Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So you're not using yours, then?
That depends on how much you respect laws. I trust you do not use yours since you seem to want to respect all laws.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #17
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
So you're not using yours, then?
I do - but then, I'm an old pirate, like most of Polish people didn't switch to legal things immediately when Poland acknowledged there's such thing as copyright, and that one is relatively small crime in my eyes.

Plus I'm waiting to see how OpenInkpot works out, to switch to it when its usable.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That depends on how much you respect laws. I trust you do not use yours since you seem to want to respect all laws.
My "contract" is with Bookeen. If THEY have not acted in good faith, that is not my problem. You claim they are guilty of copyright infringement, but to the best of my knowledge nobody has charged them with doing so. We have a quaint custom in my country of assuming that people are innocent until proven guilty. Until or unless a court rules that Bookeen are guilty of copyright infringement and tells me that I cannot continue to use my Gen3, I shall do so with a clear conscience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
By your definition, NO eBook reader is "legal" to use then, because on none of them is it possible to install Linux without the associated reading application. You can't install Linux on a Sony Reader without Sony's reading application, so does this mean that, in your view, it is "illegal" to use a Sony Reader?
Sony provide full sources to the Linux kernel and the drivers which are compiled into the kernel. They also have a clear mention of GPL in the manual. They do not provide sources for loadable drivers for the SD/MS cards, the sources for the reading application or instructions on installing your own kernel on the device as, alas, this is not required by the GPLv2 (and one of the things addressed by GPLv3).
That said, you definitely can "install Linux on a Sony Reader without Sony's reading application" even if it's a bit complicated.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/ProgressOfWenjieGsoc

So, Sony knows GPL and they abide by it. Bookeen did well by releasing (partial) sources, but they're not fully compliant just yet.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Igorsk,

I think that Krystian meant that no eBook reader is legal unless it will run its own Linux kernel compiled from the released GPL sources. Can you create and install a runnable kernel from the source that Sony provide? If not, I think that Krystian will regard it as illegal!

I'm aware of the OpenInkpot project - it will run on the Gen3, too. It looks like an extremely worthwhile project.
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #21
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, you can compile Sony's sources and use the compiled kernel to run it - that's what Wenjie started from.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My "contract" is with Bookeen. If THEY have not acted in good faith, that is not my problem. You claim they are guilty of copyright infringement, but to the best of my knowledge nobody has charged them with doing so. We have a quaint custom in my country of assuming that people are innocent until proven guilty. Until or unless a court rules that Bookeen are guilty of copyright infringement and tells me that I cannot continue to use my Gen3, I shall do so with a clear conscience.
But please can you stop pointing out possible copyright infringements in MobileRead then. Nobody has shown in a court that infringement occur so why remove links and why do you ask questions like the question about licences in this thread? Nobody has shown in court that it is problematic to use the Cybook firmware on a Starbook.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
why do you ask questions like the question about licences in this thread?
Because I'm (still) interested to know how the original poster obtained their software licence to run the Gen3's firmware on a StarEBook. I think it's undeniably true that the Mobi Reader is licenced commercial software, and that you can't run it (legally) without a licence to do so. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #25
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Because I'm (still) interested to know how the original poster obtained their software licence to run the Gen3's firmware on a StarEBook. I think it's undeniably true that the Mobi Reader is licenced commercial software, and that you can't run it (legally) without a licence to do so. Wouldn't you agree?
Mobi Reader undeniably is fully legal commercial software. However, status of BooReader with parts of Mobi Reader code in it isn't presently as clear.
Since running it without a licence hasn't been yet challenged in any court, I think we can safely assume we don't need a licence yet.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I do not agree if I am using your standard to test things in court first.

And not using your standard I think selling the Cybook is copyright infringement and I do not know how laws work in this case. I cannot see how Bookeen can sell a licence to something they have no right to distribute. So how can a licence then be required?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because I'm (still) interested to know how the original poster obtained their software licence to run the Gen3's firmware on a StarEBook.
Why do you assume he obtained one? I read the purpose of your question as pointing out that the poster have done something you think is illegal.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think that the majority of reasonable people would assume that a licence would be required, Tommy. It is a generally accepted fact that using commercial software (the Mobi Reader) without a licence would be inappropriate.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think that the majority of reasonable people would assume that a licence would be required, Tommy. It is a generally accepted fact that using commercial software (the Mobi Reader) without a licence would be inappropriate.
Since it is not tested in court I do not see how you can accept this (I might accept it but then I do not demand things to be tested in court). It is a generally accepted fact that distributing GPL:ed binaries without the code is copyright infringement. Why do you have different standards for this case?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Why do you have different standards for this case?
Because I'm a hypocrite, obviously.

I'm afraid I don't understand your attitude to the Gen3, Tommy. If you are so absolutely convinced that it is (in your view) illegal to use, why don't you return it to Bookeen and request a refund of your money? You repeatedly tell us that EU laws give you the right to do so.

Why do you continue to use something that you believe that you shouldn't be using? That seems like hypocracy to me - you tell other people that they shouldn't buy a Gen3, and yet you use one yourself. How do you rationalise that?