Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Karl Myer
Karl Myer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
DX or Voyage?

Last November I bought a Kindle DX, my first ereader. I like the large screen for its less-frequent page turns and that it will render a pdf in a usable (though not perfect) way. I now want to get a Kindle Voyage but in browsing at Amazon I happened to notice the DX is again up for sale at a reasonable price. I like my DX so much that I'm considering purchasing another while they last.

The Voyage I would get is the 3G with special offers, $269. The DX is the same price as a year ago, $199, as is the excellent Amazon cover for it, $9.99, both with free shipping.

I'm leaning toward the Voyage because of its features but my decision will probably hinge on the nature of the Voyage's 3G. Can anyone tell me exactly what the Voyage's browser will do? Will it freely roam the web like the DX, or is it restricted to Wikipedia and social network sites?
Karl Myer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Myer View Post
The DX is the same price as a year ago, $199 ...
Link please? I can't seem to find it.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
jj2me...DX is just a bigger K3

OP you will lose the bigger screen... not sure about the rest.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
jj2me...DX is just a bigger K3 .
I know what it is. I should have also quoted where he said "the DX is again up for sale," as I can't find it for sale except for used ones starting at $270.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Karl Myer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...adlindsdigi-20

Hope this is it. Didn't test it.
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
jj2me
Guru

Thanks Karl. That link says the DX is "Temporarily out of stock," which is probably why my simple search of "kindle dx" didn't show it.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Compare the K3 to Voyager... IF they do the same then decised which you want but IF on does better thaan the other ...you should have your answer. ALL I was trying to say ..duh
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I guess it depends if you have a tablet or laptop that you are willing to use for pdfs. If so, I would read the pdfs on one of those and get the Voyage for regular books. I read pdfs on my laptop, but they are work-related and have color. I don't download pdf books for pleasure. The convenience of the recent kindle readers are the quality of the screen and the software. I have just upgraded from a Kindle Keyboard and it will take some time to get used to the touch screen. I know I will miss the physical keyboard and buttons but they are long gone. Such is progress...

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by krazy4katz; 11-01-2014 at 05:48 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Karl Myer

Thanks for the suggestion, K4K. I do realize with a Voyage I'd be sacrificing ease of viewing pdf's but that is not really a concern. After all, I would still have my original DX for pdf's and, like you, I'm not a big user of them.

jj2me, I'm surprised to see the website says temporarily out of stock. Up until now it was saying something like there would be a weeks- or months-long wait for delivery (I don't remember exactly what it said but that was the gist).

Katie, you say "compare the Kindle 3 to Voyager." That is what I have been trying to do but have not been able. I searched reviews looking for an answer or at least a clue. They all just skim the surface. Few reviews mention in any helpful way the web browser and if they do it's usually dismissive of the Voyager browser such as this from Brian Barrett's 10/20/14 Gizmodo review: "I also think it's time to put the experimental web browser out of its misery, not that you'll be tempted to use it in the first place." That's literally all he says. Why not mention why it might be time to put it out of its misery? I do use the DX's. It's clunky and slow. So what? It's a true luxury to have a real web browser on a Kindle that works anywhere.

Which is why I don't mind paying the price of a Voyage if someone could describe from experience its browser's behavior. If it doesn't browse the web freely I might just order another DX, but I would like to make the jump to the newer technology. Voyage would be a nice addition to the DX for times I'd like to have more than one book open simultaneously or for traveling and of course for the frontlight.

Last edited by Karl Myer; 11-01-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
JimmyH
Enthusiast
JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O, Droid RazrMaxxHD
I did not get the 3G option on my new Voyage because amazon no longer allows that feature to include web surfing. The wiki and the kindle store are all you can use it for, if I understood what I read on it correctly. Older 3G kindle devices may be 'grandfathered in', but not any new 3G ereader from amazon. For web surfing wth no restrictions you have to go Kindle Fire if I'm not badly mistaken.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
I did not get the 3G option on my new Voyage because amazon no longer allows that feature to include web surfing. The wiki and the kindle store are all you can use it for, if I understood what I read on it correctly. Older 3G kindle devices may be 'grandfathered in', but not any new 3G ereader from amazon. For web surfing wth no restrictions you have to go Kindle Fire if I'm not badly mistaken.
For web surfing with no restrictions, the K3(Kindle Keyboard) is the most recent iteration with that freedom. If you want that on a KF, you have to pay for it.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #12
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
For web surfing with no restrictions, the K3(Kindle Keyboard) is the most recent iteration with that freedom. If you want that on a KF, you have to pay for it.
I think that is true on 3G, but on wifi it is still free. On the KV I went to the MobileRead site to try and download the Mobi document of ebooks. I wasn't successful, but I was able to go there. Same think with my KK.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I recently downloaded the Mobi doc of books on my KK, with no problems. Try it again.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
Karl Myer

Tonight the DX page doesn't say temporarily out of stock but says ships in 2 to 4 months and gives me an expected delivery of Jan 15 to Feb 13.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:54 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
jj2me...DX is just a bigger K3
No, it's a bigger Kindle 2. It runs the K2 firmware, not the K3 firmware which is why, for example, unlike the K3, it doesn't support the KF8 file format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote