Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #1126
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.59.1. It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #1127
FranceAir
FranceAir began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 2021 12.9inch, Kindle Oasis 2
can kfx output support comic tag?

i have some mobi comics,they can use fullscreen display and cover thumbnail image,but cant display cover thumbnail on lockscreen. Once I transform them into KFX,files are tagged as EBOK, can display cover thumbnail on lockscreen.But cant use comic features such as fullscreen display anymore.
maybe changing tag from EBOK to comic will help.Would you mind add an comic tag selection?
FranceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #1128
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceAir View Post
i have some mobi comics,they can use fullscreen display and cover thumbnail image,but cant display cover thumbnail on lockscreen. Once I transform them into KFX,files are tagged as EBOK, can display cover thumbnail on lockscreen.But cant use comic features such as fullscreen display anymore.
You can't just convert comics to KFX using calibre and have them work properly. The process is fairly complex. See the section "Converting Comics and Manga" in the first post of this thread for details.

Also note that the comic features of KFX format don't work on Kindle devices, only in the iOS and Android Kindle apps.

Quote:
maybe changing tag from EBOK to comic will help.Would you mind add an comic tag selection?
Comics on Kindle use a CDE type of EBOK. The differences between regular reflowable books and comics are more complicated than that.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #1129
FranceAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You can't just convert comics to KFX using calibre and have them work properly. The process is fairly complex. See the section "Converting Comics and Manga" in the first post of this thread for details.

Also note that the comic features of KFX format don't work on Kindle devices, only in the iOS and Android Kindle apps.

Comics on Kindle use a CDE type of EBOK. The differences between regular reflowable books and comics are more complicated than that.
Alright, i will back to use MOBI on Kindle.Thx for the answer
Old 11-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #1130
FranceAir

Smile

Quote:

Okay, I tried to follow the guide. first using Kindle Create to create a KPF file,then using Calibre-debug CLI convert KPF to KFX, last using calibre add the metadata and transfer files into kindle. Actually, book cover thumbnail and book cover on lockscreen, full screen display all function well on my KO2, thats all I want.
Anyway, thx for help
Advert
Old 11-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #1131
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Anyway, thx for help
I'm glad you were able to make it work to your satisfaction.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #1132
synecdoche
synecdoche began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am having a weird issue with some books I've converted to KFX. Not sure if it is this plugin or the source or not but thought I'd try here. Basically what happens is that I can put the KFX which I have converted in Calibre onto my Kindle Oasis just fine, but when I go to open the book for the first time it opens it at what seems to be the last page--it registers as being 100% complete. I'm unable to get to the start of the book unless I navigate to location 1.

Anybody else encountered this? Is there a fix, or something I am doing wrong?

My usual workflow is to add the book (usually epub) to my Calibre library and then convert to KFX in Calibre. I'll then upload to my Kindle.
synecdoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #1133
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synecdoche View Post
I am having a weird issue with some books I've converted to KFX. Not sure if it is this plugin or the source or not but thought I'd try here. Basically what happens is that I can put the KFX which I have converted in Calibre onto my Kindle Oasis just fine, but when I go to open the book for the first time it opens it at what seems to be the last page--it registers as being 100% complete. I'm unable to get to the start of the book unless I navigate to location 1.

Anybody else encountered this? Is there a fix, or something I am doing wrong?

My usual workflow is to add the book (usually epub) to my Calibre library and then convert to KFX in Calibre. I'll then upload to my Kindle.
That is not something I have encountered.

As a test I imported this edition of Frankenstein into calibre, converted it to KFX format, and sent it to my Kindle Oasis using "Send to device". After ejecting the Oasis I opened the book and it opened to the front cover, which is what I expected since no starting position is set in the book. I am attaching the same KFX file here in case you want to try it on your device. (You will need to unzip it before importing into calibre.)

You can also try converting the same original EPUB and see whether or not it works differently for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frankenstein - Mary W. Shelley.zip (316.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 11-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #1134
synecdoche
synecdoche began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You can also try converting the same original EPUB and see whether or not it works differently for you.
Thanks. I gave it a try and it worked fine, which makes me suspect it is something with the source files, not the KFX conversion.
synecdoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #1135
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synecdoche View Post
Thanks. I gave it a try and it worked fine, which makes me suspect it is something with the source files, not the KFX conversion.
If you want me to look into this further you can run a source file that exhibits this problem though the ScrambeEbook plugin to eliminate any copyrighted text and post it here for me to look at. Note any non-default conversion options that you use when converting.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #1136
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.57.0 - 08 Nov 2021

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.59.1. Version 3.59 and version 3.59.1 contain no significant changes to KFX conversion.

Add a fixup to force OPF ids to be unique to prevent various failures when converting books. The Kindle Previewer is improperly insensitive to case in OPF ids resulting in ids like "text" and "TEXT" being treated as identical.

Add fixup to remove an extra HTML file that is sometimes incorrectly left over when calibre replaces the cover of a book. This prevents the final page of the converted book from containing a missing image icon (camera with exclamation point).
Old 11-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #1137
rufusw
rufusw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen)
I'm having a slight problem with the KFX output plugin.

I am converting books with two authors and when I look at the book on my Kindle, I only see the second author.

If I send the same book as AZW3 I see both authors on the kindle.

So in the Calibre author field I have "Author 1 & Author 2"

Converted to KFX and sent to the Kindle I see "Author 2"

AZW3 sent to the Kindle I see "Author 1 and Author 2"

Has anyone else had this problem?
rufusw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #1138
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusw View Post
I am converting books with two authors and when I look at the book on my Kindle, I only see the second author.
There are two issues at play here.

The first is a bug that causes this plugin to not maintain the order of authors properly. I will fix that in the next release of the plugin.

The second is that Kindle firmware only reads the first author from books in KFX format. Even if multiple author names are present only the first name will be shown in the Kindle library. This is true even for books purchased from Amazon. There is nothing that I can do about that.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:06 PM   #1139
rufusw
rufusw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen)
Quote:
There are two issues at play here.

The first is a bug that causes this plugin to not maintain the order of authors properly. I will fix that in the next release of the plugin.

The second is that Kindle firmware only reads the first author from books in KFX format. Even if multiple author names are present only the first name will be shown in the Kindle library. This is true even for books purchased from Amazon. There is nothing that I can do about that.
Ah so the author order is a bug, I'm pleased to hear you can fix it. This was the thing that bothered me.

The second issue is odd, considering AZW3 shows both. I understand it is Amazon's problem and not your plugin.

Thanks
rufusw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #1140
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusw View Post
The second issue is odd, considering AZW3 shows both. I understand it is Amazon's problem and not your plugin.
Yes, a Kindle shows multiple authors if the book is AZW3 instead of KFX. It appears to be a KFX-related bug. Hopefully Amazon will fix it some day.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine