Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Evanst
Evanst began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Sci-fi, fantasy and/or post-apocalyptic book suggestions

Hello there
i'm searchinng for a new reading on those genres. Here are other aspects that i would like to found in the recoms:
--One male lead and one female lead. Both of them have to be important for the plot, and i don't really have issues with more than one Pov. I really enjoyed the Mistborn series and The Passage from Justin Cronin, though maybe The Stormlight Archive have just too many PoV's.
--No characters that are badass or have a lot of expierience from the beggining. At least not the main characters.
--And most important: the characters have to be likeable. No male leads with the "bad boy" issue or with a twisted moral. No female leads that can shake the world with their hyped strong personality, and definitely no female characters that fall in love with every guy they see.

I don't know if i'm being too specific on this, but i really hope you guys can help me! thanks for reading
Evanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Daniel Abraham's "The Dagger and the Coin" series has good male and female leads and an entertaining story.

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton is a doorstop novel about future society. Male lead for the cop/murder mystery portion and a female lead for the "alien monster hunting portion".
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Lois McMaster Bujold: The Spirit Ring
Quote:
In an alternate Renaissance Italy where the church regulates magic and licenses magicians, fiery Fiametta Beneforte wants to be more than her goldsmith-mage father's unpaid apprentice. But when the Duchy of Montefoglia is laid under military and magical siege, she unexpectedly must join with Thur Ochs, a young Swiss miner and foundryman, to tap their skills in both metalwork and necromancy to rescue her father's soul and combat an evil sorcerer.
Elizabeth Moon: Once a Hero
Quote:
Esmay Suiza left her home planet of Altiplano to join the Regular Space Service, even though her family expected her to become the Landbride of their estancia. Altiplano is only an affiliate world of the Familias Regnant; they have no Seat in Council, and Esmay is not a command track officer...until, as the senior survivor of a mutiny, she takes command and saves the day. Now she's under some suspicion--why had she hidden such ability?--and takes a long leave at home. But old wounds return, and she returns to the Fleet, to be assigned to a Deepspace Repair Ship in her "proper" role as technical track. There she meets Barin Serrano, Heris's relative...and there she learns that ability cannot be hidden easily.
Zen Cho: Sorcerer to the Crown
Quote:
Zacharias Wythe, England’s first African Sorcerer Royal, is contending with attempts to depose him, rumours that he murdered his predecessor, and an alarming decline in England’s magical stocks. But his troubles are multiplied when he encounters runaway orphan Prunella Gentleman, who has just stumbled upon English magic’s greatest discovery in centuries.
The protagonists in this one may be a bit too competent at the start to fit your criteria -- at least Zacharias, who is an educated sorcerer at the beginning of the book (but still has a lot to learn). It's a really good book, though, and has one of my favourite quotes in any book ever:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer to the Crown
Prunella had once thought life in London would be all flirting and balls and dresses, hitting attentive suitors on the shoulder with a fan, and breakfasting late upon bowls of chocolate. She sighed now for her naïveté. Little had she known life in London was in fact all hexes and murder and thaumaturgical politics, and she would always be rising early for some reason or other!
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Sorcerer to the Crown sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I found the characters from Steven R. Boyett's _Ariel_ quite likable, and aside from the ridiculous effectiveness of the protagonist's blowgun, the whole a lot of fun. The sequel, _Elegy Beach_ is quite well done, but I doubt you'd like it.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A really good book is The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Beck Chambers. I found it very enjoyable. And if you like good characters, this is the book for you.

Quote:
A rollicking space adventure with a lot of heart

When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The patched-up ship has seen better days, but it offers her everything she could possibly want: a spot to call home, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and some distance from her past.

And nothing could be further from what she's known than the crew of the Wayfarer.

From Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, to Kizzy and Jenks, the chatty engineers who keep the ship running, to the noble captain Ashby, life aboard is chaotic and crazy—exactly what Rosemary wants. That is until the crew is offered the job of a lifetime tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet. Sure, they'll earn enough money to live comfortably for years, but risking her life wasn't part of the job description.

The journey through the galaxy is full of excitement, adventure, and mishaps for the Wayfarer team. And along the way, Rosemary comes to realize that a crew is a family, and that family isn't necessarily the worst thing in the universe…as long as you actually like them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I found "The MoonDark Saga" available in Kindle Unlimited (at least it was) to be very readable. I gave a quickie review of it, here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=279651

The first book was wonderful, and the second was quite good, however the 3rd book, I thought was the weakest. But that first book is really quite good.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Max Gladstone's Craft series. The first book is "Three Parts Dead." I only read the first two books but intend to continue the series, quite good so far.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Anything by Arthur C Clarke. He has some very good apocalyptic short stories that really creep me out. I love the Odyssey series and the Time series. The Stand by Steven King
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'll go out on a limb and recommend David Brin's Startide Rising. It goes a little bit outside of your rule for leads that do not "have a lot of experience from the beginning," in that the leads are extremely competent at their nominal job descriptions. But what makes the book interesting is that all of the characters are thrown into a situation for which they are not at all experienced/prepared--outsmarting and escaping from a horde of alien armies.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I'll go out on a limb and recommend David Brin's Startide Rising. It goes a little bit outside of your rule for leads that do not "have a lot of experience from the beginning," in that the leads are extremely competent at their nominal job descriptions. But what makes the book interesting is that all of the characters are thrown into a situation for which they are not at all experienced/prepared--outsmarting and escaping from a horde of alien armies.
That's the second book in the series. The first book is Sundiver. It was OK. But I tried to read Startide Rising and it was so awful I could not finish it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-11-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's the second book in the series. The first book is Sundiver. It was OK. But I tried to read Startide Rising and it was so awful I could not finish it.
The two books are only loosely tied together. I would describe them as books in the same universe rather than a true series. I read Startide Rising before I read Sundiver. I liked Startide Rising a lot more than Sundiver. It won both the Hugo and Nebula for best novel back in 1983.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The two books are only loosely tied together. I would describe them as books in the same universe rather than a true series. I read Startide Rising before I read Sundiver. I liked Startide Rising a lot more than Sundiver. It won both the Hugo and Nebula for best novel back in 1983.
We had a rather big discussion on series and overall, people want to know as much information about the series as possible. I would say they are part of a series and not loosely tied together. But the thing is, give as much information as possible so others can make their own choice as to the series.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #14
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
It's been years since I've read any S.M. Stirling but I'm thinking his Emberverse Series might meet you're criteria.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
If you don't mind the female lead being non-human, I've mentioned he Goblin Trilogy by Jaq D. Hawkins in a couple of threads but this one cries for it.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
post-apocalytpic, sci fi and fantasy