Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Secure Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader

I have downloaded Sony reader 3.1 software & have joined Fictionwise to purchase books.

Now some of the books I want to purchase and download use the 2 readers above. Will the Sony software automatically convert either of these formats of these books when I transfer them to my library or do I need to download Secure Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader first?
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I have downloaded Sony reader 3.1 software & have joined Fictionwise to purchase books.

Now some of the books I want to purchase and download use the 2 readers above. Will the Sony software automatically convert either of these formats of these books when I transfer them to my library or do I need to download Secure Mobipocket/Microsoft Reader first?
The sony software will not convert nor will it read either of these formats. Calibre will convert them but only if they do not have DRM.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. And if I want to read them on my PC, I have to download the other readers I assume.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks. And if I want to read them on my PC, I have to download the other readers I assume.
yes for best results, although if you are talking about non-DRM eBooks you can try a universal reader on your PC such as FBReader that can read several formats.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Don't choose MS Reader unless your portable device is a Windows Mobile/Pocket PC device. Good old MS dropped the ball in this arena. They once (arguably, still) had the best ereader program in the market, and didn't follow up. Linux heads should pray MS's long history of cluelessness continues.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard

Ah, thanks for that tip Jack. I downloaded Fictionwise Ereader software for secure books in that format.

Now I'm debating/checking out Calibre for converting those books so that I can transfer/read them once I get my Sony 600 reader. How well & how easy is it to use Calibre for this purpose?

But so far I have downloaded 5 books & have read them on my pc. I'm having a blast!
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You will want Calibre. It works very well indeed.

But it only works with non-DRM titles, so for DRMed ebooks you'll have to find out how to remove the DRM.

Quote:
Now I'm debating/checking out Calibre for converting those books so that I can transfer/read them once I get my Sony 600 reader. How well & how easy is it to use Calibre for this purpose?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote