Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #76
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I think you are over optimistic.
Considering the usual crown who buy Apple and reasons why they do it
Yes, let's hear more about these reasons.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #77
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I think you are over optimistic.
Considering the usual crowd who buy Apple and reasons why they do it, it would be quite a surprise if 20 for 200.000 sold were used for ebook reading.

If I am wrong, then within a few weeks you will see it everywhere in use by people reading ebooks. 20.000 ebook readers a week will make a walking/travelling library from the USA public transport.
I live in Chicago. I rarely see ANY ebook device in use in public.

But the iPad in particular you won't see, except maybe at wifi hot spots. While it is a portable device it is not easily used while in transit. The smaller devices are much better for that purpose. It's the same reason you see more people reading paperbacks than reading hardbacks. I read more on my iPad than I do on my iPhone or Sony. But it you were to judge my reading by what you would see in public, you'd think I do most of my reading in the iPhone, and the rest on my Sony with an occasional pbook here & there. Whereas my actual reading is done about 45/45 iPad & book, with the remaining 10 on my iPhone or Sony.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #78
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I live in Chicago. I rarely see ANY ebook device in use in public.

But the iPad in particular you won't see, except maybe at wifi hot spots. While it is a portable device it is not easily used while in transit. The smaller devices are much better for that purpose. It's the same reason you see more people reading paperbacks than reading hardbacks. I read more on my iPad than I do on my iPhone or Sony. But it you were to judge my reading by what you would see in public, you'd think I do most of my reading in the iPhone, and the rest on my Sony with an occasional pbook here & there. Whereas my actual reading is done about 45/45 iPad & book, with the remaining 10 on my iPhone or Sony.
Excellent points. I often read on my iPhone in public while I almost never used my Sony in public.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #79
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Only public place I've read my Kindle is airplanes (used to travel several times a year, not so much anymore) and the occasional waiting room where I knew I'd have a long wait.

Other than that I don't read in public--no smart phone etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #80
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Only public place I've read my Kindle is airplanes (used to travel several times a year, not so much anymore) and the occasional waiting room where I knew I'd have a long wait.

Other than that I don't read in public--no smart phone etc.
I always take my Kindle when I have a doctor appointment, or pretty much anywhere where I anticipate a long wait.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #81
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I bring my Nook on my commute to work, read during lunch etc.

It doesn't make much sense to me to read on my iPhone on a much smaller text when the Nook is just as portable and can be held in one hand.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #82
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
I took my Kindle outside in the bright sun for the first time today(good weather). I could easily see the text. Had I been reading on a backlit LCD screen, I'd have to move to the shade.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #83
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
I took my Kindle outside in the bright sun for the first time today(good weather). I could easily see the text. Had I been reading on a backlit LCD screen, I'd have to move to the shade.
You got that right. My buddy has the iPad, and while I admit is very fun and the graphics of the iBooks is quite stunning, but when we all went out by the pool, it was useless. Nook blew it away.

was out on my deck today waiting for dogs and burgers to grill up, enjoying a nice beer and reading my Nook.

The iPad would be great if you were a heavy traveler. But for the day to day reader. Nah.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #84
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
And then you could read and avoid skin cancer all at once!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #85
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I grew up in the tropics, so maybe I'm different, but sitting in full sun and reading does not appeal to me at all. Even when I sit outside, I stay under shade, for my skin, as well as my eyes. If you're sitting on sand or something else reflective, be careful. Prolonged exposure can damage your eyes as well (cataracts and such). Would be good to have a dark Kindle skin or case, too, because the white case is hard on the eyes.

I enjoyed my Kindle for 15 months before I got an iPad, and I still have it, but you won't catch me in full sun with either.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-23-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #86
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Let's be brutally honest. Most people who have already purchased an iPad (please note I said most not all) have only done so as

1 - They believe the hype
2 - They think it makes them look cool
3 - They like eye candy over features
4 - They think it makes them superior to their friends
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #87
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonize View Post
Let's be brutally honest. Most people who have already purchased an iPad (please note I said most not all) have only done so as

1 - They believe the hype
2 - They think it makes them look cool
3 - They like eye candy over features
4 - They think it makes them superior to their friends
Or they think it is a legitimately interesting and useful gadget. Unless a similar or superior tablet comes out later this year, I'll probably get one myself.

Sure, lots of people buy a solution looking for a problem, and lots of people buy products to fit with what they think is a forward-looking public trend. Yep it's pretty ridiculous what justifications people use to buy stuff.

What's even more ridiculous though is how you use the statement "let's be brutally honest" to rehash a common complaint about Apple, the iPad and Apple consumers.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 05-23-2010 at 05:34 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #88
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Or they think it is a legitimately interesting and useful gadget. Unless a similar or superior tablet comes out later this year, I'll probably get one myself.
I personally don't see how it is that useful. It's main purpose is as a multimedia device and it's limited in that due to Steve Job's not liking Flash.

Despite what Steve Jobs says about the iPad supporting standards and not needing Flash he is talking out of his behind. HTML5 and CSS3 are not standards as they are both still in draft and subject to change. Even a codec for the video tag has not yet been decided on. Originally OGG Theora was specified but Apple complained and so now there is no standard codec for it with Firefox using OGG Theora and Chrome using H264 (which MS has also decided to go with). And even if HTML5 was now standard how many video sites actually support the video tag as well as using Flash? Unless I am mistaken it is only YouTube and even then you have to opt in to it.

As to ebooks Apple will do exactly what they have done with the iPhone/iPod which is force you to use their proprietary software to put the books on your device which is hardly embracing open source as Steve Jobs ranted on about in his anti Flash speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
What's even more ridiculous though is how you use the statement "let's be brutally honest" to rehash a common complaint about Apple, the iPad and Apple consumers.
So if it's a common complaint doesn't it mean that lots of people are of the same opinion and if a lot of people are of the same opinion doesn't it mean the chances of it being the truth are pretty high? And before someone else brings it in to the equation yes I am well aware of human stupidity and yes at one point everyone believed the world was flat but that didn't mean it was the truth.

On a different note the sooner the Dutch company working on colour eInk that has a refresh rate of 24fps gets it perfected the sooner we can start to move away from energy wasting backlit LCD.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #89
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonize View Post
I personally don't see how it is that useful. It's main purpose is as a multimedia device and it's limited in that due to Steve Job's not liking Flash.
-rantsnip-
Ah I see, you have an MO. Good luck sir.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #90
carbonize
Connoisseur

Hmm I don't think you actually understand what an MO or modus operandi is. Possibly the term you were looking for was agenda but even then you would of been incorrect. My only agenda is one of a person who doesn't like people who preach about open standards but at the same time force people to use closed source software or to buy the manufacturers own parts.

Tags
ipad