Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #151
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I seriously doubt it..
Okay, but I warned you!
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
I'm putting all my books up at Kobo right now! Just uploaded the second Molly book. Everything else is pending approval.

Kobo just opened up to self-published authors (who didn't want to go through Smashwords) last week. I've been busy prepping files and having my books converted into epubs. I also went through the third Molly book, which had problems as an e-book, and cleaned it up.

All of these books should appear next week. All will be DRM-free, which I'm very vocal about. And I have to tell you, I think Kobo has it going on. I love their website; I love the people who work there; and I love that Wired magazine gave their reader its editors' choice award.

And it's epub, which I'm starting to really, really love.
This is good news. I look forward to getting First Shift from Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #153
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You do seem to know a lot about me. Since I *do* know how to remove DRM, I don't whine. And you know, I've long ago past my whining stage. Life is to short to bitch about things you have no control over. If you and Jon want to worry about these things, you both can worry for me.
I know how to remove DRM. I just don't want to bother with it. And have an ePub that is a baldy codded calibre conversion... Yurk !

And i was speaking of "can't" as in "drm hadn't been hacked and there's no way anyone can remove it".

Good to know hugh. Maybe i shall remember to get wool at some point. When i'm done reading the books i've bought
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #154
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
I heard from Random House last week that they are hoping to have that up in the next two weeks. They took over the rights to the series in the UK/Australia/NZ markets. Their focus has been on getting WOOL ready for the hardback release; now they're shifting their focus to FIRST SHIFT to have that up as an e-book.

Look at it this way: Your wait for SECOND SHIFT will be much shorter than for everyone else!
WOOHOO!! 2 weeks (hits page refresh constantly). I can't wait.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #155
R.Stephenson
R.Stephenson began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'm torn between reading Wool or Divergent.
R.Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Stephenson View Post
Read Wool Omnibus and then Divergent after.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #157
R.Stephenson
R.Stephenson began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Read Wool Omnibus and then Divergent after.
Thanks!
R.Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #158
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Stephenson View Post
I have read both and I preferred Wool. If you're a teenage girl, you will like Divergent better.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #159
The_Book_Doctor
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
According to Hugh, he doesn't care about readers who do not have a Kindle. So please, don't buy this at least until it's available elsewhere in ePub. To release it in ePub a month later is just wrong.
Please cite your source. I don't believe that Mr. Howey ever said such a thing.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #160
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Book_Doctor View Post
Please cite your source. I don't believe that Mr. Howey ever said such a thing.
I never would. I happen to own a Kobo and a Droid tablet. My wife has a Kindle. I write on a Mac and use the iBookstore and iTunes regularly. I worked in a Barnes and Noble for two years while in college and spend most of my money in their awesome stores. Sony gets all my money via my PS3 and PSP. I certainly don't play favorites.

However, if B&N reached out to me about doing some promotions, I would be jumping up and down and dancing a jig. I've never heard from them. I get emails from the teams at Kindle, the iBookstore, and Kobo all the time. They work with indies no differently than they work with their major publishers. As long as we make readers happy, they don't care how we published or with whom.

I'm hoping B&N chooses to do something similar with my books. I've had my works up on their site longer than I have at Kobo or the iBookstore. In fact, I left the Kindle Select program *because* I wanted to support Nook owners. I was getting a sprinkling of emails from people with other devices begging me to leave Select, which would mean giving up a ton of money every month from the lending library. I did this anyway. I've been losing money every month in order to not be Kindle-exclusive. I keep hoping this money will be made up by purchases in other outlets, but it isn't even close. I do 95% of my sales on the Kindle store. And so, in supporting owners of other devices, I've taken a huge pay cut (we're paid for every "free borrow" by Amazon).

I keep hoping this will turn around, but from what I've been told, piracy is much more rampant with epubs and on other devices. Kindle owners, for whatever reason, tend to spend more money. I get emails from people now and then who have "sampled" my book from download sites. They paypal me a few bucks and compliment the work. I enjoy this, and don't believe in fighting piracy (all my books are DRM-free to make it easier on the end-user to do what they want with them). Still, it is a concern.

All this rambling is just to point out that I do support all devices and all users. And I've made decisions to assist them which have had a negative impact on my earnings. Amazon wanted I, ZOMBIE for a 90-day window. I wasn't going to do that to my tiny other fraction of readers who read on something else. We agreed to 30 days. And somehow, fighting my primary distribution network (and payer) in order to make life better for those who provide only a fraction of my ability to write for a living makes me a bad guy.

I don't see how I could possibly win.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #161
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
Funny name for a series of books, but I totally loved this dystopia fantasy series. Any fans out there for Wool?

Wool 1,2,3,4,5, is actually a series of short stories about a civilization living in an underground silo (all 141 floors), where bad behavior is punished by exile to the surface. Short reads, but totally fascinating.

I actually purchased the Wool 1 by mistake for 0.99 on Amazon.com, and what a good mistake that turned out to be.
Just started reading this last night.

Last edited by afv011; 08-03-2012 at 11:48 AM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #162
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I don't see how I could possibly win.
Keep churning out stuff like Wool and trust me... we'll all win.

Spoiler:
Too ass-kissy?? Oh well... the sentiment was sincere even if the delivery was slightly cheesy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #163
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Spoiler:
Too ass-kissy?? Oh well... the sentiment was sincere even if the delivery was slightly cheesy.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #164
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:

Spoiler:
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #165
The_Book_Doctor
Nameless Being

Quote:

Spoiler: