Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #61
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscenZ View Post
Quite a few online reviews say the T68 screen looks rather yellowish when compared with Kobo Aura HD, though. I am primarily concerned if the i86 will have improved responsiveness in touch screen performance and better whiteness.
Most likely will be whiter background and darker fonts due to infrared screen
Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #62
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
to fiddle with a device in order to get it closer to a good (not perfect) functionality, will take many users away from these, how someone put it, niche products. me, for instance, I had to root my T68 in order to install an app which allows me to use it in full screen, and then, I had to delete some unnecessary applications, (like phone, telephony and messaging which are not supposed to be on device in the first place) in order to allow the battery to live longer than 3 days. if the new i86 will be like the t68, I am not sure if I'd jump into this wagon. too bad for them, because a great device like the t68 is drawn back by the firmware. c'mon, they had at least 6 months to develop it, and is not even the newest android.
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #63
AscenZ
AscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-booksAscenZ has learned how to read e-books

Device: Onyx Boox i86
Quote:
Originally Posted by babadockia View Post
to fiddle with a device in order to get it closer to a good (not perfect) functionality, will take many users away from these, how someone put it, niche products. me, for instance, I had to root my T68 in order to install an app which allows me to use it in full screen, and then, I had to delete some unnecessary applications, (like phone, telephony and messaging which are not supposed to be on device in the first place) in order to allow the battery to live longer than 3 days. if the new i86 will be like the t68, I am not sure if I'd jump into this wagon. too bad for them, because a great device like the t68 is drawn back by the firmware. c'mon, they had at least 6 months to develop it, and is not even the newest android.
I am astonished to hear there's a phone app on T68. They should have removed it. Did they use an unmodified version of pristine Android?

Bear in mind that this is a rather small company that has only recently switched to Android platform. I expect that now that the OS on all their newer devices has been unified, they can focus all developer hours into this single platform and update all devices at the same time in the future.
AscenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #64
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
I am astonished to hear there's a phone app on T68. They should have removed it. Did they use an unmodified version of pristine Android?

Bear in mind that this is a rather small company that has only recently switched to Android platform. I expect that now that the OS on all their newer devices has been unified, they can focus all developer hours into this single platform and update all devices at the same time in the future.
Yes, there is. And a telephony app, and a messaging app. I am no developper, or a gifted guy with devices, but, I think, is really simple to kill those processes. I didn't just kill them, I deleted them. And now, I come asking: why they did not do it?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:04 AM   #65
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
... I had to root my T68 in order to install an app which allows me to use it in full screen,...
For something other than one of the reading apps?
Because, most of them do have a full-screen mode.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 AM   #66
babadockia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
For something other than one of the reading apps?
Because, most of them do have a full-screen mode.
All of them, but only the native apps have a working one. And I use my reader just for that: for reading, no RSS feeds, no mail notification, nothing, is on airplane all the time, except when I use calibre companion to send books
Old 08-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #67
pintu98761
pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox i86
onyx

onyx atleast giving android on their device others are just using proprietary os where we cant do any other thing apart from they preassigned for their product.
Also there is no need of latest android since it will not benefit anyway to eink screen. Eink screen just uses basic functionality of android os like some reading apps other things. If you want more than that just go for tablets. Minor shortcoming onys ereaders will be there like early stages of android development. Refinement comes with time as onyx use to install android on their ereaders and as far as i know onyx frequently updates firmware and software so we can expect better updates in future. since i have m92 and still i am getting update after 18 months...no one do this......amazing!!!!. Lastly "No one can graduated by birth...it takes time".
pintu98761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #68
babadockia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintu98761 View Post
onyx atleast giving android on their device others are just using proprietary os where we cant do any other thing apart from they preassigned for their product.
Also there is no need of latest android since it will not benefit anyway to eink screen. Eink screen just uses basic functionality of android os like some reading apps other things. If you want more than that just go for tablets. Minor shortcoming onys ereaders will be there like early stages of android development. Refinement comes with time as onyx use to install android on their ereaders and as far as i know onyx frequently updates firmware and software so we can expect better updates in future. since i have m92 and still i am getting update after 18 months...no one do this......amazing!!!!. Lastly "No one can graduated by birth...it takes time".
i fully agree wth you, android is an open and great system, but bear in mind that these are e-readers, they are supposed to be simple to use, connect to a computer and be able to transfer books in seconds. and no, I didn't say they supposed to have the latest android, I said that this is an old software and they had time to play with it. and no, I don't want more from my e-reader, just to read, I already have a tablet.
imagine the average Joe buying a T68 and after 2 days having a message on screen telling him to charge the device. he will ask immediately for a refund and get a kobo, or even worse, a kindle. all that I am saying is this: they could have been more careful
Old 08-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #69
diegoocampo
Connoisseur
diegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipsediegoocampo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PocketBook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Now that you did that, how long that your t68 battery last? (standby/with constant use)??
diegoocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #70
pintu98761
pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pintu98761 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox i86
Quote:
i fully agree wth you, android is an open and great system, but bear in mind that these are e-readers, they are supposed to be simple to use, connect to a computer and be able to transfer books in seconds. and no, I didn't say they supposed to have the latest android, I said that this is an old software and they had time to play with it. and no, I don't want more from my e-reader, just to read, I already have a tablet.
imagine the average Joe buying a T68 and after 2 days having a message on screen telling him to charge the device. he will ask immediately for a refund and get a kobo, or even worse, a kindle. all that I am saying is this: they could have been more careful
Android os is generally known as battery eater since it needs more ram and more GHz to run thats why i think may b one of the reason to stop others to opt this fantastic os in their ereaders. So onyx ereaders with android os may b not as fantastic from earlier breed in terms of battery, but i confirm it after getting i86 in my hand, since m92 has decent battery backup.
pintu98761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use my T68 for a couple of hours a day, and have it set to turn off after an hour of inactivity. Battery life is excellent - after a week, battery charge is still over 80%. This is with WiFi turned off, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #72
babadockia
Zealot

when I got it, I used to have the same settings as you Harry, but after 3 days, after the first charge, (i know, you might say give it time, 4-5 complete cycles, and we talk back after) it had only 12%. but now, after i deleted those unnecessary apps, is on 99% after 3 days. but battery is not the only issue, for me at least. sorry for being such a stubborn ass.

Last edited by babadockia; 08-15-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #73
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Quote:
I had to root my T68 in order to install an app which allows me to use it in full screen
Which app did you install? It's possible to do without rooting (but requires some Android knowledge and information from the Onyx dev team. I contacted them when I needed a way to do it and they kindly provided me with a solution)

Quote:
The reason they have a phone app is that it does not do anything wrong. It does not consume any CPU or significant memory. IMHO people who removed it and experienced a boost in their battery life confuse correlation with causality.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #74
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
Which app did you install? It's possible to do without rooting (but requires some Android knowledge and information from the Onyx dev team. I contacted them when I needed a way to do it and they kindly provided me with a solution)
wow ... this solution looks interesting ! is it very complex ?

I think he s talking about the full!screen app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orn.FullScreen ) I think somebody (booxtor maybe ?) talked about it on the forum ...
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #75
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
wow ... this solution looks interesting ! is it very complex ?
I can share a small app that I written that turns on and off the status bar - that's the simplest way. For people who want something more advanced, I can try to guide how to do it, or even write an alternative app, if it's simple enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
I think he s talking about the full!screen app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orn.FullScreen ) I think somebody (booxtor maybe ?) talked about it on the forum ...
Hmmmm.... I tried to use the xposed framework plugin to remove the status bar and it didn't work (that was before I talked to onyx dev ), but I didn't think of full!screen back then (though I did use it in the past on my phone). Does it actually work? Does it also restore the status bar correctly as well?
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote