Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #8116
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Edit 2:
Stupid Amazon puts a ":" in the download filename, which breaks backups! Does Windows even allow such file names? I'm running Linux, which does.
Nope
Code:
<>:"/\|?*
are prohibited. Also broken is ending a file name with space or a period.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #8117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Short answer: A game and a book are far more different than movie/TV and a book. I thought the book was far better.

Longer answer
We have both. My daughter got further in the game which is a mismatched mix of adventure and combat. I found it unplayable.

I think the book was OK, but ages since I've read it. I've two versions of Magician on paper (allegedly publisher cut and writer's edit) and one that was on offer on ebook (the writer's edit version), that mysteriously was updated 3 times on Amazon.

Feist seems to find his own voice and more original story about halfway through Magician, so worth sticking at it even if you find the first 3rd a bit too stereotypical.

I've not all the Riftwar (or associated Janny Wurts titles), but plenty.

Edit:

It's on UK/Ireland Amazon for 99p, but not by edit link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041RRCSG/
So I got it in case I want to re-read it. Easier on the Kobo Sage than on paper. I think the game title is Betrayal at Krondor.

Edit 2:
Stupid Amazon puts a ":" in the download filename, which breaks backups! Does Windows even allow such file names? I'm running Linux, which does.
Windows does not allow a : in the filename.

As for Magician by Feist, if you want the single volume edition, go to Kobo or eBooks.com and travel to the UK and get the single edition version. It's £2.99 at Kobo and eBooks.com. Still cheaper then buying in the US. At Kobo it's $8.99 for each of the two parts.

https://www.ebooks.com/en-gb/book/12...aymond-e-feist
https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/mag...ar-saga-book-1
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #8118
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Nope
Code:
<>:"/\|?*
are prohibited. Also broken is ending a file name with space or a period.
I thought so. I can't bothered to load a Windows VM to see does Amazon still do the same stupid file name.

First encountered this recently, but the fashion started to stupidly add part of blurb to title and I don't know how long Amazon has been simply using web page title as fiiename. Path length when including parent directories can also be exceeded. I added this to Rant thread a while ago.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #8119
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
get the single edition version.
The multi-part version seems to be a graphic novel, or is there some other multi-volume issue?
I paid 99p for Magician ebook ages ago.
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #8120
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
The multi-part version seems to be a graphic novel, or is there some other multi-volume issue?
I paid 99p for Magician ebook ages ago.
In the US the first book is split into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #8121
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
In the US the first book is split into Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.
OK, I think Magician: Apprentice (Graphic novel) might be 17 parts.

I know it's a bit fat, but only having the first half and reading it first you might never read more , which is sad.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #8122
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
If you missed these the last time they were free/on sale, the first two books are now free in the US and UK.

Cross-post to the Children/YA thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4416381

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Cross post to the Children/YA thread for the first three books in Chris Behrsin's Dragoncat series free (the first one)/on sale (the next two). I'm not above reading a YA from time to time, and I read the first one a while back when it was free, and I'd call it the equivalent of a "cozy mystery" - kind of cotton candy, but quick and fun. And it has a few moments that make you think. All three are also KU if you have that.

Link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4285477
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #8123
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Edit 2:
Windows doesn't allow the regular colon character, but you can use the small colon character (﹕) in file names if you really want a colon in there. (I believe it originates from Japanese, which is why it has the built in spaces around it.) I seriously doubt that's what Amazon is using and Windows will refuse to let you save the file with a regular colon in it.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM   #8124
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
Windows doesn't allow the regular colon character, but you can use the small colon character (﹕) in file names if you really want a colon in there. (I believe it originates from Japanese, which is why it has the built in spaces around it.) I seriously doubt that's what Amazon is using and Windows will refuse to let you save the file with a regular colon in it.
Amazon uses the regular colon but calibre will remove it from files in it's library. For the most part, I tend to either remove the bit after the : if I find it useless or move it to the subtitle field.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:10 AM   #8125
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
That's because Windows uses a colon to define a drive letter such as C:
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:48 AM   #8126
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

No, Amazon is using a real colon. I either replace it with _ or delete it and rest of filename.

Another one today. They can be saved with a colon, but then backup fails. Stupid Amazon.
Old Today, 05:49 AM   #8127
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's because Windows uses a colon to define a drive letter such as C:
Um, and devices too. It originated with CP/M.
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #8128
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Um, and devices too. It originated with CP/M.
OS/8 and RT-11 from DEC predate CP/M. I don't know whether they got the concept to use a colon to end device names from something even earlier.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote