Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free SF/Fantasy - Baen Gift Bundle Final Batch Jan 2000, Jul 2004, Dec 2005, Mar 2007

ETA: Only 3 bundles will get passed on. I screwed up entering the email during the initial checkout on Dec 2005, and very likely Baen Support is asleep and won't be able to get back to me before everything expires. Sorry about that. And please be extra careful when checking out, just in case.

Final four bundles I'm getting with the very last of my Planet Baen discount coupons. Managed to find four final bundles in which I wanted at least 1 book, and 2 others were sufficiently curiosity-inducing to make it worth it to me to pay an amortized ~$3 per title that I was likely to at least look at.

After this, there's nothing left that comes in sufficiently interesting-to-dud ratio for me to spend $10-$18 upon and the few books I kind of want that are left, I'll either have to pick up separately out of my own pocket if no one else steps up with more gift bundles. I did kind of want May 2008 or some other combination of the Heinlein I don't have and the Hoyt I don't have which is the prequel to the other Hoyt that I have, but it wasn't quite good enough value for money.

Since we're probably down to the last few hours if we're unlucky, you know the drill: pass on all 4 codes redeemed in separate transactions, stick around until you're done.

NB: As people have been popping in and out and we've had to skip persons who haven't shown back up in a timely fashion, I suggest that the redeemer not only send the codes on to the next person via the usual fashion, but they can also PM me a copy of the codes from their confirmation email. You can also do this with any of my other bundle offers which you may be the current code-holder for and really want to go off to bed after.

I live on Pacific Time and have insomnia anyway and will be staying up to go over the backlist and non-monthly-bundle Baen things I think I might want to get in case of price increase, so I can handle redirecting the codes to people who are actually on line to redeem and pass them on.

I am about to get the following:

January 2000

The Apocalypse Troll by David Weber
Eagle Against the Stars by Steve White
Firefight Y2K by Dean Ing (short story collection with author explanations, which I like to see, even though I looked up Ing and he seems to be one of those slightly strange survivalist types)
Dragonne's Eg by Mary Brown (the 4th book which completes the omnibus I was mentioning skimming through earlier; the author has been dead a long time and it seems likely that when Baen's rights to her books expire, they'll end up in limbo as her next-of-kin may be e-book clueless or disinclined, like John M. Ford's heirs, who apparently actively hated his writing career and are passive-aggressively suppressing his work)

July 2004

Emerald Sea by John Ringo
Masters of Fantasy by Bill Fawcett (this anthology contains a Mercedes Lackey Valdemar short story not found elsewhere)
3xT by Harry Turtledove (reason why I'm buying: two novels and a collection of his better shorts)
The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz edited by Eric Flint
The Service of the Sword by David Weber
Visions of Liberty by Martin Harry Greenberg and Mark Tier (should have some interesting short stories; fellow MR member author Robert J. Sawyer has an Aurora-awarded short story in this, IIRC)
Kicking the Sacred Cow by James P. Hogan (apparently he went really nutty before he died, with AIDS denialism and other pseudo-scientific weirdness, which is apparently presented in all its dubious glory in this collection of "non-fiction" essays; morbid curiosity value)

December 2005

Music to My Sorrow by Mercedes Lackey and Rosemary Edghill (I've gotten nearly all of Lackey & Edghill's Baen works in e-format free (own many of the paper books) due to the BFL and the 2 CDs, so I don't mind giving them a little back)
Bridge of the Separator by Harry Turtledove (reason why I'm buying this; 3rd in the Videssos series)
Conrad's Lady by Leo Frankowski (another author who went kind of loopy and started ranting in his books; but this is a 3-in-1 omnibus edition, so at least it provides volume for money and this is supposed to be one of his better series before he went kind of loopy and started ranting in these particular books as well)
Catastrophes, Chaos and Convolutions by James P. Hogan (real fiction this time, with author outroductions explaining how the story got written, which I always like; hopefully written before he went kind of loopy and started ranting in his books)
Emerald Sea by John Ringo
Demon's Gate by Steve White

March 2007

Hell Hath No Fury by David Weber and Linda Evans
Future Weapons of War by Joe Haldeman and Martin Harry Greenberg (should contain interesting stories)
To Outlive Eternity by Poul Anderson (mildly liked some of Anderson's work; hope this one is okay)
Watch on the Rhine by John Ringo and Tom Kratman
Alternate Generals III by Harry Turtledove (reason why I'm buying, to go with the other alternate history multi-author anthologies in this series)
A Mankind Witch by Dave Freer
The Three-Cornered War by John Dalmas (septagenarian author seems like a pretty nice, thoughtful guy, according to his website, which you may recall from having visited earlier when he was giving away his backlist as PDF before he signed a re-publication deal with Baen and had to pull them; I hope he gets a few extra cents on his royalty checks from this)

You should all know the drill by now, with the caveat that people who stick around are the ones who get served first. Please remember to PM me the codes you send on if you want to walk away from the computer for a while and there are still people waiting and the next person isn't showing the little "online" X in the box below their MR username.

Happy reading, and thank you all for participating and keeping things going, and especially thanks to the other posters who were also moved to buy and pass on additional Baen bundles over the past couple of days.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-14-2012 at 09:46 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
PM to ATDrake
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
pm to gweeks
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
JeffZ
Zealot
JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeffZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
PM to kg3
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Visions of Liberty by Martin Harry Greenberg and Mark Tier (should have some interesting short stories; fellow MR member author Robert J. Sawyer has an Aurora-awarded short story in this, IIRC)
Sorry, no. This one is bad.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Howlingwolf
Groupie
Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Touch
Oops...

That went quick

PM to JeffZ
Howlingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
-->Howlingwolf, it needs to be to JeffZ

-edit - you caught it!
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
PM to howling Wolf
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
mobmind
Connoisseur
mobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankindmobmind has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
PM to camiller
mobmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Crap. Got distracted during checkout. Won't be able to pass on Dec 2005, sorry. I'll email Baen support and see if they can do anything on such short notice, but if you wanted Videssos #3 to complete, you'll have to pick it up separately or in the other bundle which contains it.

At least that's the one with the objectively lowest value-per-money selection of books (2+ CD freebies and some mostly-ranting authors).
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Crap. Got distracted during checkout. Won't be able to pass on Dec 2005, sorry. I'll email Baen support and see if they can do anything on such short notice, but if you wanted Videssos #3 to complete, you'll have to pick it up separately or in the other bundle which contains it.
Don't worry about it. We'll go on without it.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Howlingwolf
Groupie
Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.Howlingwolf has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
-->Howlingwolf, it needs to be to JeffZ

-edit - you caught it!
Yes. Type, submit... Bugger, where did all them come from

Edit, submit... Damn, did it again

And now your message has been edited between the time I clicked quote and the time it came up for replying
Howlingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Pm to mobmind
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
PM to Ginwen
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard

Okay, the 3 which went through got passed on to gweeks, copies in my inbox.

I'm going to try emailing the Baen Support people and see if anyone's awake this late (probably not).

Let that be a lesson to you: never click the Place Order button from the bottom of the screen where you can't see if you've entered the next address or not (still not sure how that happened).

Also, former Baen author Doranna Durgin's book, which got yanked from the Jan 2000 bundle, is currently free over @ Smashwords, along with another of hers: Wolverine's Daughter