Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
VanTT
VanTT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505/Silver
Received Great Deal on Reader at Borders

I finally decided to take the plunge on the Sony Reader 505 today and went to Borders to make my purchase. I was surprised to find that my local Borders was completely out of stock, especially since I saw a stack of them a couple of days ago. I went to another Borders a bit further and there was only 2 left. I didn't know it would be a hot Christmas item. The price on the Reader was $299.99 as I expected, but when I went to the register and used my Borders Reward card the cashier told me that she can take 20% off the item. That's a $60 saving! I didn't have to use coupon or anything. She just applied the saving at the register. I don't know if this is an after Christmas deal or what, but I am elated to get the Reader for only $239. Not only that, but the register also printed out a $50 coupon that can be applied at the Borders ebook store for any titles. The device also comes with a Border ebook store installation CD for new register that suppose to offer a $10 coupon code in the box, but I couldn't find it. So, I will bring the box and receipt to Borders tomorrow to see if I can get the coupon.

Anyway, I am very happy with the sweet deal that I got from Borders and Sony.

Here're the saving and values from Borders:
Reader $239.99 after 20% off with Borders Reward Card (after Christmas deal?)
Borders eBook store coupon $50
New register $10 credit at Borders ebook store (couldn't find the code in box, will see if I can get the coupon tomorrow)
100 Classic titles from Sony

After using my Reader for a few hours, I couldn't be more happier with my purchase, especially with the great deal I got from Borders!
VanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello VanTT, Glad you are happy with your Sony
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTT View Post
[snip]I don't know if this is an after Christmas deal or what, but I am elated to get the Reader for only $239. Not only that, but the register also printed out a $50 coupon that can be applied at the Borders ebook store for any titles.[snip]

Congratulations on your purchase and also congratulations for finding reading bliss -- I know I have read mine every day since I bought it last March and am dreading the day it might break!

I bet that those price savings are because Borders is hoping for large sales when its partnership with Sony goes live online in January. It's the old hardware/software issue -- make little or nothing on a content-driven piece of hardware and then make lots of money on subsequent purchases of content.

Enjoy it and be certain to pay the mortgage/rent and the utilities each month BEFORE visiting the Borders/Sony web-site!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
To feed your reader....10,000 LRF (for Sony reader) formated books on a single DVD for $9.99
http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=650

classic books....
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Hesitating to reply to my own response, the thought just popped into my head -- back after Sony got beaten in the VHS/betamax battle because of lack of content for the Sony product, they went out and bought Columbia, lock/stock&barrel so they would have great content for the CD battles they knew were coming as well as for the DVD battles they knew would eventually happen, and so they have been able to forge their own way.

I wonder if at some point Sony might buy a large publishing conglomerate in order to ensure content for the reader as it battles the Kindle and the cybook.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
piaki
piaki began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Hello all,
I got a PRS-500 display model w/o cover and password protected for $70.00. The Sony helpdesk told me how to reset the password, and kudos to them...I purchased a M-edge cover for it so I can take it to the gym for my elliptical workouts and then I found this wonderful site...Xmas was good!!! Happy New Year to all!
piaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Congrats Van.

I checked at my two closest Borders now and they have zero discount on the Sony reader, even for a rewards card holder. Their holiday coupons specifically excluded the reader. Not only that but neither store manager has heard about the $50 credit deal! It does not show on their current or upcoming promotion lists, despite my showing them my Borders beta-site promotion print-out. They had no codes or special CD packages to give away with the readers yet.

All they could suggest is someone at corporate pulled the trigger too early.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
VikingDave
VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
The 20% off was a mistake as I am a Border's reward member and had the same coupon. It excludes the reader, so it was fortunate to get that deal. As for the $50 credit, the Borders staff where I bought mine didn't know about it either (although it is in their Ads and has been for weeks). When you purchase it, the register automatically prints out how to redeem the credit with your receipt, so you get that credit along with the $10 credit on the box.

So far I am very pleased with my Sony Reader as well, although the Borders/Sony Ebook Store leaves a lot to be desired. I could have put together something more professional and I'm just a hobbyist with programming and websites.
VikingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How? Where?

Which Borders was this? My local store claims that there was (and is) no such offer. I did get an e-mail 20% Rewards coupon, but it specifically excludes the Reader (and Zune).

This would be a great price, but I can't seem to duplicate your feat (and they have six or seven Readers sitting in a case!)
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
VanTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDave View Post
The 20% off was a mistake as I am a Border's reward member and had the same coupon. It excludes the reader, so it was fortunate to get that deal. As for the $50 credit, the Borders staff where I bought mine didn't know about it either (although it is in their Ads and has been for weeks). When you purchase it, the register automatically prints out how to redeem the credit with your receipt, so you get that credit along with the $10 credit on the box.

So far I am very pleased with my Sony Reader as well, although the Borders/Sony Ebook Store leaves a lot to be desired. I could have put together something more professional and I'm just a hobbyist with programming and websites.
VikingDave,

If you also installed the CD and registered with the Borders/Sony Ebook Store, try to redeem the $50 credit using the code gift code HOLIDAYGIFT (case sensitive) under "Account", then "Redeem a code." On my receipt, that's the code that was printed. Must redeem code by 1/15/08. Worth a try if you didn't get the deal. Let us know if it works. Also, I received my $10 credit code when I went back to Borders yesterday. It was a sticker with a scratch off area for the code. Borders just didn't stick it on my box.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-30-2007 at 04:09 AM. Reason: gift code added back
Old 12-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
VanTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Which Borders was this? My local store claims that there was (and is) no such offer. I did get an e-mail 20% Rewards coupon, but it specifically excludes the Reader (and Zune).

This would be a great price, but I can't seem to duplicate your feat (and they have six or seven Readers sitting in a case!)
Curtw,

The Borders I went to was at Clearwater, Florida. Some members suggested that the 20% discount was a mistake by the cashier. I think I believe that might be the case. I expected to pay $299.99, but the cashier just told me she could take 20% off and applied at the register. I was so grateful that I didn't ask why I am qualified for the discount, in case she changed her mind. On my receipt, the code she used was "20%STANDARD". I apologize if you went to Borders expecting the same deal. As mentioned in my original post, I didn't know why I received the great saving.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
VanTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Congrats Van.

I checked at my two closest Borders now and they have zero discount on the Sony reader, even for a rewards card holder. Their holiday coupons specifically excluded the reader. Not only that but neither store manager has heard about the $50 credit deal! It does not show on their current or upcoming promotion lists, despite my showing them my Borders beta-site promotion print-out. They had no codes or special CD packages to give away with the readers yet.

All they could suggest is someone at corporate pulled the trigger too early.
Penforhire,

As a Reward member, I received a promotional email from Borders on the 26th for their after Christmas deals. On the bottom was a promotion for the $50 ebook credit on the Sony Reader. When I went to purchase the Reader that day, I expected the $50 credit but not the 20% discount. That's why I was so elated when I got home and had to share my experience at this forum. If this was indeed a mistake by the cashier, I apologize to everyone who was inconvenienced by my post while trying to get the same deal.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
VanTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and also congratulations for finding reading bliss -- I know I have read mine every day since I bought it last March and am dreading the day it might break!

Enjoy it and be certain to pay the mortgage/rent and the utilities each month BEFORE visiting the Borders/Sony web-site!

Yes, so far, I love using my Reader. On my first night, I downloaded ten books from the Borders/Sony store. 4 contemporary bestsellers (A Thousand Splendid Suns, Einstein, The Pillars of the Earth, Collapse) and 6 Classics. I still haven't used up my credits. The problem on my first night was I didn't know which book to begin...lol! I ended up finishing "A Thousand Splendid Suns" in two nights. I was totally absorded and engrossed by the tragic tales of the characters. However, having also read "The Kite Runner" by the same author, I don't know if I can stand another round of heartbreaking tragedies if he decides to write another similar book. I will try to pick something that is lighthearted tonight. Keep enjoying your Reader as well!

Last edited by VanTT; 12-28-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Vantt - THANK YOU so much! The code worked! I got the following for $1.48:

Born Standing Up - Steve Martin
Musicophilia - Oliver Saks
Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell
Walt Disney - Neal Gabler
Scientific American's Ask The Experts

The funny thing is that I attempted to purchase Lone Survivor for the full ebook price but my CC had a protection hold from the bank, and when I got it removed it wouldn't go through... added the other ones and since the final amount was different, it went through. So you saved me $8 and got me 4 free books! Thanks!

The other books I got for ~$30 total (had another $50 Sony credit):
Einstein - Walter Isaacson
The Nine - Jeffrey Toobin
The Best Book Of Useless Information Ever - Noel Botham
Choosing A Jewish Life - Anita Diamant
On Writing - Stephen King
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
I Am America - Stephen Colbert
Fair Game - Valerie Plame Wilson
House To House - David Bellavia

And of course the 100 Classics
Sadly I paid the full $323.24 for my reader But worth every penny.

Now if I could find the time to READ them... nah, too much to ask.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-28-2007 at 07:01 PM.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
VanTT

Yesterday, I decided to splurge on the black Sony Premium Leather Case but all 3 Borders that I went were out of stock. I saw a few pink ones though. I also visited CompUSA to get a generic AC charger as the Sony brand is $29.99. CompUSA is going out of business and most of the items are marked down 10-30% off. I saw a demo Reader as none is in stock. I am curious as to how much CompUSA will discount the Reader if it's in stock.