Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
addepalli1
addepalli1 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS 500, Kindle DX
Viewing Technical Papers on reader: Newbie

I have collection of pdf files (mostly technical publications) in two colum IEE
publication formation, i have tried various combinations on a trial and error basis to conver them to rtf or print them to pdf with reduced size to be able to read on my reader. None of my attemps prduced a readable document on my reader(with out squinting).

Is there a way i can convert all these publications that i have to eother rtf/pdf that i can read on sony readed.

Suggestions---help--- any thing would be greatly appreciated
addepalli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Welcome! I recommend you read the thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=pdflrf

PDFLRF is a free utility that will convert your pdf files to LRF files in a way that they will be very readable on your Sony. It's not an ideal solution but works and I use it all the time.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
addepalli1

Vivaldirules ... I tried this...the best part being it preservs the 2 column format..It essentially gives me something but yet again i am not able to read the content with out squinting and am not able to increase the size. Back to square one.. :-((
Old 01-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
cvsmale
cvsmale began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie
Use pdflrf in portrait mode with the split column option enabled. If the vertical center is between the two columns, the output one column which spans the display of the reader. Obviously anything that spans two columns will not be readable such as the title of the paper. Good luck.
cvsmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
addepalli1

Great it worked.... I only wish i could covert my other pdf documents the same way...:-(( i have few ebooks (pdf files) any suggestion on converting them...
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by addepalli1 View Post
i have few ebooks (pdf files) any suggestion on converting them...
If they're DRM'd your out of look at this point.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
addepalli1

Hmm none of them are DRM'd....so now can i consider my self luck.... or is it too soon.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
If no DRM, you're in luck and should be able to use PDFLRF although you may need to set the options differently.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
addepalli1

great great thanks alll

I am listing here all the options tat are avialble can u rep with wot the setting shd be...

Thanks again,

split pages
join pages
smart cut
ghostscript
padding
cross sides
no toc
overlap
colors
grayscale
filter
scale
stretch
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I uncheck split pages and join pages.
I leave the check in smart cut.
I set the stretch to fit height.
I leave everything else as it is by default.
I set the thickening to either 1 or 2.

I set the rotation to 0 and set the orientation to portrait.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
addepalli1

Wonderfull

Great it works for me.....
Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
nike984
nike984 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If they're DRM'd your out of look at this point.
even though the pdf file is DRM'd, if your using linux and xpdf viewer,
xpdf can print the DRM'd file into ps format, then you may use
ps2pdf to convert ps to pdf back.
That's how I rip off the DRM from PDF files
nike984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I uncheck split pages and join pages.
I leave the check in smart cut.
I set the stretch to fit height.
I leave everything else as it is by default.
I set the thickening to either 1 or 2.

I set the rotation to 0 and set the orientation to portrait.

Can you tell me where to find the "stretch to fit height" and "thickening" options, please? I can't see them in my copy of PDFLRF ..
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Can you tell me where to find the "stretch to fit height" and "thickening" options, please? I can't see them in my copy of PDFLRF ..
Which version of PDFLRF do you have? if you have .99 at the bottom of the options, see SCALE and STRETCH. This is using the Windows GUI version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Ah! Thanks Jon, I was using version 0.9, I didn't realise there was a later version available.
I've picked up the correct version now.

Irene
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote