Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you change or sell your current iPad to get the iPad3?
Yes 52 37.68%
No 60 43.48%
Maybe, need to see it in action. 26 18.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #46
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
My kids still have their iPod Touch 3's and when I look at them after being used to my 4 it's like, "WOAH, that looks terrible!" Definitely noticeable.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I don't want to bias my own poll... but if its weight is more than what we have now, I will not.

The only reason why I returned or changed my iPad1 was because I bought it about a week before new one came out. When I confirmed iPad2 was thinner and not so heavy as iPad1, I decided to go for most recent model instead. I knew it was going to be more comfortable to hold; I was right.

I know retina display is really a nice bonus for those who use it as an ereader, but to me, weight is an important factor as well. I want something comfortable and light when reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah, well, I consider the iPad 2 neither comfortable nor light. I've had it fall on my face a couple of times while reading that I only use it when I absolutely need the bigger screen (mostly for comics and manga). Heck, even the Nook Color, I consider to be too heavy.

For normal reading, I'm either on my iPhone, iPod Touch, Nexus S or PRS-350.
Unfortunately the iPad 3 is heavier than the iPad 2. The Wi-Fi version is 1.44 lbs, and the 4G model is 1.46 lbs. That's in contrast to the 1.33 lbs. for the iPad2 Wi-Fi, and 1.34 & 1.35 lbs. for the iPad 2's 3G model (depending on the carrier). At least none of them are as heavy as the original's 1.5 pounds, but they're moving in the wrong direction.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Unfortunately the iPad 3 is heavier than the iPad 2. The Wi-Fi version is 1.44 lbs, and the 4G model is 1.46 lbs. That's in contrast to the 1.33 lbs. for the iPad2 Wi-Fi, and 1.34 & 1.35 lbs. for the iPad 2's 3G model (depending on the carrier). At least none of them are as heavy as the original's 1.5 pounds, but they're moving in the wrong direction.
Higher power requirements, hence a bigger, slightly heavier, battery. I think they've made the right choice in preserving battery life; 60g more isn't an awful lot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #49
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Unfortunately the iPad 3 is heavier than the iPad 2...
Just for fun I spent a few minutes in the kitchen, and I couldn't find an egg in my fridge that didn't weigh more than sixty grams, or a clementine in my fruit bowl. Sixty grams is a handful of jelly beans. My wristwatch weighs twice that much. My work keys three times.

Seriously, if you're worried about the extra sixty grams, you don't even need to hit the gym - just take the change out of your pockets. And I agree - I think Apple made the correct choice on this, personally.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Just for fun I spent a few minutes in the kitchen, and I couldn't find an egg in my fridge that didn't weigh more than sixty grams, or a clementine in my fruit bowl. Sixty grams is a handful of jelly beans. My wristwatch weighs twice that much. My work keys three times.
Seriously, if you're worried about the extra sixty grams, you don't even need to hit the gym - just take the change out of your pockets. And I agree - I think Apple made the correct choice on this, personally.
+1. For me, the iPad 2 is already too heavy so an extra 60g doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. However, a reduction in battery life would be sorely noticeable.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Sorry, but the weight's a deal-breaker for me. That is, it would be, if the price weren't already. Does look to be a fantastic product, though.

I was hoping for a slightly smaller iPad to be announced. Maybe not as small as the 7" Kindle Fire, but somewhere in-between. One that would have been "just right."

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-08-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: The Fire's screen is not 7'.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #52
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I have the first gen iPad so this is an easy upgrade choice for me.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #53
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I also have the original iPad (the "old" iPad). Since I don't use it that much, I am trying to find valid reasons for an upgrade.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #54
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Apple is a global company (~60% of last quarter's revenue from outside the US and no sign of that reducing any time soon) and 4G networks outside the US seems to be mostly in the planning stage, currently.
I live in Japan and 4G is already up and running in the Kanto area all around Tokyo (and Osaka as far as I know?). The Sendai area will be getting it by the end of the year, and I am sure Korea has it!
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #55
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Sorry, but the weight's a deal-breaker for me. That is, it would be, if the price weren't already. Does look to be a fantastic product, though.

I was hoping for a slightly smaller iPad to be announced. Maybe not as small as the 7" Kindle Fire, but somewhere in-between. One that would have been "just right."
+1

Same here ...

Weight's a deal-breaker for me too.

A 7 or 8 inches iPad woul be awesome!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #56
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Weight? Lol. 1.44lbs. It's always resting on something when I us it. Yes if it was significantly heavier I could understand. But it's still under 1.5 lbs.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #57
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I guess it's the same as with every product ... depending on your personal needs and wants, very few product will completely satisfy you, but somewhere out there there should be a product that works great for you.

Nevertheless, I hazard the guess that the new iPad will work for *a lot* of people, be it those who already have an iPad and are eager to upgrade, or those (and that is the vastly larger group) who have so far not bought an iPad.

So simply given the technical specs and the new videos available at www.apple.com I foresee (no big risk on my part here) that this item will sell like hot cake. Why? Because it's basically a solid machine for those who are in the target group (potentially not people wanting an e-reader, as there are lots of lighter, cheaper alternatives with and without e-ink displays out there that don't have significant disadvantages as an e-reader).

Nevertheless, those who want to use an iPad for web browsing and using the apple apps (IMO the biggest advantage) and simply want a machine that works once they turn it on, will most likely be quite impressed by the new screen, and as the prices were not increased, this means that the item itself becomes more desirable.

And let's not forget, whatever perceived disadvantages the iPad has for a specialized group of tech savvy consumers (closed system / no SD card possible etc.), for the vast majority of the populace it has one simple advantage. IT WORKS. No much hassle in set-up, intuitive handling, consumer-driven experience, bazillions of apps available.

It was not the first tablet PC that was around, but there is a good reason why the original iPad practically created the segment "Tablet PC" (as the first iPhone created the segment "smartphone" referring to a non-ergonomic piece of telephone that nobody thought you would be able to make phone calls with when it was originally presented). Of course, marketing hat as much to do with it than "understanding customers requirements", but it would be stupid to underestimate that.

So, in a nutshell, I don't see the iPad dead yet, quite on the contrary, with this new device I guess there will be a new enthusiasm to buy and use it.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 03-09-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #58
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't think the retina display would make much difference to my eyes. My eyesight has been getting worse lately, I need a new prescription soon. I didn't notice anything special about the iPhone 4S compared to my ancient iPod Touch. And I'm happy with my iPad 2 right now, except it's a bit limited in capacity (16Gb) but it's not enough of a problem to buy a new one not even a year after I bought this one.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #59
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I agree Andy. Except for the sd card slot & closed system. Other than that, yes it will sell like hot cakes.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #60
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I work with technical PDFs on it. I did not see a good reason for upgrade from 1 to 2 - a bit faster a bit lighter, nothing major, so I skipped iPad2... But 3rd has 2048x1536 resolution, and it is the main reason for me. 133 dpi is definitely too low density. I read from Galaxy Note now even more often then from e-ink... I wish to have a fast e-ink with a big screen, but it does not exist.

iPad3 was pre-ordered!

Last edited by hel; 03-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad3