Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Target Measurement System

What is the measurement system used by Calibre in output for the various formats? And, are there limitations we should know about? (like, mobi doesn't like 1.0em and 1.5 em indents - it rounds the second [or maybe truncates?]) one. And, can it be configurable?

Because I think I want my css to work like:

body{typesize:1em}
myypestyle1{typesize:76%}

This way I can change the whole size of everything by just changing the body typesize, but keep the same proportions. Without having to do math (again).

And, as long as I'm asking stuff:
On the typesize-selector mechanisms in the reading softwares; is there a way to predict what base size hits where on the scale?

For example, on a Reader, does a base point size of 12pts comw in at sm,med,lrg,xl,xxl?

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre supports the full range of CSS size specs for input files. For output files it will depend on the particular output format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Well, yes, that's what I was asking; only with maybe a few more specifics (on the output). Are they all coming out in ems?

Would having them come out as percentages provide a "tad" more control over layout, by making the proportions stick? Or is that how the reader(s) do it - by changing size by xx%, or just adding points, or huh-how?

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no single answer to that on the output size. How a particular reader rescales font sizes depends on the reader software/format in question.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote