Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Got a camera and 360? Stupid request!

Dulin's Books mentioned over in another thread that anti-aliasing can be turned off in the PocketBook models, and since there are not many PocketBooks to be seen around Taiwan that I've noticed, I probably won't be able to see it in action to know how it looks.

I'm not sure what size screen the PB360 has precisely, so I threw together a 100mm x 75mm PDF with a typical Chinese "book" serif typeface (新細明體), which displays quite poorly with very low contrast on the PRS-505. It's just a font test basically.

Was wondering if anyone who has a PB360 could load this up and take a closeup snap with and without font anti-aliasing? You'd need to shoot macro to get close enough to photograph the difference effectively, but it'd be a big help to me.

Thanks in advance if anyone can oblige.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf quickchinesetest.pdf (190.7 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by LDBoblo; 12-31-2009 at 03:53 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I was going to ask you if you could provide a chinese text . thanks! here are some screen shots both on an off.

the screenshot feature really comes in handy.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0006.bmp (234.5 KB, 436 views)
File Type: bmp scr0009.bmp (234.5 KB, 403 views)
File Type: bmp scr0007.bmp (234.5 KB, 376 views)
File Type: bmp scr0008.bmp (234.5 KB, 383 views)
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

here i've taken 2 of the shots and overlapped them so you could better see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr0008.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	42245  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Thanks, but I was really hoping for a camera shot. Screenshots only tell me what fonts look like with and without anti-aliasing, but do not tell me whatsoever the effect on an EPD like Vizplex, which is where the big problem exists. I already know what the fonts look like without anti-aliasing on a computer screen, and I know what they look like with anti-aliasing on a PRS-505's screen (quite unpleasant)... I am simply wondering how the anti-aliasing affects the apparent contrast and clarity of the text on an EPD. Screenshots don't really do that...they have to be photos of the actual display.

But thank you for the effort! I do appreciate it.

Addendum: Was the file the wrong size? I was hoping to see it at 100%. It seems that the bottom 2 characters of each line were cut off. I chose 8pt as it is the largest size I'd like to work with on a 5" screen in order to have enough characters per line for reasonable typesetting. A larger font more or less undermines the exercise, since I'm trying to assess the readability and clarity on Vizplex (which I know in anti-aliased state is poor on the PRS-505, as I said).

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-01-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Oh sorry i wasn't thinking. Ill get some photos later today or tomorrow at 100% for you.
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Here is the screen with acitvated AA:

(Link: http://de.tinypic.com/r/ifvqs0/6)

Here the screen without AA:

(Link: http://de.tinypic.com/r/256ff5h/6 )

I think there is only a little diffrent, but all signs works perfectly

Ulli
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard

Many thanks! I guess the pdf was just a little too big to display completely on the screen though.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-02-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

no i zoomed in because it was too small it only filled ~3/4 of the screen, i couldnt check if it was completely displayed because this things are chinese for me

Ulli
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
no i zoomed in because it was too small it only filled ~3/4 of the screen, i couldnt check if it was completely displayed because this things are chinese for me

Ulli
Odd, I wonder what the correct PDF size is for the PB360.

No big deal though...I got the basic result I was looking for, so I'm pretty satisfied. Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Ulli
(-:

It has a great working reflow mode. So there is no real PDF size for it.

Calculated through the reflow the size the screen is showing up is about 125x170 (or vice versa) (calculated ascept ratio 1,36 the original is 1,33 [600x800])

Ulli
Old 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Ulli thanks for doing the pics- I hadn't had a moment to do so yet.