Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Zelandi
Enthusiast
Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Letto Frontlight/cybook muse
Kobo can't remember wifi or..do anything...

What a mess... Well, long story short I got an old but unused/factory-new kobo touch (the ones before touch 2.0). Returning it was not an option and still isn't

My computer would not recognize it (it would say ''set disk in storage E") even though the kobo think it is connected and I did chose ''connect'' on the screen.

I followed the steps on the bottom of this thred: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=177591 (formatting a partition on the SD-card inside the kobo)

Now the computer does find Kobo E-reader and I can open it as a folder to drop books in. Everythings fine on that end.

BUT...

...Now the kobo doesn't work. It asks me to chose language, set in the wifi-key and then it downloads updates. Then I get the intriguing option to click ''ok'' with no text or explanation.. and it starts over with the set up. Does not remember wifi-key or language choice etc and goes in a loop. I have no way of reaching anything or just skip setting it up.

It looks a bit different than before the sd-card format; instead of ''set up with wifi''/''set up with computer'' it say ''set up with wifi"/"Don't you have wifi?'' and things like that. It also seem to connect automaticlly with the computer. But it's small changes.

The "Kobo desktop" app on my computer dosn't recognize the e-reader before or after I messed with the internal sd-card.

I figure I managed to ruin something with the formatting, obviously (I am positive I only formatted that fat32 partion though).. it seems my e-reader suffers from short-time memory loss.

Is there anything I can do to get a working e-reader out of this?
I dunno... re-format with a new OS or something like you do with computers?
Or something even easier? Or anything at all?

I'm not very good with computer-stuff but I can usually follow instructions.. as long as Im not expected to write code...
And Im not picky. I want to be able to load books on it rom my compuer, and be able to read the books..if I can change text size and stuff that's nice. But that's retty much what I hope for.
Zelandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
Zelandi
Enthusiast
Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, and I did try to do a factory reset a few times, with that button on the back.

I have windows 10 on the compter, if that makes a differense for any option to fix it.

Last edited by Zelandi; 08-23-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Advert
Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandi View Post
oh, and I did ry to do a factory reset a few times, with that button on the back.
No clue on how to help. I just hope you didn't spend too much on it.

Though I will give you a laugh. Turns out I am not friends with your co-author. I am friends with his son.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And how can you be 100% sure, it was unused?
Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Zelandi
Enthusiast

I didn't spend more than I can lose

It came in a sealed, un-opened original package.. behaved like a new product with the only issue of not being seen by the computer (which seems extremely common with the kobo touch.). I can't be 100% sure but I saw no sign that it was not a factory new product. It's probably part of an unsold storage or something.

I found another way to do a factory-reset. It looks like the first time I started it now, I'll try to go through the set up again and see if it remembers it this time.

Haha! No wonder I didn't see you on the friends list..

Last edited by Zelandi; 08-23-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling issues. Sorry, not used to my new keyboard
Advert
Old 08-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
Zelandi
Enthusiast

*sigh*

OK, the new factory reset worked...sort of. The reader behaves as expected, and I can get to menues and stuff on the reader.
But I'm back to the first issue - he computer won't recognize the e-reader, even after I've pressed ''connect to computer to manage files'' and the kobo say it's connected.

Windows say I shuld insert disk in drive E.

I'll try it on my mac.. or else I guess I can put books on a external sd-card and maybe manage it that way... but it would be nice if things could just work for once.
The kobo desktop app still doesn't find the kobo e-reader. (neither des calibre..or well the computer)

Gotta love technology.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Which windows?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
Zelandi
Enthusiast

Windows 10.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #9
Zelandi
Enthusiast

I'll go back to searching for info/posts on the ''computer doesn't recognize kobo" problem. There's quite a lot of posts on that.. so it's either a non-fixable thing, or I'll find my answer somewhere on the internet

For now the kobo works on all other accounts except the connection issue.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandi View Post
Windows 10.
I kind of thought so. It is a known problem with certain Windows 10 editions.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
Zelandi
Enthusiast

I'll wait for the big update in a few weeks

I commented on the original thread (where I found the advice to format SD-card), just so that it gets noted that this looping set-up an happen and that the factory-reset reversed it again. (I saw that thread via google and didn't notice it was on this forum before I wrote this thread)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I kind of thought so. It is a known problem with certain Windows 10 editions.
Sometimes using a usb hub works, when using a usb port does not. That worked for me but it's one of several solutions. Trying different cables, trying a friend's pc.... . And some people have similar issues with other windows versions and other kobos
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote