Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #61
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Well, dammitall, I went ahead and flashed my 505 anyway. And it worked fine. Now I have the excellent clock display back,and uniform menu fonts.Plus it's Russified as a bonus.(I previously Russified my 500 for a gift--I don't read Russian.)
Ha!
You are a brave one!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #62
smaulz
smaulz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Yup, just did mine too. Thanks for being the guinea pig DrMoze & maggotb0y! I definitely didn't want to be the first one to try it.
smaulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #63
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Did mine at lunchtime too, as I was intrigued what the alternative icons & clock would look like - Photo attatched in case anyone else is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flashed-505.jpg
Views:	1446
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	10971  
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Did mine at lunchtime too, as I was intrigued what the alternative icons & clock would look like - Photo attatched in case anyone else is interested.
I did mine as well. Looks good now and I like the smaller menu font. Glad to have that back. Plus, I did miss the clock.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #65
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Did you guys use the sd flash 1.2 or hack builder?
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used the flash that was part of the Russhify package and all I did was replace the image with the one for the icons, menu font, and clock. Flashing took like 30 seconds.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #67
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same thing here - the flasher (here) identifies itself as "PRS-505 flasher 1.3 by igorsk", and I also replaced the included image with this one, giving me alternative icons, a unified menu font, and the clock. (Other combinations available - see the translated thread.)

Then...
  1. Unpack the contents of the archive.
  2. (Optional) Replace the incuded 'new_opt.img' with an alternative one. (Renaming the new one to 'new_opt.img'.)
  3. Copy the exploded archive to the root of a SD card. (I'd reformatted mine to FAT/FAT16 - may not be required.)
  4. Check you have a "/tmp" folder in the root of the Reader when viewed as a USB device, (create one if you haven't,) then unmount the reader.
  5. Plug the flash card into the PRS-505
  6. Press 6
  7. Wait for the PRS-505 to report "Reflashing was successful. Rebooting."
  8. Take the flash card out of the PRS-505
  9. Wait for the unit to reboot
  10. Enjoy
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #68
sdoane57
sdoane57 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Great Improvement!

Thanks to gwynevans for the step by step instructions AND links to the files. I got up the nerve and tried it. Love it. Makes an already great product even better.
sdoane57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #69
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
It certainly sounds simple enough. I read the instructions, downloaded the files, unzipped to a SD flash, renamed the img file and copied it over the old file.
Now I'm ready to flash my 505 and...no guts...I'm chicken... do I really want to do this?
What does "Russhify" mean?
Will displaying the clock use up the battery?
Does the 505 operate just as fast or just as slow?
Will future updates by Sony be affected?
Is there a way to de-flash - return the old files?
What use is there for a 505 brick?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only hack I want next but will wait till the next firware is to replace Dutch Roman BT with Times New Roman.
What makes you believe that Sony are going to switch to a different font supplier, Jon?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #71
gwynevans
Wizzard

> do I really want to do this?

Well, it took me a while or so to decide whether to or not...

> What does "Russhify" mean?

Not sure - Probably allow it to show Russian chars if you add Russian books, but there's no effect if you stick to the normal English books/chars.

> Will displaying the clock use up the battery?

No, it only gets updated when you turn the page - it can be switched off too, if not wanted.

> Does the 505 operate just as fast or just as slow?

Exactly the same as far as I can tell.

> Will future updates by Sony be affected?

Would expect them to reset it, so you'll be left to wait for an updated image before you can get the 'improved' UI back.

> Is there a way to de-flash - return the old files?

I think the basic 'new_obj.img' in the flash kit is the closest to the old files, but I'm not sure if anyone's asked got (or asked for) the original image.

> What use is there for a 505 brick?

We thought igorsk had bricked his, but he managed to find what had changed from the 500 to the 505 and produce this flasher & get working again.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #72
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What makes you believe that Sony are going to switch to a different font supplier, Jon?
I'd guess that once there's a firmware update, it'll be safer to use a HackBuilder to create your own images, as there'll be an 'official' method of recovery then - at the moment, they're all pre-prepared images for the 505.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not thinking they will switch fonts. I just want to do it. I want to see if Times new Roman will look better. It definately looks better using eBook Library's emulator. The hinting built into Times New Roman does work better for sure.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'd guess that once there's a firmware update, it'll be safer to use a HackBuilder to create your own images, as there'll be an 'official' method of recovery then - at the moment, they're all pre-prepared images for the 505.
Good point - thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does anyone know how to unpack an IMG file so we can see how they are all made?

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader