Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Smannesman
Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo H2O
Lightbulb Looking to replace broken e-reader

For the past five or so years I've enjoyed my Sony PRS-T1 reader, but now it's unfortunately no longer fully functional.
Back then picking one was quite easy, but now it's a bit more difficult for me.
Partially because of my financial situation and partially because there is just more choice.

What I'm looking for is a good e-reader for primarily side-loaded books (I believe that's the term anyway) using Calibre.
The Kindle series is not really an option for me, Amazon is not particularly well represented in my country and since I don't buy my e-books through Amazon it just doesn't seem to fit my requirements.
From what I've seen so far several brands seem to be popular and readily available, namely: Kobo, Tolino, Pocketbook, Icarus and I've even seen one Onyx.

Now there are a ton of Kobo's, but the three most popular (and thus easily available) seem to be: Kobo Auro H2O (2nd Edition), Kobo Aura One and the Kobo Aura (2nd Edition).
I've read several bad things about the H2O concerning usage with Calibre and database corruption which is concerning to me. The Auro One is the most expensive which I'm not wild about (finances and such).

The Tolino Vision 4 HD looks pretty good on paper, but is also not cheap and I've seen some mixed reviews. But since it doesn't seem to be very popular among non-German speaking customers I haven't found a lot of information about it.

I don't know too much about any of the other brands unfortunately, which is why I decided to ask you guys about it.
It seems like a community of people that enjoy reading 'on the go' as it were would be a good source of hands-on information.

Oh and technically a tablet would also be a possibility, but I've liked how little strain e-ink puts on the eyes and the battery life of e-readers.
Smannesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would just note that if you sideload your books from Calibre, it's irrelevant where you buy your books from. I have a Kindle, and everything on it is loaded from Calibre.

Just for your information. Not trying to suggest that you buy a Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you have eBooks in ePub, I suggest a Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2. I moved from a T1 to and H2O and it is so much nicer then the T1. Better screen, larger size, higher resolution, much clearer text, hyphens, most font control, more internal storage, front light, and faster. The H2O has it all over the T1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smannesman View Post
Now there are a ton of Kobo's, but the three most popular (and thus easily available) seem to be: Kobo Auro H2O (2nd Edition), Kobo Aura One and the Kobo Aura (2nd Edition).
I don't really think you can call those the most popular. They are the only three ereaders Kobo is selling in most markets. The original Aura H2O is still available in some places, but that's probably to get rid of the last batch made. But, it is a good choice.
Quote:
I've read several bad things about the H2O concerning usage with Calibre and database corruption which is concerning to me. The Auro One is the most expensive which I'm not wild about (finances and such).
Any comments about the Aura H2O are probably talking about the original version. I don't think there have been enough of the Edition 2 around to see any sort of trends. But, all of the Kobo devices can suffer from corrupt databases. They share firmware, so unless there is a hardware specific fault problem, they should all have the same problems. And, I don't think the Aura H2O was any more prone to this issue than any of the other devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an original H2O and I've never had a problem with the database because I always properly eject from the computer. Calibre works very well with my H2O.
Advert
Old 08-23-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
Smannesman
Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Smannesman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Alright that's all good to hear.
So the H2O seems like a good, although somewhat expensive choice.
With a case/sleeve it'll probably run me about $230-240.
That is a lot of money to me, but you can't skimp on certain things.
Thanks for all the replies guys!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you order from Chapters, you can get the H2O cheaper due to the exchange rate even though you will pay shipping to the USA. It's what I did when I bought my H2O.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Smannesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you order from Chapters, you can get the H2O cheaper due to the exchange rate even though you will pay shipping to the USA. It's what I did when I bought my H2O.
Ah but I'm not in the US and my country is unfortunately not one to which they ship.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ah but I'm not in the US and my country is unfortunately not one to which they ship.
This is why it's important to have your location in your profile. A lot of answers to question are location specific for the answers.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
LOL! It's a lot of money to a LOT of people!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
Smannesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
LOL! It's a lot of money to a LOT of people!
Well I didn't want to assume
I was kind of hoping to spend about half of that, but I do want a good quality product that will last me several years.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Well I didn't want to assume
I was kind of hoping to spend about half of that, but I do want a good quality product that will last me several years.
In Europe, if you want to spend less than a Kobo H2O 2nd Edition will cost you, and get a sharp 300dpi screen, options seem to be:

1. Bookeen Muse HD (I have no experience of this reader). Online reviews I have found seem to be mixed.

2. Tolino Shine 2 HD. (I have experience of the Vision 3 HD and found it to be a very nice and reliable reader with an excellent screen and build, though with more simplistic reading software than the Kobo).

3. Generally, the PocketBook Touch HD can be obtained for less than the Kobo too. The latest firmware seems stable, though the actual reading app is more basic than the Kobo. (I also have this reader and, after adding the Coolreader for Pocketbook reading app, it has become my favourite ereader - I do like the presence of page turn buttons.)

Of course, all of these are only 6 inch readers whereas the H2O has a 6.8 inch screen. (I have the original H2O but found it too big and uncomfortable for extended reading, but many others love the extra area. The new H2O2 is lighter than the old H2O, though not significantly smaller.)
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
In Europe, if you want to spend less than a Kobo H2O 2nd Edition will cost you, and get a sharp 300dpi screen, options seem to be:

1. Bookeen Muse HD (I have no experience of this reader). Online reviews I have found seem to be mixed.

2. Tolino Shine 2 HD. (I have experience of the Vision 3 HD and found it to be a very nice and reliable reader with an excellent screen and build, though with more simplistic reading software than the Kobo).

3. Generally, the PocketBook Touch HD can be obtained for less than the Kobo too. The latest firmware seems stable, though the actual reading app is more basic than the Kobo. (I also have this reader and, after adding the Coolreader for Pocketbook reading app, it has become my favourite ereader - I do like the presence of page turn buttons.)
Or, of course, a Kindle Paperwhite.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or, of course, a Kindle Paperwhite.
Or if you don't need the light, the basic kindle.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Or if you don't need the light, the basic kindle.
The basic Kindle does not have a 300ppi screen.