Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Trying to get unicode fonts to work on PRS-700

Hi,

I am creating a book that requires lots of special accented characters from a few different European languages. I am creating my book in Word using the Bookcreator template, which exports to HTML and uses Calibre's ebook-convert to convert the HTML to the output format (I am outputting to LRF and EPUB).

The output files themselves appear fine (viewing the LRF in Calibre's LRF viewer and viewing the HTML inside the EPUB shows them to be correctly displaying the various unicode characters.

However, when I put the files on my PRS-700 I get a lot of these special characters missing (or in the EPUB they are often replaced with '?'.

So is there a way to get these files displaying properly (preferably without modifying the reader itself)? Is it a matter of embedding fonts into the EPUB output somehow?

Or (as I fear) is the PRS-700 simply not capable of displaying certain characters?

Or perhaps there are certain fonts that work with the PRS-700 better than the fonts I'm using (Calibri and Cambria).

SOLVED:
I found this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58901
and managed to upload the relevant font onto my device. It all works now. Now it's just a matter of working out how to automate this (and I suppose I also need to find some free fonts to embed in my books).

Last edited by djgreedo; 11-20-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: SOLVED
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-700
I had the same problem, but use Book Designer for formatting. It drove me crazy until I realized that the text encoding was the problem. BD defaults to Cyrillic, but there's an option on the File menu to change it. I embed the font (I use Gill Sans, though Calibri and Cambria work just as well) in the book file, which eliminates having to install any fonts on the reader.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert