Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
SmellySkunk
SmellySkunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Column layout

My wife just got a Kindle 3 for her birthday and I've been using this excellent program to manage her books for it.

One thing I have noticed is that, everytime I launch Calibre, the Column layout reverts to default, all the columns I've hidden reappear and the order I put the columns in has changed. Is this supposed to happen or am I missing a preference setting somewhere.

Thanks for any help I cna get ^_^
SmellySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellySkunk View Post
My wife just got a Kindle 3 for her birthday and I've been using this excellent program to manage her books for it.

One thing I have noticed is that, everytime I launch Calibre, the Column layout reverts to default, all the columns I've hidden reappear and the order I put the columns in has changed. Is this supposed to happen or am I missing a preference setting somewhere.

Thanks for any help I cna get ^_^
It sounds like a Write Rights issue or some program is stomping the saved USER settings (location is OS dependent). What O/S and version?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no its not supposed to happen. You likely have a permission problem on the calibre config directory which is preventing calibre from saving the settings.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
SmellySkunk

Thanks for your replies guys, I've checked the permissions on the Calibre folder and I have full control.
Also, I've got some backup software running which monitors file changes and backups up anything that's new or changed, but I've disabled that and still have the same issues.

Possibly the file is set to write only, can you let me know which file I should be looking at?

For info;-

O/S Win 7 x64
Calibre v 0.7.50
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellySkunk View Post
Thanks for your replies guys, I've checked the permissions on the Calibre folder and I have full control.
Make sure you're looking at the correct folder. Go to Preferences - Miscellaneous and click the giant button labeled Open calibre configuration directory. The directory that opens is the directory you need to examine the write permissions on.

It should NOT be read only.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
SmellySkunk

Thanks for the info, I've check that folder and there are no files which are write protected, I also have Full Control Security Permissions for the complete folder and contents.

Columns still revert to default after closing and reopening

Thanks for you continued help though ^_^
Old 03-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Run calibre in debug mode that might give you a clue as to what the problem is
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
SmellySkunk

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay I've been away for a week.
I started Calibre in Debig mode and got this message

"Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 462, in database_changed
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 391, in restore_state
ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack
Started up in 0.56500005722"

Does that point to why my columns revert to default layout?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, you have an incorrect tweak for the sort columns at startup. Go to preference->tweaks and click restore defaults and then apply
Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
SmellySkunk

That fixed it, thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by SmellySkunk; 04-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.