Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
koskol
koskol began at the beginning.

Device: win7/android tablet
calibre, windows index, android and covers

Hello,
big thank you to Kovid and the calibre community for this brilliant tool – open source dev at its best.

Some questions/suggestions:

My ebook collection includes numerous pdf and djvu technical ebooks with their content indexed and searchable within windows explorer. This is a feature I use a lot and is one of the reasons I haven't so far moved to using only calibre for handling my ebooks. 1) Is it possible to incorporate the windows index in calibre's search facility? If yes, any plans on that?

2) Any plans to port calibre to Android?

I live and work away from home, and one of the things I miss is sitting in front of my bookshelves and looking for a book. ebooks are very practical (and ecological indeed) but a book is irreplaceable...
So the visual aspect of searching for a book is quite important to me. The coverflow browser is brilliant, much more practical than a bookshelf thumbnail view (which is really more appropriate for selling books), as it can accommodate more book covers in the same space, and the inclined coverpages give the impression of book side covers which is great for fast visual searching. But the black background always gives me the impression that I am browsing cd covers and not books :

3) Would it be possible to have a bookshelf image instead of the black background in the cover browser window?

Thanks for reading,
Kostas
koskol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you thought about using the Content server for accessing books when away from home?

I believe a port to Android, while technically feasible, is unlikely due to the large number of dependencies Calibre has on other packages that would need to be ported as well. For instance is there even a Python package available for Android at all?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koskol View Post
2) Any plans to port calibre to Android?
I don't think this is even possible, given the computing power of current Android devices. You can, however, use Calibre with ebook reading applications like Aldiko.

Quote:
3) Would it be possible to have a bookshelf image instead of the black background in the cover browser window?
From what I've heard, something like this is somewhere on some todo list, so it might get done sometime in the future If you really want it bad, you'll have to write it yourself, I'm afraid.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote