Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #421
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
A few more Random House bargains (still waiting for drops almost everywhere but Amazon).

The Seducer (Seducers #1) by Madeline Hunter - $1.99
Kindle | Google

Quote:
From the moment he arrived to rescue her, Diane Albret saw more in the darkly handsome, charismatic gentleman than just a guardian. Over the years that have passed since she first laid eyes on Daniel St. John, he had become, quite simply, the most dangerously irresistible man she could ever have imagined. Diane herself has changed from a bewildered schoolgirl, tragically orphaned, into a determined young woman of alluring charm and beauty. Now, leaving the cloistered life of her school, she has been brought to Daniel’s home with dreams of her own amid rumors and hints of scandal. But the legendary seducer seems to have other plans for Diane—and he possesses a secret about her lost past that he will do everything to keep: a secret that will put both their lives in jeopardy, even as the passion they have denied for so long threatens to break out of all control.
Blaze of Winter (Star Harbor #2) by Elisabeth Barrett - $0.99
Kindle

Quote:
Frustrated with her job in Boston, social worker Avery Newbridge welcomes the opportunity to reassess her life when her family asks her to help manage the Star Harbor Inn. Trying to figure out her future is overwhelming enough, but she doesn’t count on distraction in the form of one Theo Grayson, the gorgeous, green-eyed author who she knows is trouble from the moment he saunters into the inn.

Not only does he have a talent for writing swashbuckling adventures, but Theo also has a soft spot for big-hearted damsels in distress, especially a woman who’s great at helping everyone—except herself. Avery’s demons challenge him, but for desire this hot, he isn’t backing down. With every kiss and heated whisper Theo promises her his heart . . . if only Avery is willing to open up and accept it.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #422
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I bought five books and one Audible this week. So not too bad right?

I read:

Last Chance Christmas by Hope Ramsay (4 stars). This was Stone's story and the conclusion of Hailey's Angel and I think had it really been the holidays I would have enjoy it more. This is why I can't read a Christmas book unless it's around that time of the year. Still I had to know how the gruff sheriff gets his HEA although I was a tad disappointed in the romance. I think I may read Dash's story next but I need a break first.

Bound by Lorelei James (4.5 stars) I saw's DA's review on this and knew immediately I would love it! I was not disappointed. Ronin Black is my kind of hero. This is not another 50 Shades story but something really unique. The hero is part Japanese which I thought was really cool and he owns a Dojo and is a Master in Jujitsu. This is a weakness for me. There just isn't enough heroes out there like that. He's actually a nice guy which is what I think really drew me to him. The heroine however. Gosh I have mixed feelings on her. She one of those runs hot and cold and gives you whiplash. I liked her but didn't love her. She has too many issues and well morality isn't a bad thing and I felt she acted like a rebellious teenager and needed to really grow up. This is erotic romance so if you read this some of the words used to describe the sex scenes are raw. As I said in previous post the C word I could do without specially when a Character uses it to describe a feminine part of anatomy it's just sooo unsexy. All that said I haven't enjoy a book more in a very long time and I am counting the days for the conclusion to come out.

Bared To You by Sylvia Day (DNF) My first DNF of the year Where's the romance in this? I was immediately annoyed with how in heat the heroine is from the moment she mets the guy and got tired of it quickly. The chemistry just isn't believable and there is no sexual tension whatsoever between the two. I had to lay it down because this is very much alot like FSOG but with better writing but with sterile characters. At least with Ana and Christian there was build up and mystery and I hate to say it chemistry and passion. Eva and Gideon seem to be like every other erotica I read you know the ones where you just skip the story and go straight to sex. I just don't get the appeal?

So that brings me to this. I think Bound put me in a book funk. *sigh* There is just nothing I know of even similar out there so I don't know what to read next and I have till March 25th so I can't be in a book funk so I need something to grab my attention but what?!?

Any one know of any books where the hero is a Martial Arts Instructor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Febweek4-2014a.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	119492  

Last edited by Blossom; 02-23-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #423
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
For all you Android users . . . if you haven't already downloaded the app I recommend Google Opinion Rewards. It did not take me more than a few months to rack up over $20 in credits just by answering 1 or 2 questions a day a few times a week. I 've been using my credits to purchase publisher bargains in the Google book store. So far I've gotten 6 books for $10 in credits and still have $10 left to spend.

Well worth the (almost no) effort.
I've had it installed since they launched it (November???), but never get survey's. I've accumulated a whole $1.50 since they launched it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #424
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
Blossom, Her Singapore Fling, a HP by Kelly Hunter has a martial arts instructor/dojo owner as a hero. Also Against the ropes by Sarah Castile, the hero was a MMA fighter, though I don't know if that's what your looking for. He's also a billionaire dom who made furniture IIRC (LOL) so he was pretty far-fetched as a hero.

Last edited by hannahi; 02-23-2014 at 11:45 PM.
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #425
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've had it installed since they launched it (November???), but never get survey's. I've accumulated a whole $1.50 since they launched it.
That's a bummer. I wonder if they recall the requests after they've had a certain number of participants? Since I'm on my tablet throughout the day I frequently see the notifications.
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #426
apesmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Out of Control by Shannon McKenna
Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #427
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
So that brings me to this. I think Bound put me in a book funk. *sigh* There is just nothing I know of even similar out there so I don't know what to read next and I have till March 25th so I can't be in a book funk so I need something to grab my attention but what?!?

I'm having the same problem - I DNF'd three or four books again this week! All contemporaries. But on the plus side it's really making a dent in my library!

MMA is all over the place right now, but none that I've read are instructors that I can recall - just fighters...
NixLapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #428
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
When I want a book I know I'll enjoy, I usually go for Sarah Mayberry. Her books have a lot of emotional angst but I love them! They're short but satisfying contemporary reads.

I just finished the first 2 books of Tiffany Reisz's Original Sinners series, and OMG! So good. I don't think they count as romance though. More like emotional roller coaster, intellectual, amazing S&M erotica. Like Megan Hart with intense kink, slightly less bittersweet and more religion?

I've been lucky enough to be on a good streak. All 4 or 5 stars for the past week. Crossing my fingers it continues.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #429
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
I just finished the first 2 books of Tiffany Reisz's Original Sinners series, and OMG! So good. I don't think they count as romance though. More like emotional roller coaster, intellectual, amazing S&M erotica. Like Megan Hart with intense kink, slightly less bittersweet and more religion?
Can I ask what you mean by 'more religion'? I have this series and pushed it way up my TBR pile so I'm very curious.

Quote:
I've been lucky enough to be on a good streak. All 4 or 5 stars for the past week. Crossing my fingers it continues.
That's great, such a good feeling when you hit a streak like that! I just did too, and thank goodness because just before that I had a streak of 5 DNF in a row!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #430
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NixLapi View Post
I'm having the same problem - I DNF'd three or four books again this week! All contemporaries. But on the plus side it's really making a dent in my library!

MMA is all over the place right now, but none that I've read are instructors that I can recall - just fighters...
Yeah I like fighter books but they are not the same as the hero teaching the heroine how to defend herself. Most fighters are full of rage and such while the Martial Arts Instructor is very zen and mysterious.

I started reading Naked in Death and wow it is every so slow! Police Procedurals are just not my thing but I am soo curious about Roarke who everyone always talks about. The futuristic stuff is throwing me off as Nora is not great on describing the world around Eve.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #431
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
I started reading Naked in Death and wow it is every so slow! Police Procedurals are just not my thing but I am soo curious about Roarke who everyone always talks about. The futuristic stuff is throwing me off as Nora is not great on describing the world around Eve.
I love this series, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

And keep in mind when Naked in Death was first published in 1995 there wasn't a futuristic sub-genre like there is now. There also weren't really any billionaire heroes. The characters types of Eve & Roarke have been copied a lot in the last 19 years.

ETA: The world-building gets better in the next book. I always tell people to read the first three because I know several people who did not like book one but went on to become hooked on the series.

Last edited by library addict; 02-24-2014 at 02:52 PM.
library addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #432
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
Blossom, Her Singapore Fling, a HP by Kelly Hunter has a martial arts instructor/dojo owner as a hero. Also Against the ropes by Sarah Castile, the hero was a MMA fighter, though I don't know if that's what your looking for. He's also a billionaire dom who made furniture IIRC (LOL) so he was pretty far-fetched as a hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Out of Control by Shannon McKenna
I will look into these. Years ago I read one and I can't find it anywhere. It started off the heroine is in her apartment painting her toes and she is all out of cotton balls so she uses marshmallows to separate her toes instead and just as she finished she hears this loud rock type style music from next door. So in a huff she hobbles out the door of her apartment with the marshmallows between her doors and knocks on the next door but there is no answer and I think the door isnt latch so it opens and she sticks her head inside and there is the hero practicing so form of Kata and she about swoons. He notices her and they have a witty funny conversation in which she leaves in a huff and he looks down and see the marshmallows on his floor and smiles. That's all I remember except there is two romances in this book the heroine and her best friend, the hero and his best friend. The hero's best friend is Asian. I believe the heroine's ex causes the hero problems by saying he is involved in some kind of drug related crimes and the hero and hero's friend is upset because they are recalled to their Sensei and he is afraid they are going to be dishonored. I remember he does teach the heroine how to meditate and see through her inner eye. That is all I can remember about this book.

Does it ring a bell? I thought if may be a Harlequin or Precious Gem book maybe even a LoveSwept but I can't find it.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #433
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I love this series, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

And keep in mind when Naked in Death was first published in 1995 there wasn't a futuristic sub-genre like there is now. There also weren't really any billionaire heroes. The characters types of Eve & Roarke have been copied a lot in the last 19 years.

ETA: The world-building gets better in the next book. I always tell people to read the first three because I know several people who did not like book one but went on to become hooked on the series.
Okay I will have to take your word for it then. I am reading it and Jill Shalvis claims the most amazing heros are Roarke and Ranger and we know how crazy I am about Ranger. So I must get to learn about Roarke and I do like Eve so far. How many of the books have romance in them? I think I read that it starts off with romance but then fades out and becomes just a mystery later.

The billionaire hero is one of the reason I want to read it because it was a first back then. I started of just listening to the audible of it but when the narrator got to Roarke's voice I just couldn't go on and switch to ebook. I own the first 6 books in ebook and the first two in Audible.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #434
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Okay I will have to take your word for it then. I am reading it and Jill Shalvis claims the most amazing heros are Roarke and Ranger and we know how crazy I am about Ranger. So I must get to learn about Roarke and I do like Eve so far. How many of the books have romance in them? I think I read that it starts off with romance but then fades out and becomes just a mystery later.
Yes and no Technically book 1 is the only romance as it ends in a HEA. But the romance is throughout the entire series. Some books focus on it much more than others, but the series is a mix of the exploration of Eve & Roarke's marriage (don't think that's really a spoiler ) and Eve's job as a homicide cop. There is a case (or cases) in every book so in many ways that is the emphasis, but every book also has some great character moments. Sometimes the personal stuff is more intertwined with the case and sometimes not. Hard to say more without getting into spoiler territory.

The books in the series were often filed in the mystery section in book stores (I remember that's where Waldenbooks kept them) and in many libraries they are on the shelves with the mysteries.

Quote:
The billionaire hero is one of the reason I want to read it because it was a first back then. I started of just listening to the audible of it but when the narrator got to Roarke's voice I just couldn't go on and switch to ebook. I own the first 6 books in ebook and the first two in Audible.
I think Susan Erickson (sp?) is much more talented than the first person they had narrating the series. But her Roarke sounds like the Lucky Charms leprachaun to me. And some of her other voices don't sound "right" to me. I realize as a performer she is just trying to give each of them a unique sound so that the listener can tell who is speaking, but I had to stop listening after a while because it got to the point where I was annoyed with characters I like because of the way they sounded. Totally my issue, but I just disagree with some of her interpretations.
library addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #435
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post

I think Susan Erickson (sp?) is much more talented than the first person they had narrating the series. But her Roarke sounds like the Lucky Charms leprachaun to me. And some of her other voices don't sound "right" to me. I realize as a performer she is just trying to give each of them a unique sound so that the listener can tell who is speaking, but I had to stop listening after a while because it got to the point where I was annoyed with characters I like because of the way they sounded. Totally my issue, but I just disagree with some of her interpretations.
That's who the narrator is Susan Erickson. I can't stand her Roarke voice. I really wish Audible let you sample a narrator's male and female voices before purchasing. I've had this Audible for a few years so I can't get a refund.