far I've gone with voting for my nominations but sort of hoping that my other votes counts more.
I had been thinking about this myself, but with an unlimited number of votes allowed, there's no reason not to vote for the book you nominated.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I went ahead and suggested the Chiang book at the library, and voted for it. I'm not really convinced, but it's certainly a possibility. And maybe I'll get lucky and my Library will order it? Hey, it never hurts to have hope.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd really like to strongly suggest a nod for two of the books that aren't yet getting much uptake -- Elmer Gantry and The Old Man and the Sea. EG had a huge impact and is a powerful book, excellently adapted to the screen. I'll be reading it regardless, and watching the movie. The Hemingway is his finest book, superbly adapted to film with the author involved in the 50's adaptation. I admit, Spencer Tracy isn't exactly a Cuban fisherman, but he does well in it. And having read the book recently, when it became Public Domain in Canada, I can highly recommend it. An excellent book, well worth the awards it received.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Light Between Oceans is not getting enough love. It's a 10-star book (when the rating system only goes to 5). It's that good. So please vote for it and get it up there. It deserves to win.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-08-2018 at 12:13 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have finished converting the 1818 version of Frankenstein to ePub. I have cleaned up the rather sloppy code. It's well formatted will convert well to KF8/KFX.
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't voted yet, but The Light Between Oceans and Elmer Gantry are my top two choices. In fact, I already have the former on hold at my library.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I haven't voted yet, but The Light Between Oceans and Elmer Gantry are my top two choices. In fact, I already have the former on hold at my library.
Elmer Gantry is amazingly relevant today, both in regard to religion and to the cult of personality. It's an extremely powerful and entertaining book, and the film is pretty terrific, too. And the price is right.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Elmer Gantry is amazingly relevant today, both in regard to religion and to the cult of personality. It's an extremely powerful and entertaining book, and the film is pretty terrific, too. And the price is right.
It is a book I planned on reading this year anyway--I've been trying to read one or two classics a month. I have only the vaguest recollection of the book and the movie; I keep checking the TCM listings for the film, but so far it's not scheduled.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Happy to see Carson McCullers doing so well, even though I didn't nominate it. Her short story "Sucker" was in my top 10 last year.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Happy to see Carson McCullers doing so well, even though I didn't nominate it. Her short story "Sucker" was in my top 10 last year.
Yes, though I'm concerned that it's rather expensive at $10. It's slightly less at AmazonUK (£4.99 or ~$7 USD), but that's not an option for most of our members. OTOH, I had no difficulty getting a copy from the BC Public Library Overdrive, so if it wins, or you want to be proactive, folks should definitely check their library.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I didn't vote for McCullers because I have no desire to reread it. It's commonly taught in American high schools. I'd like to read something more contemporary and different so that's why I gave my vote to Ted Chiang instead.

Both are available at my libraries with no waits. Both are nominations that should lead to interesting discussion.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Personally, I prefer The Story of Your Life. I want something more modern and given the numbers, this is it.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I didn't vote for McCullers because I have no desire to reread it. It's commonly taught in American high schools. I'd like to read something more contemporary and different so that's why I gave my vote to Ted Chiang instead.

Both are available at my libraries with no waits. Both are nominations that should lead to interesting discussion.
This wasn't taught in my high school, or I'd have read it. At least it was in my library, since the Chaing was not.

Seriously, though, I'd prefer reading either Elmer Gantry or The Old Man and the Sea. Both should be obtainable by everyone. EG is a bit longer than absolutely desirable (430 pages), but with our longer lead times I don't think that's a huge issue. (And both should provide for decent discussion.)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #29
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I really like Story of Your Life. I only didn't vote for it because I've read it (and the collection it's in) twice in the last eighteen months or so.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:23 AM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
8 hours to go and latepaul's non-vote is the difference between first and second place. If you don't like the winner you can blame him I think.

Anyone planning on a last second vote to keep us on our toes?

Last call!

Spoiler:
In actuality, latepaul didn't vote for either of the front-runners (at this time) so he doesn't have anything to do with this but I couldn't resist.

latepaul, I hope you will forgive me. And I did vote for it, partly because you liked it enough to read it 2x in 18 months. That's a good endorsement in my book.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote