Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You should invest in a thesaurus for your Kindle. You've "cast aspersions" three times already.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #47
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K2, K3-3G/WIFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You should invest in a thesaurus for your Kindle. You've "cast aspersions" three times already.

Well, excuse me.

Truth is I use my Kindle to read books and I don't spend all my life posting on discussion forums so perhaps I am not as proficient as you folks who are so busy looking down your noses at folks you consider in the "cheap seats".
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please give it a rest, Don. It is our official site policy to discourage people from illicitly removing ads, and that has absolutely nothing to do with "looking down" on those with KSO's. Heck - I have a Kindle Touch with Special Offers myself. We discourage the practice for the simple reason that we believe it to be unethical.

You're welcome to disagree, but that policy isn't going to change.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #49
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please give it a rest, Don. It is our official site policy to discourage people from illicitly removing ads, and that has absolutely nothing to do with "looking down" on those with KSO's. Heck - I have a Kindle Touch with Special Offers myself. We discourage the practice for the simple reason that we believe it to be unethical.

You're welcome to disagree, but that policy isn't going to change.
It is not the policy I disagree with, it is the continued name calling.

It is the policy of this site to not discuss DRM removal methods as well but those who ask about it are directed to do a Google search. They are not immediately called criminals for asking about it.

don
Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Look at it this way, Don:

Amazon give you the free choice of buying a K4 with ads for $79, or the same model without the ads for $109. It's your choice which you buy. Perhaps you didn't know this when you bought it, or perhaps you buy the $79 model and then decide that you really don't like the ads after all. "No problem," says Amazon; "just pay us back the $30 we gave you to accept the ads and we'll take them away."

That's the deal. Amazon pay you $30 (or $40, or $50, depending what model Kindle you have) and in return for that $30, you agree to take the ads.

Now along comes some guy and says, "Hey man, screw you; I'm gonna take your $30, but I'm not gonna take your ads."

Is it really surprising that some people might think that this person is being dishonest? It doesn't surprise me at all that some might think so, and might even go so far as to say so.

It's not a case of looking down on those who choose to buy the Kindle with ads (as I said, I have one myself); it's rather a case of expressing annoyance at those who give the impression that they're trying to cheat the system.
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
folks who are so busy looking down your noses at folks you consider in the "cheap seats".
I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. My next Kindle will almost certainly be the cheapest one I can buy at $79. And I'll probably completely ignore the screensavers just as I do now.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #52
dmcounts
Enthusiast

This site has been a marvelous resource for me for years and I still find new things my kindles are capable of.

Let's stop being so judgmental and quick to condemn the new poster who has recently received his first kindle and found this site who asks questions about what and how to do things.

When those questions are against forum policy to answer we could simply say as much without questioning his character and driving him away.

Let's try to be a bit more friendly.

don
Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #53
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
I wasn't calling you a name. I was stating that someone who takes the discount and then doesn't uphold the end of their bargain is a criminal and a thief. Fraud and theft are crimes.

Those are facts, not opinion. I apologize if you took it personally.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #54
dmcounts
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
I wasn't calling you a name. I was stating that someone who takes the discount and then doesn't uphold the end of their bargain is a criminal and a thief. Fraud and theft are crimes.

Those are facts, not opinion. I apologize if you took it personally.

Why would I take it personally?

I do not own a KSO and don't have any intention of doing so.

Watching the attacks on new kindle owners who only need information is what I am unhappy about.

You guys see no problem with using your kindles to read products from Amazon's competitors because Amazon has not yet put a stop to the practice even though doing so is outside the Terms of Service you agreed to.

Every ebook purchased from other than the Kindle Store represents revenue lost to Amazon. At anywhere from $1.00 to $9.99 for each act (using the cheapest examples) you folks are stealing millions from Amazon and yet you get all incensed when a newby asks if he can remove the ads, in effect only taking the potential of making a sale from that ad from Amazon.

If it is a forum rule to not assist someone in removing the ads simply say that without the character attacks that have become so common when this particular subject is brought up.

Treat others as you would want to be treated when you are simply wanting to explore the great new gift you received for Christmas.

don

Last edited by dmcounts; 12-31-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:44 PM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Treat others as you would want to be treated when you are simply wanting to explore the great new gift you received for Christmas.
I most definitely want to be told when I'm f-king up. That's why I don't hesitate to tell others the same.

And your "content purchased anywhere other than Amazon" mantra still doesn't make any more sense than the first time you mentioned it. Just sayin'.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #56
dmcounts
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I most definitely want to be told when I'm f-king up. That's why I don't hesitate to tell others the same.

And your "content purchased anywhere other than Amazon" mantra still doesn't make any more sense than the first time you mentioned it. Just sayin'.

You are definitely "f-king up" every time you attack another's character over something like this.

I am sure the Terms of Service doesn't make any sense to you because you have decided it is OK to go outside it for your purposes.

I don't care what you put on your Kindle or how you choose to modify it. That is between you and Amazon and simply none of my business.

Minding one's own business is a virtue that is so often overlooked by busybodies online.

don
Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Minding one's own business is a virtue that is so often overlooked by busybodies online.
You honestly can't see the irony here can you?

You don't get to bring "your business" online and then complain when someone takes an interest in "your business." The easiest way to keep someone out of your business is to keep your business to yourself... otherwise, your business is fair game.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #58
Denbo
Denbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcounts View Post
I wasn't referring to personal documents but to the ebooks you have purchased elsewhere and sideloaded to your Kindle.

But it is OK, whatever lets you sleep at night knowing you are stealing and violating the spirit and indeed the letter of the ToS.
Actually he should sleep quite well because legally speaking he is not stealing. Installing ebooks from elsewhere is similar to jailbreaking your iPhone and installing apps from other app markets like Cydia.

The Copyright Office has already ruled on that decision. They stated quite clearly that jailbreaking doesn't violate the DCMA.

Amazon, like Apple, can void your warranty but they can't legally stop you from jailbreaking your device and installing whatever you want on it.

Here is a blurb from CNet:

Quote:
What does the Copyright Office's ruling mean?
The short answer is that jailbreaking your iPhone or other mobile device will no longer violate a controversial federal copyright law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA. Bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" is now permitted.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20011702-260.html
Old 01-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #59
dmcounts
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denbo View Post
Actually he should sleep quite well because legally speaking he is not stealing. Installing ebooks from elsewhere is similar to jailbreaking your iPhone and installing apps from other app markets like Cydia.

The Copyright Office has already ruled on that decision. They stated quite clearly that jailbreaking doesn't violate the DCMA.

Amazon, like Apple, can void your warranty but they can't legally stop you from jailbreaking your device and installing whatever you want on it.
Amazon can indeed legally stop a user from jailbreaking their Kindle. The federal government will not get involved but under the ToS it specifically states:
Quote:
This is an agreement between you and Amazon Digital Services, Inc. (with its affiliates, "Amazon" or "we"). Please read this Amazon.com Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use, the Amazon.com privacy notice located at www.amazon.com/privacy and the other applicable rules, policies, and terms posted on the Amazon.com website or the Kindle Store (collectively, this "Agreement") before using the Kindle or any Reading Application or Digital Content. By using the Kindle, any Reading Application, or any Digital Content, you agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. If you do not accept the terms of this Agreement, then you may not use the Kindle, any Reading Application, any Digital Content, or the Service; and you may return the Kindle for a refund in accordance with the applicable return policy.
If you do not agree to abide with the ToS "you may not use the Kindle".

The same portion of the ToS that governs the removal of the ads also covers the issue of jailbreaking:
Quote:
No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly, or Circumvention. You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Kindle or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, for example, by augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Kindle or Software.
What are the implications of all this:

Quote:
Termination. Your rights under this Agreement will automatically terminate if you fail to comply with any term of this Agreement. In case of such termination, you must cease all use of the Software, and Amazon may immediately revoke your access to the Service or to Digital Content without refund of any fees. Amazon's failure to insist upon or enforce your strict compliance with this Agreement will not constitute a waiver of any of its rights.
My contention is anyone who does any mods or loads any content they have not purchased through Amazon's Kindle Store or received from Amazon through their personal documents program is in violation of the ToS the same as one who removes the ads from a KSO device. Removal of the special offers is not any different than any of the other mods we make on "our" Kindles and those who do so should not be held up for any more contempt than the others.

The decision to violate the ToS agreement with Amazon is an issue between the individual and Amazon.

I am pretty sure there are a few here who have not violated the ToS in any way but most of us have.

Amazon can at their discretion brick any of their "mobile reading devices" if they decide to demand strict compliance with their ToS.

Let's let Amazon decide to enforce their agreement as they wish and stop attacking our friends online because we think they have broken the contract more than we have.

Last edited by dmcounts; 01-01-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcounts View Post
My contention is anyone who does any mods or loads any content they have not purchased through Amazon's Kindle Store or received from Amazon through their personal documents program is in violation of the ToS the same as one who removes the ads from a KSO device. Removal of the special offers is not any different than any of the other mods we make on "our" Kindles and those who do so should not be held up for any more contempt than the others.
This is complete nonsense. There is nothing in the ToS which prohibits the loading of content purchased elsewhere. It is entirely permissible. Ask Amazon if you don't believe me.
Closed Thread

Tags
screensaver, special offers, touch