Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
How to create a recipe that includes visitors' comments?

In blogs such as teleread and slashdot where visitors are invited to comment on the topics, at times the comments are more interesting than the original articles.

I wonder if it was possible to customise recipes in such a way that the visitors' comments are also saved for offline reading on ebook readers.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
In blogs such as teleread and slashdot where visitors are invited to comment on the topics, at times the comments are more interesting than the original articles.

I wonder if it was possible to customise recipes in such a way that the visitors' comments are also saved for offline reading on ebook readers.
The Calibre Recipe sub-forum is here.

Update: The thread has been moved to the Calibre Recipes forum.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-29-2010 at 03:07 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Yes, but most recipes intentionally remove the comments. You'll have to modify the recipe to remove the part the removes the comments.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Yes, but most recipes intentionally remove the comments. You'll have to modify the recipe to remove the part the removes the comments.
You can take a look at The Old new thing recipe which includes comments.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
You can take a look at The Old new thing recipe which includes comments.
Yes. Some leave them, some remove them. It's up to the author, which is preferred. If he has a specific recipe that is removing them, he can mention that and someone will help.
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

I've saved The Old New Thing feed and have taken a look at it with my Kindle. It does include visitors' comments and it's perfect.

But when I took a look at the recipe, it used the link,
Code:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/rss.aspx
which is just for the main posts.

The site has another feed for comments
Code:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/rsscomments.aspx
But I don't see the latter link being included in the recipe.

I don't understand it.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I've saved The Old New Thing feed and have taken a look at it with my Kindle. It does include visitors' comments and it's perfect.

But when I took a look at the recipe, it used the link,
Code:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/rss.aspx
which is just for the main posts.

The site has another feed for comments
Code:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/rsscomments.aspx
But I don't see the latter link being included in the recipe.

I don't understand it.
You haven't looked closely enough at the articles in the feed in the recipe. Some have comments, some don't. The articles that have comments show comments in the recipe. Those without, don't. See:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/.../10110077.aspx
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
greenapple
Evangelist

May I clarify my understanding, whether comments are included with the articles would depend on how the rss is configured by the blog itself?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
No. It depends how the blog itself is configured. The recipe takes the content of the blog post page. If that page has comments included they will be part of the e-book.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist

Got it. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
The recipe takes the content of the blog post page. If that page has comments included they will be part of the e-book.
It's probably a bit more accurate to say that if the page has comments included they will be part of the e-book if the recipe author wants to leave them in. Some intentionally remove them.