Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #76
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Ok. Then you are accurate since you do have exact word counts. I just thought it looked a little high. It would be so nice if Amazon gave a word count for a location.
Atlas Shrugged which is around 645,000 words is 27682 locations.
That comes out to 23.3 words per location. So your math was spot on and mine was a bit off.
Oh, hell, math my saggy old tuchus. I'm not that devoted! I literally just dug up client books, used Sigil's word count to get a count for the file, and then opened the mobi to the very last location in the book. I did 3 of them, and they all came out pretty much the same (I admit..I did some math there, comparing word counts), so...

At least we have a number to go with the errata-per calculation. I can't wait to see the result on THAT, in terms of writers complaining that they got shafted, because they only had X-1 errors per 10,000 words...snort.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #77
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, hell, math my saggy old tuchus. I'm not that devoted! I literally just dug up client books, used Sigil's word count to get a count for the file, and then opened the mobi to the very last location in the book. I did 3 of them, and they all came out pretty much the same (I admit..I did some math there, comparing word counts), so...

At least we have a number to go with the errata-per calculation. I can't wait to see the result on THAT, in terms of writers complaining that they got shafted, because they only had X-1 errors per 10,000 words...snort.

Hitch
"The warning killed my sales because I made one small mistake and never got the email to correct it" crying.
You will please share the funnier whines.

I am glad between the two of us, we have a figure to work with.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #78
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"The warning killed my sales because I made one small mistake and never got the email to correct it" crying.
You will please share the funnier whines.

I am glad between the two of us, we have a figure to work with.

Yeah (on the whines), but unlike the CFH (Clients from Hell) or the Slushpile Hell guy, I'm sorta on the hook, as I have no way to share stuff, really. I mean, firstly, I'm not anonymous, anywhere I go (except for my top-secret identify on StraightDopers forum...a girl's gotta have SOMEPLACE where she can debate topics and blow off steam without being on the hook for it), and obviously, it would be easy-peasy for one of them to recognize themselves. So...I'm sorta shot in the bum about that. Wish I could.

Although, as snarky as I can be sometimes, I'm not really a mean-spirited person, y'know? I mean, as crazed as they make me some days (okay...a lotta days), I don't want to get a laugh at their expense. I'm perfectly content to make fun of myself...but even if I could post something, say, on CFH, a part of me would feel that I'd been a small person, for ridiculing them--even anonymously (both mine and the client's).

I know, I know...it's sorta old-fashioned, but...I can't shake it.

You make an excellent point, however--and I hadn't thought of it before you posted. I'm now a bit frazzled, thinking of how this might boomerang on me (my company)...bejaysus, I hope I don't get emails like that, blaming US for typos and stuff! Holy &^%$#@, Batman... Can you imagine? "I lost $XX dollars, because they put that banner up, and it's all your fault?!" Ye gods...

Hitch
Old 02-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #79
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Save the original, and show them that the errors were ALREADY THERE, and you weren't hired as an editor?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #80
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know what you mean by on the hook.
Hey question, do you publish the books or do you just do the hard work and your clients do the upload to Amazon?
I was wondering if you or your clients would get the email.
Ok so I hope neither would get that email.
I may pay a visit to another place around the 16th. Just to read not to post.
It will either be silly or depressing.
Advert
Old 02-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #81
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
So, if anybody wants to see the warning 'live', there's one on the Goode-reader's book:

http://www.amazon.com/Goodereader-e-.../dp/B005MWT7L4

If you squint, it's the little yellow triangle below and to the right of the author's name.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #82
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
So, if anybody wants to see the warning 'live', there's one on the Goode-reader's book:

If you squint, it's the little yellow triangle below and to the right of the author's name.
Hoooooooooooo, boy. Man, there's some nasty in there. I mean, a lot of people don't like Mike Kozlowski--it looks like they couldn't WAIT to gang up on him. Lord, I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Hitch
Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #83
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hitch -- maybe there *are* typos in there... and he's more popular than we ever thought.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #84
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
I wondered if he was maybe using his own book as a guinea pig ($2.5M+ sales ranking on a book assessing 2011 e-book readers, pretty much dead in the water), to have another 'first' to report (blogged on 5 Feb.)
Just speculation...
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #85
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Completely un-Tweedle-related: Would anybody buy an e-reader buying guide from 2011??
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #86
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post

Doesn't carry over to the UK store

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodereader-...dp/B005MWT7L4/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #87
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Hitch -- maybe there *are* typos in there... and he's more popular than we ever thought.
There are definitely typos...I found a few just in the "Look Inside".

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #88
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
So they're still allowing a lot of 'defects' Good thing I'm not in charge, I wouldn't let more than 3 in any book regardless of length...

So who would catch all this? I would be willing to bet money there isn't a "perfect" book out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I think 3 errors in 12 pages is too many. At that rate there may be 80 errors in the entire book.
OMG The world is coming to an end..... On second thought, that's what actually happened so maybe it doesn't count.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #89
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Save the original, and show them that the errors were ALREADY THERE, and you weren't hired as an editor?
We absolutely do that, up to a point. But I literally can't keep all the source materials forever. I used to--but a few terabyte SSD's into this, I can't any longer. PLUS, remember, I pay for storage and production server space, on several fronts, not even including my back-up space. So, since...about 12 months ago? When I archive the projects--which I do AFTER two warnings/alerts to the client that I'm going to do this--I nuke all the materials, except for the final files (ePUB, MOBI, and MOBI source file, whether slightly-altered ePUB or zipped folder). So...could be dicey. Hope not.

Quote:
I know what you mean by on the hook.
Hey question, do you publish the books or do you just do the hard work and your clients do the upload to Amazon?
Oh, HELLS no. No way. I have never met any client that was tradepubbed that wasn't convinced that their publisher had "done them wrong" in the finances department. So...nah. I'm never going down that path.

Quote:
I was wondering if you or your clients would get the email.
Ok so I hope neither would get that email.
No, they'll get it, but trust me, I see it instantly. ;-) INSTANTLY, I assure you. It's like being in Star Trek. Scotty beams the notices from them to me, faster than you can say, "Kindle Quality Notice." :-)

Quote:
I may pay a visit to another place around the 16th. Just to read not to post.
It will either be silly or depressing.
Sorry, Cins, I genuinely don't know to what you are referring?

Hitch
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #90
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
We absolutely do that, up to a point. But I literally can't keep all the source materials forever. I used to--but a few terabyte SSD's into this, I can't any longer. PLUS, remember, I pay for storage and production server space, on several fronts, not even including my back-up space. So, since...about 12 months ago? When I archive the projects--which I do AFTER two warnings/alerts to the client that I'm going to do this--I nuke all the materials, except for the final files (ePUB, MOBI, and MOBI source file, whether slightly-altered ePUB or zipped folder). So...could be dicey. Hope not.

Oh, HELLS no. No way. I have never met any client that was tradepubbed that wasn't convinced that their publisher had "done them wrong" in the finances department. So...nah. I'm never going down that path.

No, they'll get it, but trust me, I see it instantly. ;-) INSTANTLY, I assure you. It's like being in Star Trek. Scotty beams the notices from them to me, faster than you can say, "Kindle Quality Notice." :-)

Sorry, Cins, I genuinely don't know to what you are referring?

Hitch
There is another forum that I refuse to link too that has a writer's area. I am sure most of the posters there will be whining about that warning.
It used to be fabulous there until the newbies started telling the successfuls that the successfuls knew nothing about book publishing.
I may wander over there since when I left there, the "authors" were literally posting that errors don't matter if the story is good.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 02-07-2016 at 09:50 PM.