Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
leonardfrye
Enthusiast
leonardfrye began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW
Dead 505

My wife let the battery in her 505 run completely dead and now the reader is dead. I plugged it into the wall and charged it until the red light went out and when I try to start it up it goes to the Start Up screen and the light turns orange and stays steady. Then nothing. I tried to connect it to a PC and do a reset and and restart but the PC does not see the reader. I tried doing a reset and restart holding down the Mark and Volume Up buttons but no luck. Just goes to the Start Up page and the light by the power button is solid orange. Anybody have any suggestions? Other than using it for a Frisbee?
leonardfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Yes... plug it back in to the charger, ignore the red light and charge for 12-24 hours... try again
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If elcreative's suggestion doesn't work, try a hard reset, too. But I'm betting a long charge will fix it.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
leonardfrye
Enthusiast

I left the reader plugged in the wall charger all night and tried it again this morning. Still no luck ... I get the same thing ... I get the Start Up screen and the charge light turns orange and stays solid. Then nothing else. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardfrye View Post
I left the reader plugged in the wall charger all night and tried it again this morning. Still no luck ... I get the same thing ... I get the Start Up screen and the charge light turns orange and stays solid. Then nothing else. Any other suggestions?
A hard reset? I think you press the reset button, then turn it in and while turning it on, hold down the Bookmark and Volume + buttons.

When it eventually asks if you want to format, say Yes.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
leonardfrye
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
A hard reset? I think you press the reset button, then turn it in and while turning it on, hold down the Bookmark and Volume + buttons.

When it eventually asks if you want to format, say Yes.
I tried that and it gets to the Start Up page and the charging light turns orange and stays on solid, it does not blink like it used to, and then nothing ... no reformat prompt ... nothing ... it just stays on the Stat Up screen.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You try hooking it up to a computer and see if you can access the reader through it? If so, I would delete all the books off it and see if that solves it.

If not, perhaps you can see if the computer can detect the reader as a drive and format it? (Check with others to see if formatting through the computer is advisable from others. I've never tried it before)
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
leonardfrye
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
You try hooking it up to a computer and see if you can access the reader through it? If so, I would delete all the books off it and see if that solves it.

If not, perhaps you can see if the computer can detect the reader as a drive and format it? (Check with others to see if formatting through the computer is advisable from others. I've never tried it before)
I have tried connecting it to my PC both right after I turn the power switch on and after pushing the reset button on the back and before I press the power switch but no luck. Nothing different. I get the Start Up screen and a solid orange light. No USB connected screen. Windows does not see it as a device or removable drive so there is nothing to format. I think the next thing to do is go in the backyard in the dead of night and dig a hole ... maybe have someone over to say a few kind words ... and drown my sorrows in old wine.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
What was her battery life like before she drained it? Could be the battery is not holding sufficient charge to fully boot.

You might try changing the battery. You can pick one up off ebay for less than $20, and changing it out is a couple of screws and some care taken not to scratch your screen.

HTH
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With the AC adapter plugged in, try turning on the 505. If the problem is the battery, this may work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
leonardfrye
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With the AC adapter plugged in, try turning on the 505. If the problem is the battery, this may work.
The battery life was always great. Never had any issues with that. I tried the reset and restart with the AC cord plugged in. The red and orange light is always strong and bright and the screen looks fine. I think the chip that stores the firmware got messed up somehow. Or the firmware itself somehow got corrupted. It has been on the charger now for 48 hours and still no luck. Stuck on the Start Up screen and I get a solid orange light ... not a blinking or flickering one like I usually got. I think the partition that stores the firmware got hosed.