Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #91
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
Kindle 3 is able to have its firmware upgraded now which mades the free internet a lot easier and more pleasant to use and on a par with the new kindles.

It can now recognise docx files and the books and documents that can be sent to it free of charge by using xxxxx@free.kindle.com remain in cloud storage when removed from your device. So they can be retrieved when needed.

One thing I like about the kindle is the ability to cursor to a word and look it up instantly in a dictionary or wikipedia.

The 3g works fine and is still free.

I have the old kobo as well but my kindle is just light years ahead.
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:30 AM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Are you proofreading for Project Gutenberg?
No; for the book upload forums here at MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #93
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I think the free browsing service of non-amazon stuff has been removed.
Ah just the new kindle won't do that.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...rowsing-kindle
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #94
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
But you can "take your Kindle library to another device". I put my Kindle books on my Literati and my Nook Color for reading in bed at night. And vice versa - I put my Kobo and B&N and Sony books on my Kindle.
By converting them, yes, which just adds to the hassle. epub is supported natively by most (non-Kindle) readers.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #95
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
By converting them, yes, which just adds to the hassle. epub is supported natively by most (non-Kindle) readers.
Not much of a hassle at all. No more than using ADE to get a library book, or a book from a store other than your reader's store.

And all my books go into Calibre anyway, no matter where they come from, so I can tweak the metadata if/when I want to, which is pretty often. Maybe 20 minutes of set up time a few months ago and it's all good to go. Conversions with Calibre are dead simple...you're making it out to be much more of a hassle than it actually is.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #96
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only for the small percentage of people who live in the USA. Kindle library books are not currently available elsewhere.
Didn't know that, though one can only assume it wont be long till this is resolved for all users/parts of the world.

@masona8: when you say "The 3g works fine and is still free." I assume you are talking about the Kindle 3?.. as we indicated above it was the new Kindle models that seem to have restrictions. The lookup for Kindle does look nice, but all the Kobos have dictionary’s too so I'm not sure about your light years ahead comment.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #97
Dee912
Dee912 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
The Kindle3 still has free 3G internet and is not restricted in any way
Dee912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #98
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee912 View Post
The Kindle3 still has free 3G internet and is not restricted in any way
Yes. But that is now the older model. Kindle 3/Keyboard. Whilst most people are moving too, or talking about the new model.

I also noticed that you have only commented in this thread. I do find it curious that you'd join this forum and only contribute in this thread in the Kobo sub-forum. Have you used a Kobo?

Last edited by molman; 11-18-2011 at 12:59 AM.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote