Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #286
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post

I presume you also own classics such as Wini ili Pu and the like.
I sure do. And its sequel, "Domus Anguli Puensis" ("The House at Pooh Corner").

Good stuff .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #287
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wonder if the books will be the UK versions (I hope so) or if folks in the US will have to buy the US versions.
what's the difference between them?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #288
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
what's the difference between them?
Different terminology/phraseology that is often used in the UK & Canada but have totally different meanings in the US. I heard an interview with Arthur Levine and they talked about things like jumpers, crackers and a couple of other ones that were amusing. It was years ago so I can't remember them all but they chose to change what JKR originally wrote and substitute it with something American readers were thought to understand better.

The biggest change was the title of the first book. Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone. They thought Sorcerer would have more intrigue for American audiences than Philosopher would.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #289
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Different terminology/phraseology that is often used in the UK & Canada but have totally different meanings in the US. I heard an interview with Arthur Levine and they talked about things like jumpers, crackers and a couple of other ones that were amusing. It was years ago so I can't remember them all but they chose to change what JKR originally wrote and substitute it with something American readers were thought to understand better.

The biggest change was the title of the first book. Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone. They thought Sorcerer would have more intrigue for American audiences than Philosopher would.
Interesting. Is this sort of practice common with UK/US edition books?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #290
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Title changes are common, often for copyright reasons, but rewrites of this form are thankfully rare. The changes are pretty arbitrary, though; eg references to "Guy Fawkes Night" remain - would the typical American teenager know what that was?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #291
OtterBooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Title changes are common, often for copyright reasons, but rewrites of this form are thankfully rare. The changes are pretty arbitrary, though; eg references to "Guy Fawkes Night" remain - would the typical American teenager know what that was?
The typical American teenager may not know what it was, but may be encouraged to find out; hence, one of the values of reading. But if a book is an assembly line entertainment product tailored for maximum sales, then such value is of little importance.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #292
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If they've seen "V for Vendetta," they may claim to know that Agent Smith put on a mask and blew stuff up, and that's what it's all about.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #293
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I have fond memories of listening to the Hitchhiker books (Douglas Adams) as a child and wondering what a "biro" was.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #294
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I have fond memories of listening to the Hitchhiker books (Douglas Adams) as a child and wondering what a "biro" was.
I have learned a lot of the way the UKisms. And if I need to know more, I just ask my wife. So, I'm all set.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #295
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I remember listen to Hitchhiker's and thinking a zebra crossing was something to do with migrating animals.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #296
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What do you call them? It had never crossed my mind that they might be called anything other than zebra crossings .
Old 06-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #297
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
its boring harry - crosswalks .
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:57 AM   #298
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
its boring harry - crosswalks .
Have to admit I laughed.

Even though we use British English in schools, many phrases from American English have made their way here, and right now we use them interchangeably (just don't litter 'z' and 's' in the same piece of writing). I bought my books based on the origins of the author and not my preference, feel that the essence of language would be lost. I'm talking about modern authors, mind you.

I may not notice the language difference if I'm reading the American version of Harry Potter, but I'll be uncomfortable knowing it. If there's a phrase I don't understand (rare), I'll just google it or deduce using magical powers that be.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #299
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I read the first Potter book in French translation. It was fun seeing how they translated the names. Similarly, the Asterix books are widely translated. I bought them originally to improve my French (and because I enjoy them) and in the English versions the names are different. So the dog, Idéfix, becomes Dogmatix in English.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #300
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I remember listen to Hitchhiker's and thinking a zebra crossing was something to do with migrating animals.
You weren't the only one!! Until Dulin said "cross walks" just now, I thought... never mind.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote