Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
white-k
white-k began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Good ereaders for making loads highlights within text?

The only ereader I've tried is the Sony PRS T2, and what made me want one was the stylus included which has a relatively thin tip which made it fairly easy to make highlights withn text.
I was about to buy the PRS T3 and then I saw that it doesn't come with a stylus! And it feels silly to buy the older version just to get the stylus.

So which are some good ereaders for making highlights within a text using a stylus?

Here are my wishes for my first ereader:

- Good for swiftly making loads of highlights within a text
- E-ink
- Should be able to read epub

Things that would be nice but are not musts;
- Can use a thin tip stylus*
(if a stylus with narrow point can be bought separately, that is also ok)
- Preferably with light*
- Resolution above 800x600

On second thought I think a stylus may not be a must, as long as the device is fairly responsive.
I'm basically looking for the one easiest to use for swiftly making highlights. :-)
Any suggestions fellows?

Last edited by white-k; 02-25-2014 at 03:12 AM.
white-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-k View Post
- Preferably backlit
- E-ink
Those are mutually incompatible features.

If you really mean backlit, which can't be e-ink, consider the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It has a great stylus and digitizer.

If you really mean frontlit E-ink, others will have to chime it.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 AM   #3
white-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Those are mutually incompatible features.

If you really mean backlit, which can't be e-ink, consider the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It has a great stylus and digitizer.

If you really mean frontlit E-ink, others will have to chime it.

ApK
Ah yes, I guess I mean frontlit. Thanks for the correction
Old 02-26-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
white-k

No advice on this?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle Paperwhite is very good for making highlights. And it doesn't restrict the length of the highlights like the Sony devices certainly used to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
white-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle Paperwhite is very good for making highlights. And it doesn't restrict the length of the highlights like the Sony devices certainly used to do.
Thanks. Can the paperwhite be hacked so that it will read Epub without converting the files?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've no idea. I have no desire to read ePubs, I'm afraid. It's trivial to convert ePub to Amazon's format using Calibre.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
white-k

By looking through some videos it appears that the process for making highlights on the kindle paperwhite 2 is as follows:

- Long-press on text
- Choose 'More'
- Choose highlihgt

While on the the Sony T2 it is:

- Long-press on text
- Choose highlight

...actually making it one less step on the Sony than on the Papwerwhite 2!

Edit: The above seems to be different between 'Paperwhite 1' and 'Paperwhite 2'. As can be seen if you pause the below video at 8.32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFoUPtSAors

This is getting frustrating. I don't feel like buying the older device.

Any ideas?

Last edited by white-k; 02-26-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It's not like touching an extra line is a lot of work. Also, keep in mind that the total amount of highlighting is controlled by the publisher. It's usually something like 10%, or even less.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
white-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It's not like touching an extra line is a lot of work. Also, keep in mind that the total amount of highlighting is controlled by the publisher. It's usually something like 10%, or even less.
It's about 33% more work with three actions instead of two. And when you do a LOT of highlights it matters.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have to click those for each highlight, or once you do it, does it stay in 'highlight mode' or something? Highlighting is not a feature I've ever used.

Just out of curiosity, is it critical that these be highlights, or might one of these readers have a bookmarking or note feature that might serve your needs more efficiently?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It's about 33% more work with three actions instead of two. And when you do a LOT of highlights it matters.
No, it isn't. The "work" is selecting the text. Tapping a couple of buttons takes a negligible amount of time.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
white-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it isn't. The "work" is selecting the text. Tapping a couple of buttons takes a negligible amount of time.
Well, just because there is another part of the hihglihgting-process taking longer (the text-selection) doesn't justify neglecting a 33% increase of effort in another part of the process. At least that's how I feel.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
ApK

Quote:
Well, just because there is another part of the hihglihgting-process taking longer (the text-selection) doesn't justify neglecting a 33% increase of effort in another part of the process. At least that's how I feel.
I agree with you that it's a 33% increase in the number of actions to do that part of the task, however not all actions require the same amount of effort (that's why Microsoft progress bars sit at 99% for 80% of the time....)

The point is, the extra click may amount to no more than a quick double-tap that will soon become automatic. That's different than if the extra click required moving the stylus a long way, or reading the menu each time, or taking your attention away.

So it might be worth trying it if you can get your hands one one, for several dozen highlights, to really get a sense of if the extra action is really extra effort.

Last edited by ApK; 02-26-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #15
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
The Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 does all that you want but has no stylus. Why do you need a stylus? It's just another bit of clutter that you can lose! You can read in any format on the PB.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote