Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-31-2017, 07:38 AM   #76
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks very much for that link, fantasyfan. I have just downloaded it and had a quick look, and it does end with a drawing of Alice Liddell, rather than one of the photographs. Perhaps the British Library changed that since you downloaded your copy.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #77
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
I read both Sylvie and Bruno and Sylvie and Bruno Concluded.
I liked the humour and disliked the poems.
Better the first one (It's a rather confusing book by the changes of scene) and slow the second one (it's plenty of moral and hard to read -at least for me-).
Over all, it's very disjointed.

Good luck and a happy new year.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #78
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks very much for that link, fantasyfan. I have just downloaded it and had a quick look, and it does end with a drawing of Alice Liddell, rather than one of the photographs. Perhaps the British Library changed that since you downloaded your copy.
I found the answer. Here it is!

“The story, which began life as ‘Alice’s Adventures Under Ground’, was first told to Alice and her sisters, Lorina and Edith, on a trip down the river on 4 July 1862. The children enjoyed the story so much that Alice asked Dodgson to write it down for her. Written in sepia-coloured ink and including 37 pen and ink illustrations (and a coloured title page) the manuscript was presented to Alice as an early Christmas present on 26 November 1864. Dodgson was not an artist and had some difficulties with the illustrations; he pasted a photograph of Alice (he was a keen photographer) over a drawing of her that he had included. The original drawing would not be seen again until it was uncovered in 1977. The photograph is now attached to a paper flap, enabling readers to see the illustration underneath.”

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-31-2017 at 03:19 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #79
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, thank you fantasyfan. It's always good to be able to solve these little mysteries, isn't it!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #80
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
I read both Sylvie and Bruno and Sylvie and Bruno Concluded.
I liked the humour and disliked the poems.
Better the first one (It's a rather confusing book by the changes of scene) and slow the second one (it's plenty of moral and hard to read -at least for me-).
Over all, it's very disjointed.

Good luck and a happy new year.
Welcome jcn363. Do stay with us, to read Whose Body? in January, and then moving to the New Leaf Book Club with book selection in January and discussion of that choice in February.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #81
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Do stay with us, to read Whose Body? in January, and then moving to the New Leaf Book Club with book selection in January and discussion of that choice in February.

I'll do.
Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #82
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd like to thank everyone for giving the MobileRead Book Club a great send-off and echo Bookpossum's call to support the newcomer, the New Leaf Book Club. I'm very excited about the new club and everything that's happening with it, and I know I'm not the only one. And I couldn't imagine anyone I'd rather have at the helm than issybird!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #83
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd like to thank everyone for giving the MobileRead Book Club a great send-off and echo Bookpossum's call to support the newcomer, the New Leaf Book Club. I'm very excited about the new club and everything that's happening with it, and I know I'm not the only one. And I couldn't imagine anyone I'd rather have at the helm than issybird!
Aw shucks, Tom!

But I'll take this opening to remind people that the discussion for Whose Body? will be the last hurrah for the MR Club. I'd like to encourage everyone, no matter your former or future book club affiliation or lack thereof, to give it a try. It's a quick and fun read and either dirt cheap or free, depending on your market; there are also various free options for borrowing the audiobook, with a choice of excellent narrators.

And as Mickey Rooney did not say, "Hey, kids, let's put on a show! book club!

See you on January 8 for the February poll (nominations are still open) and January 15 for Whose Body?

Last edited by issybird; 01-04-2018 at 01:23 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #84
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Lovely post Tom, and I couldn’t agree more on having issybird as our leader.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #85
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Perhaps the real reason the quality of these books were not on a par with his earlier works is because by the time Sylvie and Bruno and its sequel were being written, much of his attention was being drawn away by his new hobby of murdering prostitutes in the streets of London.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:27 AM   #86
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Perhaps the real reason the quality of these books were not on a par with his earlier works is because by the time Sylvie and Bruno and its sequel were being written, much of his attention was being drawn away by his new hobby of murdering prostitutes in the streets of London.
I had not heard that before. ... For some reason I find it more believable after Sylvie and Bruno than after Alice in Wonderland ... maybe Wallace was onto something after all.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote