Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: When side loading: Your own content or "from somewhere else"?
I'm very much into sideloading. 80 60.61%
I don't care much about sideloading. 5 3.79%
I buy from my merchant of choice, strip from DRM and sideload to my hardware of choice. 103 78.03%
I download my content for free from "somewhere else", maybe convert to the target format and sideload to my hardware of choice. 12 9.09%
I'm sideloading to save my invest (=not losing books you originally bought in another format). 75 56.82%
I'm sideloading to save money (=not having to buy all books, but find some "somewhere else"). 9 6.82%
I'm mainly converting to ePUB, it's the most open and versatile format. 38 28.79%
I'm converting to whatever format I need for my momentary hardware of choice. 39 29.55%
I try to avoid paying for eBooks, it's easy to find all my stuff online. 2 1.52%
I don't mind paying for eBooks, it's relatively cheap anyway. 48 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In my personal, albeit limited, experience it's the other way around.

Those that do sideload carefully consider their purchase.
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I meant that of the people who DO sideload content to their devices, none of them have any more difficulty than others in doing so (especially not based on what device they have).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
If people have to calculate, whether they can afford another 20 Euro for their hardware: How can they ever afford the content.
Maybe I'm a bit extreme in my spending frenzy.
I think people are often more cautious about a lump sum than the same (or more!) money spread over a period.

This certainly applies to me. I've spent around £300 on ebooks so far this year, but I'm using a nook ST Glowlight I bought for around £70 some time ago. I look at the new Kindles, but I don't buy, even though the cost is a lot smaller than my annual spend on ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #33
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I'm very confused because of the wording of the questions. For example if I see "I download my content for free from "somewhere else", maybe convert to the target format and sideload to my hardware of choice", I think of the freebies I get from Amazon and convert to epub. Does "somewhere else" mean pirated?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #34
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood me. I meant that of the people who DO sideload content to their devices, none of them have any more difficulty than others in doing so (especially not based on what device they have).
Exactly. Most people who are inclined to sideload at all are very familiar with converting from one format to another. I agree that the presence of an external SD card does seem to be a consideration for some people, but I'm not sure that format really is.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Does "somewhere else" mean pirated?
Yes, that's exactly what it means in this instance.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Exactly. Most people who are inclined to sideload at all are very familiar with converting from one format to another. I agree that the presence of an external SD card does seem to be a consideration for some people, but I'm not sure that format really is.

Shari
I thought that I'd find the external SD slot on my Kobo H2O useful, but the reality is that I simply haven't needed it. The 2000-odd books that 4GB of storage permits are entirely sufficient for my needs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #37
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
I buy from my merchant of choice, strip from DRM and sideload to my hardware of choice.
This doesn't apply to me, because I buy only DRM-free content, which I then "sideload to my hardware of choice." Stripping DRM is illegal (at least under DMCA), so I see no point in paying somebody for something that I then have to break the law to use the way I want to.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
This doesn't apply to me, because I buy only DRM-free content, which I then "sideload to my hardware of choice." Stripping DRM is illegal (at least under DMCA), so I see no point in paying somebody for something that I then have to break the law to use the way I want to.
Does your self-imposed prohibition apply to all forms of DRM, or only to encryption-based DRM? Would you, for example, buy a book that employed watermarking?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #39
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, that's exactly what it means in this instance.
Thanks. I use Amazon mainly for cheap and free books and I hate trying to read on my Kindle so the statements with "somewhere else" seemed apply to me for that reason.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #40
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does your self-imposed prohibition apply to all forms of DRM, or only to encryption-based DRM? Would you, for example, buy a book that employed watermarking?
The point has been moot to date, as I have yet to encounter a book I wish to read with non-encryption DRM. If the DRM did not interfere with what device/reading-software combination I could use it with (or otherwise interfere with my reading experience), I (i) would have no need to "strip from DRM" anyway, and thus (ii) would see no impediment to buying it.

How common is non-encryption/watermarking DRM? I've occasionally heard it mentioned, but yet to even encounter it in the wild, let alone had to make a non-hypothetical decision about it.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #41
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I chose "I don't care about sideloading", "I buy from the merchant of my choice, strip and sideload to my hardware of choice" and "I don't mind paying for ebooks." I was a little stumped about the second one, because for me those three items are independent and not related to each other, but I chose it anyway.

My first ebook reader was sideload only; no wi-fi, so I had to download all content and connect to the computer to copy to my reader.

Now that I'm using all wi-fi devices, I pretty much just leave everything in the cloud. Every six months or so, I go through my email receipts and I download all of my purchases and import them into Calibre. I do use the tools on those books, but to be honest, most of the time if I want to actually *read* I book, I download it to my device from whatever vendor is holding it for me. I would like to someday have them all in Calibre, so that my library is in one place, but I haven't put the time into sorting those books yet.

The last time I sideloaded content was when I downloaded books that I bought for my son from Amazon (his Kindle Touch is linked to my account) and sideloaded them to his Kindle Fire (linked to his dad's account). Originally, setting up his devices to separate accounts made sense, since his dad has more apps in his account than I do in mine, but I didn't take into account the fact that Amazon does not allow the Kindle app to have a separate login from the tablet itself.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 11-10-2014 at 11:40 AM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #42
Cesca
Groupie
Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cesca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, iPads, Sonys
Wouldn't "somewhere else" included public domain sites like Project Gutenberg? There are plenty of free sites that don't have pirated books. Manybooks, Girl ebooks, etc.
Cesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The point has been moot to date, as I have yet to encounter a book I wish to read with non-encryption DRM. If the DRM did not interfere with what device/reading-software combination I could use it with (or otherwise interfere with my reading experience), I (i) would have no need to "strip from DRM" anyway, and thus (ii) would see no impediment to buying it.

How common is non-encryption/watermarking DRM? I've occasionally heard it mentioned, but yet to even encounter it in the wild, let alone had to make a non-hypothetical decision about it.
Apparently it's pretty common in some European countries. One of our members from Latvia told us that the main bookstore there uses it for all their books.

One very popular series of books that uses watermarking in the English-speaking world is J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. She sells these from her own site, and the books are watermarked.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #44
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
...Does "somewhere else" mean pirated?
Yes, that's what interested me.
I didn't want to phrase it that openly, but in the meantime the term has been used repeatedly.
That's why I put it in quotation marks.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #45
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
...Stripping DRM is illegal (at least under DMCA), so I see no point in paying somebody for something that I then have to break the law to use the way I want to.
That (purchasing legally, but then stripping from DRM) was exactly what I did in the past.
a.) I didn't feel guilty, because I had paid for it.
b.) I'd hope for some kind of quality, whereas content from the darknet can be "hit and miss".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote