Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Or if you don't need the light, the basic kindle.
I don't know, that light is pretty nice! I don't think I could go back to my elderly Sony devices after my PW2, I have the Sony covers with little light on a gooseneck , and it has always been too bright and caused too much glare.

If I ever get another ePub reader, it will have to be equipped with a built in screen light like the Paperwhite devices.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Of course, all of these are only 6 inch readers whereas the H2O has a 6.8 inch screen. (I have the original H2O but found it too big and uncomfortable for extended reading, but many others love the extra area. The new H2O2 is lighter than the old H2O, though not significantly smaller.)
After having used the H2O, I really like the size of the screen. It's bigger than a 6" screen, but not too big. It's very nice to read with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The basic Kindle does not have a 300ppi screen.
So? I didn't see that as a requirement. I have looked at both a paperwhite and a basic kindle. I can't tell the difference in the screen quality. They looked about the same to me.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I don't know, that light is pretty nice! I don't think I could go back to my elderly Sony devices after my PW2, I have the Sony covers with little light on a gooseneck , and it has always been too bright and caused too much glare.

If I ever get another ePub reader, it will have to be equipped with a built in screen light like the Paperwhite devices.
I looked at a paperwhite. I didn't like that light. But I don't like book lights either.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So? I didn't see that as a requirement. I have looked at both a paperwhite and a basic kindle. I can't tell the difference in the screen quality. They looked about the same to me.
I was responding to the post:

Quote:
In Europe, if you want to spend less than a Kobo H2O 2nd Edition will cost you, and get a sharp 300dpi screen, your options are ...
Therefore saying "or the basic Kindle" is an unhelpful addition, since it does not have a 300dpi screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #21
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
The basic Kindle has only a 167dpi screen. That really is rather low definition. It is a very cheap reader though.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

You know I think the most important question should always be what is your budget for an ereader.
Not everyone can afford to spend $100+ on a niche item.
Sometimes that $40 can make a difference.
Oh and it appears all kindles are $20 off right now except the Oasis which is still in stock.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #23
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh and it appears all kindles are $20 off right now except the Oasis which is still in stock.
Not in Europe at present. The OP's country is Netherlands.

Your point on budget is a good one. Mind you, sometimes if one then learns that for €X extra one can get A, B and C too, a quick search down the back of the chair reveals the extra funds.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #24
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
You know I think the most important question should always be what is your budget for an ereader.
Not everyone can afford to spend $100+ on a niche item.
Sometimes that $40 can make a difference.
The OP has already stated that Amazon isn't really a thing in their country and they don't plan to buy books from there. Only Amazon.com is having a sale on Kindles, although Canada has $20 off a Paperwhite right now. The rest are still full price it seems.

Even at $60 I still think the extra PPI and light is well worth the money. I ended up trading up to a PW3 after owning the basic Kindle for a few months because of how much the sharpness and lack of light bothered me. Also it's not very comfortable or at least the Kindle 7 wasn't. I haven't seen an 8 yet.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:11 PM   #25
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
The basic Kindle has only a 167dpi screen. That really is rather low definition. It is a very cheap reader though.
The Kindle Touch had a 167 ppi screen which was the same as my Sony eReaders, and that level, on the Sony devices, was quite comfortable for reading. The smallest and thinnest fonts DID tend to be a TINY bit grayer than my PW2 device, but a slightly larger or thicker font made them quite usable.

The basic Kindle may well be a cheaply made device, but from what I've read about it, it is hardly unusable. That being said, I'm certain that most people would prefer a more convenient reader, overall. But for the money, is there something better?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #26
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The Kindle Touch had a 167 ppi screen which was the same as my Sony eReaders, and that level, on the Sony devices, was quite comfortable for reading. The smallest and thinnest fonts DID tend to be a TINY bit grayer than my PW2 device, but a slightly larger or thicker font made them quite usable.

The basic Kindle may well be a cheaply made device, but from what I've read about it, it is hardly unusable. That being said, I'm certain that most people would prefer a more convenient reader, overall. But for the money, is there something better?
Personally, I do use a smallish font. I have both a 212 dpi reader and 300 dpi readers and I find quite a difference between the screens. I could live with 212 dpi, if I had to. I gave away my old 167 dpi reader last year because I knew I would never want to read on 167 dpi again.

The Kindle is €81 in Amazon.nl. For €119 one could get The Tolino Shine 2 Hd, which is front-lit, with a 300 dpi screen. I do feel that is probably better value for money.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In case anyone missed it in the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smannesman View Post

The Kindle series is not really an option for me, Amazon is not particularly well represented in my country and since I don't buy my e-books through Amazon it just doesn't seem to fit my requirements.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #28
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My suggestion is to get a Kobo since it's the major brand and the others you mentioned are pretty much off-brands. I don't know much about those off-brands so if you do know something about their service and warranty policies just ignore this. I just think it's best to stick with a major brand.

I wouldn't consider getting an ereader without a front-light these days but other than that I'm not sure it matters a lot which model you get. They're all good. Some are better than others but all are just fine for reading.

My personal preference is for Kindles although I also have Kobos and Nooks. Of those I'd say avoid the Nook and either of the others are just fine.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:44 AM   #29
Smannesman
Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo H2O
A lot of really good input here guys, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
My suggestion is to get a Kobo since it's the major brand and the others you mentioned are pretty much off-brands. I don't know much about those off-brands so if you do know something about their service and warranty policies just ignore this. I just think it's best to stick with a major brand.
Warranty and service is indeed always a thing I keep in mind, having to ship a product to a different country to get it repaired is a pain.
That's one of the reasons I've never bought a Chinese tablet or smartphone from somewhere like AliExpress for example.
Smannesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #30
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote