Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
UniquelyMoi
UniquelyMoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR 600
Slow to Shut Down, Slow to Start

When I first started using my Sony, when I would slide the power bar to turn it on or off, the ereader would either start or turn off immediately, no problems. For some reason though, now I have to slide the power bar multiple times both to start it and turn it off.

Also, now when I try to turn it off, rather than just shutting down, I get a message asking, "Are you sure you want to shut down this device?" which I never got before. And if I choose "no," the reader stays on. If I choose yes, I get an exclamation point while it shuts down. Then when I try to start it, rather than just turning on I get another message "Reader Opening."

Sometimes when I get it turned on and select the book I want, I'll use the page forward button to turn the page and the reader will shut down.

I've tried resetting it several times, and it doesn't help. I've charged with both a USB/computer charger and a wall charger.

I'm totally baffled and have no idea how to fix it.

Oh, I only have about 100 books on it, so that's not part of the problem.

I'd sure appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance!
UniquelyMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquelyMoi View Post
When I first started using my Sony, when I would slide the power bar to turn it on or off, the ereader would either start or turn off immediately, no problems. For some reason though, now I have to slide the power bar multiple times both to start it and turn it off.!
You are putting it into sleep mode rather than turning it off. Its done by just sliding it across

Quote:
Also, now when I try to turn it off, rather than just shutting down, I get a message asking, "Are you sure you want to shut down this device?" which I never got before. And if I choose "no," the reader stays on. If I choose yes, I get an exclamation point while it shuts down. Then when I try to start it, rather than just turning on I get another message "Reader Opening.".!
That is turning it off and happens when you slide it across and hold it for a few seconds. That is normal

Quote:
Sometimes when I get it turned on and select the book I want, I'll use the page forward button to turn the page and the reader will shut down.
Not sure why thats happening but someone will probably come on who has experienced that before
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You might also check the settings and see what Shutdown is configured to do...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
You are putting it into sleep mode rather than turning it off. Its done by just sliding it across
So what you're saying is that it no longer goes into sleep mode, and if I can get it into sleep mode, it doesn't want to "wake up." Thank you for that information. It helps narrow down the problem!

Quote:
Not sure why thats happening but someone will probably come on who has experienced that before
Thank you, I sure hope so!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You might also check the settings and see what Shutdown is configured to do...
I checked the settings on the Sony itself, but I don't recall seeing anything that can be changed. Do you mean like how on a computer you can program the power button to either turn off the computer or just go into sleep mode when you push the button?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
So what you're saying is that it no longer goes into sleep mode, and if I can get it into sleep mode, it doesn't want to "wake up." Thank you for that information. It helps narrow down the problem!
I think you misunderstood. When you said that you used to be able to turn it off and on right away you wasnt actually turning it off. You were putting it into sleep mode. When you started getting the messages about "are you sure that you wanted to turn off the device" etc that is turning off the device and that will take a little time to start up again.
To just put it in sleep mode just quickly slide and release and the screen should go blank until you slide and release again.

ON the reader turning it self off when you try to turn a page can I ask how you are charging the reader ie via USB or mains charging?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not quite... was thinking of Settings/System Management/Power Management but realised that relates to inactivity time lag...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. When you said that you used to be able to turn it off and on right away you wasnt actually turning it off. You were putting it into sleep mode. When you started getting the messages about "are you sure that you wanted to turn off the device" etc that is turning off the device and that will take a little time to start up again.
To just put it in sleep mode just quickly slide and release and the screen should go blank until you slide and release again.

ON the reader turning it self off when you try to turn a page can I ask how you are charging the reader ie via USB or mains charging?
No, I understood - I was explaining that if what you're saying is the case, then what is happening is that when I quickly slide the bar over, and it doesn't turn off, it's actually NOT going into sleep mode anymore, like it used to. Instead, the page that I was on is still showing.

Regarding it turning itself off after turning a page, that always happens after I've had to try to restart multiple times, then when it finally loads the page, as soon as I hit the page forward button, it shuts off (or maybe goes into sleep mode.)

I've always charged the reader with the USB cable. It didn't come with a wall charger, and at one point I even called Sony to ask if I needed to buy one and was told it wasn't necessary. After researching this particular issue I'm having, I've since learned that many people feel it is better to use a wall charger, so I ordered one and it should be here soon.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Not quite... was thinking of Settings/System Management/Power Management but realised that relates to inactivity time lag...
Are you saying that there's no reason to check those settings now?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Kiwimick
Addict

No worries my mistake.

Yeah as you can tell its definitely better to charge via mains. If you leave it on USB charging when the computer goes to "sleep" it actually starts to discharge your Reader.

I dont use USB to charge at all. Hope everything works out for you
Old 11-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
UniquelyMoi

Quote:
No worries my mistake.

Yeah as you can tell its definitely better to charge via mains. If you leave it on USB charging when the computer goes to "sleep" it actually starts to discharge your Reader.

I dont use USB to charge at all. Hope everything works out for you
Fortunately, I've never had the computer turn off or go into sleep with the reader charging.

I'm surprised that so many people feel that charging at the wall helps reduce problems with the reader. And that Sony told me it wasn't necessary.

Some people had said that after allowing their Sony battery to get low, then charging at the wall, their problems stopped. I hope I have the same results.

Thanks for your help, Kiwimick!

Tags
won't shut down, won't start up