Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
htmldoc settings

Here are some initial htmldoc settings that I find give reasonable results for PDF files on the Sony:

--fontsize 18
--left 2mm --right 2mm --top 2mm --bottom 2mm
--gray
--size 6.5x8in

If others improve on them please post here!
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've settled on these settings for now. I find the Helvetica font more readable than Ariel or Times, which look a bit washed out.

--textfont Helvetica
--fontsize 18
--left 1mm --right 1mm --top 1mm --bottom 1mm
--gray
--size 6.5x8in
--header ...
--footer ...
--textcolor black
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Are these settings used to alter the format of pdf files to fit the reader?

If so, how/where are the settings applied to a pdf file?
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Are these settings used to alter the format of pdf files to fit the reader?

If so, how/where are the settings applied to a pdf file?
No, these were used to convert HTML documents into PDFs. I'm mostly interested in technical stuff that I get online, not fiction, which I haven't had time for since becoming a parent and working at Microsoft for the past five years (I did have a life once, and maybe one day I will again).

Anyway, the key thing I believe is the use of Helvetica fonts. I don't know the correct typographic terms but you want to avoid fonts that have any form of decorative noise, like horizontal parts at the top or bottom of lower-case Ls, for example. Also fonts that have different thicknesses depending on the slope of lines. Instead you want simple fonts with uniform thickness. That way the effect is very black and readable, vs gray.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
... the key thing I believe is the use of Helvetica fonts. I don't know the correct typographic terms but you want to avoid fonts that have any form of decorative noise, like horizontal parts at the top or bottom of lower-case Ls, for example. Also fonts that have different thicknesses depending on the slope of lines. Instead you want simple fonts with uniform thickness. That way the effect is very black and readable, vs gray.
Geekraver,

Am I correct in concluding that Helvetica fonts are commercial only; you have to buy them? If so, would you (or someone) be willing to post an image of a book/document on the Reader with this font? I'd love to see how effective it is before I considering buying the font.

I found a font that About.com says is similar to Helvetica bold. Not sure if that makes it too thick, however. It's called Coolvetica, and can be found here:
http://desktoppub.about.com/library/...coolvetica.htm

TIA

Last edited by ojleblanc; 10-06-2006 at 09:54 AM.
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojleblanc
Geekraver,

Am I correct in concluding that Helvetica fonts are commercial only; you have to buy them? If so, would you (or someone) be willing to post an image of a book/document on the Reader with this font? I'd love to see how effective it is before I considering buying the font.

I found a font that About.com says is similar to Helvetica bold. Not sure if that makes it too thick, however. It's called Coolvetica, and can be found here:
http://desktoppub.about.com/library/...coolvetica.htm

TIA
I'm just using the Helvetica setting in HTMLDoc; presumably Helvetica is built in to the PDF viewer, so if you're using PDFs I don't understand why you would need to buy the font.

Anyway, I'll try post a pic soon.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I am having a terrible time making an html readable on the Sony reader. I tried a) using PDF Creator on my Adobe Acrobat 7.0. I modified the settings, etc., but the font is not very dark and it's not a serif font like I would like.

I then copied the file to RTF and change the font to Georgia with 12 pt and that doesn't look very good either.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
geekraver
Addict

Here's a sample of one of my htmldoc formatted books. Sorry for the photo quality; the LCD on my camera is busted which makes taking photos a challenge as I never know what the settings are. But as you can see its very readable; any blur is the fault of the camera and me, not the reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1739  
Old 10-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Thanks, geekraver. This is very nice, indeed. I created a version of Wuthering Heights using BookDesigner with Verdana font size 18. It is quite readable, too, but I want to try the Helvetica font. I'll post a pic of my efforts later this evening.
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
I've just compiled HTMLDOC under Windows/Cygwin, which was as simple as it gets. Going to try and generate some docs tonight.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
I then copied the file to RTF and change the font to Georgia with 12 pt and that doesn't look very good either.
I'm finding that I need a minimum 16pt font (I use arial) for an RTF to be comforatbly readable.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #12
Slava
Addict

Here is an example of what you can do with cygwin, wget and hmtldoc

Steps 1 & 2 are only for Windows users

1. Get Cygwin
2. Select and install GCC and WGET options
3. Download htmldoc sources
4. If you plan to convert Russian html pages, you will need to download additional fonts.
5. Compile and install htmldoc

You will have to experiment with different pages and parameters. HTMLDOC seems to be quite picky about html, but it gives you some nice options.

Lets take Outbrash

Download the html first
Code:
wget -O outbrash.html http://www.outblush.com/women/home/
Now convert it to PDF
Code:
$ htmldoc --webpage  --gray --fontsize 14 --textfont helvetica --header . --footer . --left 2mm --right 2mm --top 5mm --bottom 5mm --size 5.24x6.69in -f outbrash.pdf outbrash.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outbrash2reader.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	1763   Click image for larger version

Name:	outbrashONreader.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1764  

Last edited by Slava; 10-07-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

Why are you using a page size much bigger than the reader.Isn`t it optimal to aim for exactly the size of the screen?
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
Slava
Addict

Chris,

I took page size from Sony Reader manual. So far it works pretty good for all my conversions.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
Chris,

I took page size from Sony Reader manual. So far it works pretty good for all my conversions.
hmm.. in the pictures the actual size seems to be ~122x90mm. Might be worth trying for comparison.

I wish Sony would give out this sort of information. This and the directory structure problem shows that they don`t really care about third party non DRM content
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote