Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Endgadget - BN Phasing Out 3G

hmmmm - looks like they are letting stock run out. I wonder if the Pearl screen version hinted at here will have a 3G or if they will stick with 2 models - WiFi and then Color?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/e...cites-lack-of/
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
They'll just stick with 2 models. The extra cost of the 3G model (over the WiFi-only version) was virtually impossible to justify since the only thing that you could do over 3G was buy books.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I'm not sure I've ever bought anything via 3g on my 3G Nook.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I've only downloaded from my Cloud....and that was with my phone as a wifi hot spot....Wifi is just too abundant to justify the extra price
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #5
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
They'll just stick with 2 models. The extra cost of the 3G model (over the WiFi-only version) was virtually impossible to justify since the only thing that you could do over 3G was buy books.
Yes.

I think 3G was only on there to be like the Kindle - so that even older folks that aren't good at technology could buy books.

I think they've decided either that that sliver of the market is so small it isn't worth catering to, or they figure people will come into the store and buy books on the instore wifi (where the wifi should work almost automagically). They want the foot traffic anyway.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I'm not sure I've ever bought anything via 3g on my 3G Nook.
I thought so in the past as well. But now, comparing my Kindle DX "global" to the former one, which only did have 3G in the US, I wouldn't want to miss 3G. Of course it makes more sense on a full-blown tablet, for using GPS and the likes. But even for only buying books or checking Wikipedia, I find it extremely convenient.
Given the harsh competition from tablets, in my opinion B&N, Amazon and the likes shouldn't reduce features of their dedicated readers.

I wouldn't buy a tablet without 3G anymore. Even did exchange my WiFi only iPad. So why should I go for a WiFi only dedicated reader?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Of course it makes more sense on a full-blown tablet, for using GPS and the likes.
To some people; not all people. For me, 3G makes no sense whatsoever. Why do I need instantaneous 24/7 net coverage? I think it's ridiculous to put GPS and front-facing cams in a tablet. It's too big.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
To some people; not all people. For me, 3G makes no sense whatsoever. Why do I need instantaneous 24/7 net coverage? I think it's ridiculous to put GPS and front-facing cams in a tablet. It's too big.
Yeah. I don't need the internet that badly. I like being able to tether to a cellphone in a pinch, but I use that about once or twice a month, tops.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
To some people; not all people. For me, 3G makes no sense whatsoever. Why do I need instantaneous 24/7 net coverage?
I'm guessing you do not own a 3g reading device. I say this because I too felt the same way until I bought a kindle 2. I didn't care for the 3g feature when i got it. It ended up being a great feature. I have access to ebooks and the internet when i need it. True for folks who read fiction it may not be so important but for folks who read non fiction instant lookup to wiki or the net is very important.

I read more out on the road than at home, that comes from being a dad.

So while wifi is good enough for you it's not for me. A company should have choices, b&n has just reduced their portfolio.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
With the number of wifi hotspots out there I think BN will be fine with a WiFi only option. The cost of covering the 3G plan is probably reasonably high and I would guess most people are fine with the WiFi option.

The 3G is great if you travel a fair amount or live in areas without WiFi hotspots.

Keep in mind that 99% of the Sony users love their devices sans any wireless and get annoyed when you mention adding wireless to their device. I would also guess that BN took a good hard look at the sales numbers and noticed that a larger percentage of their sales were WiFi only devices.

I have a feeling that BN will be just fine.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I have a Kindle 3 Wifi, rather than a Nook, but I just wanted to throw my hat into the "Who needs 3G?" ring.

When I was using the Kindle 1, I mostly bought books when I was home, where I have Wifi, and browsing on it was mostly a novelty.

Wifi is anything but ubiquitous in my area, so if I felt the need to buy e-books outside of my home, I'd go 3G. But that's yet to happen for me.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
They are dropping it because is not selling well, obvious. I don't see, for instance, Kindle dropping the 3G models soon, because is more an international device. Nook 3G was in direct response to Amazon.

3G is really useful, especially when traveling. What's happening is that USA or Europe customers see wifi as normal, but unless you have not traveled to South America you can't understand how useful 3G would be; wifi is just starting there. 3G is also more secure, even when buying books.

After buying my Galaxy Tab I don't see myself without 3G access anymore. Even with the basic Kindle 3 browser, I can check my emails or bank accounts if I don't have wifi access but 3G.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm guessing you do not own a 3g reading device. I say this because I too felt the same way until I bought a kindle 2. I didn't care for the 3g feature when i got it. It ended up being a great feature. I have access to ebooks and the internet when i need it. True for folks who read fiction it may not be so important but for folks who read non fiction instant lookup to wiki or the net is very important.
That's right, nary a one. No 3G phone, tablet, pocket PC, ereader, etc. The only net connected device I carry on a semi-regular basis (3-4x per month) is an iPod touch and I've yet to encounter an instance where I needed instantaneous net access. I live in a large urban metro area and not only is WiFi available all over the place, it's available in a matter of minutes.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the one good thing about this is for potential ereader buyers is I would expect to see some fantastic sales out on the Nook 3G, if in fact this rumor is true.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Yeah - and I think that is a good distinction. The nook is still for all intents not an International device. In fact, at the inception one of their most advertised features was "Bring you nook to our store" and .... While Amazon makes a pretty big deal over the ability of the Kindle to travel to and fro and as long as you are within their area have a book within seconds.

I seldom use the 3G function of my Kindle. As long as I'm in my home area, I don't even turn Whispersync on. I download to computer, load into Calibre and transfer via USB.

BUT, when I travel I 3G and personally I think it has been worth the $50.

I suspect that the WiFi Kindle has sold very well though considering some of the stock problems they had in December.

I'll be interested to see if the Nook 2 has a 3G. One thing Barnes and Noble seems to have done right so far is not just copy the Kindle. They try to differentiate and it could be that they are going to leave that 3G market to Amazon.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote