Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
xrm0
xrm0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
[tool] ExplodeImplodeEpub

I've been converting a book to ePub and found myself doing these steps very often:
  1. Uncompress epub
  2. Make modifications
  3. Compress epub
  4. Test it on a device
  5. Repeat 2-4 several times

For the uncompress/compress steps I've first used (un)zip, later changed to ePub Zip/Unzip AppleScript application but still wanted to do it with less keystrokes/clicks.

So I've written a small application to do that (ExplodeImplodeEpub). It runs on OS X, Windows and Linux.

You can find the download link and how to use it on http://libresque.com/software
xrm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have not yet had a chance to test this, but it does sound like a very useful tool. Thank you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just use something like 7zip that lets you edit/save files inside the archive directly. No uncompressing/recompressing at all.

I'll definitely check this out, though. Thanks for sharing!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
How does it compare to tweak_epub?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84692
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
xrm0

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
How does it compare to tweak_epub?
Didn't know it. Looks nice.
By reading tweak_epub's docs seems they are pretty similar. tweak_epub have some basic metadata editor, and it gives you a list of the files inside the epub. ExplodeImplodeEpub just presents you the uncompressed folder.
But it seems tweak_epub only runs on Windows, though.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrm0 View Post
By reading tweak_epub's docs seems they are pretty similar. tweak_epub have some basic metadata editor, and it gives you a list of the files inside the epub. ExplodeImplodeEpub just presents you the uncompressed folder.
The Tweak Book feature (used to be Tweak ePub) of calibre does something very similar: explode ... present you with the uncompressed folder for editing ... rebuild the archive when done. But it's nice to have stand-alone options.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It requires Java, though, which is a security issue. Java is not on my computer, or likely to be. But then I run Windows.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
xrm0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Tweak Book feature (used to be Tweak ePub) of calibre does something very similar: explode ... present you with the uncompressed folder for editing ... rebuild the archive when done. But it's nice to have stand-alone options.
That's the inspiration for ExplodeImplodeEpub! I wanted a small application which did just that.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
It requires Java, though, which is a security issue. Java is not on my computer, or likely to be. But then I run Windows.
Java is not allowed on computers in this house, for that very reason. DHS, in an unusual step, recently issued a warning about Java, triggered by yet another 0-day exploit, saying it would take a minimum of 2 years for Oracle to fix all the security problems.

And that seems strange to me, since the original idea IIRC was to provide a "sandbox" that would provide an environment for running programs in a secure and safe way. I guess that was lost sight of, years ago.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
derangedhermit
Addict

Quote:
It also lets you associate an external editor to be invoked to edit files - default is Notepad, I use Notepad++. It seems to be small, fast, and work well.

My usage so far indicates that it is a useful option for Windows users.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
xrm0

There's an update available:

v1.1
  • Fixed a bug when exploding epubs containing directories entries
  • __MACOSX/ added to the exclusions list

Download ExplodeImplodeEpub v1.1
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's an update available:

v1.1
  • Fixed a bug when exploding epubs containing directories entries
  • __MACOSX/ added to the exclusions list

Download ExplodeImplodeEpub v1.1
Don't forget to exclude .ds_store, thumbs.db and iTunesMetadata.plist.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
xrm0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't forget to exclude .ds_store, thumbs.db and iTunesMetadata.plist.
Thanks.
.DS_Store and Thumbs.db was already on the exclusions list (along with *.swp)

I don't know if iTunesMetadata.plist should be excluded always, maybe someone really wants to keep it on the epub? Perhaps I can add another option, to automatically remove iTunesMetada.plist from the epub (or let the user edit the exclusion list).
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
.DS_Store and Thumbs.db was already on the exclusions list (along with *.swp)

I don't know if iTunesMetadata.plist should be excluded always, maybe someone really wants to keep it on the epub? Perhaps I can add another option, to automatically remove iTunesMetada.plist from the epub (or let the user edit the exclusion list).
iTunesMetada.plist is not needed. It's put there by iTunes and should be removed whenever found. It causes more issues then it's worth.