Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #46
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Some of the reviews mention that the original title was Bid Time Return. Perhaps it can be found under that name?

I found the audio book (as Somewhere in Time) is available on Hoopla. With a very superficial look, it seems similar to Jack Finney's Time and Again.
Yes, you're right that it is also known as Bid Time Return. I didn't know that. I still can't find it in ebook here in the UK, unfortunately.

From the plot description of Time and Again on Wikipedia it doesn't sound very similar, though it does look worth a try, so I've added it to my TBRL, thanks.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks issybird. As I can't find it in the UK at all (apart from the Audiobook or pbook), and as it is quite expensive in the US, I don't think I can really nominate it.
Somewhere in Time is not available as an eBook in the UK.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just in case, I'd like to say that people shouldn't feel intimidated and that a host of international links are required to post a nomination. A couple of local-to-you links are sufficient. We're all big kids and can check our own special places - and it's impossible to be exhaustive anyway!
But it's trivial to check Amazon, Kobo, and Overdrive. I did so in not much time at all.

Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
Amazon.com.au
Amazon.co.uk
Kobo.com
Kobo.com <-- Change the flag to whatever country you are checking
Overdrive.com <-- search for the title and author and post the link you get if you get results. We can check wich one is for the country we are in.

It's that easy.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Some of the reviews mention that the original title was Bid Time Return. Perhaps it can be found under that name?

I found the audio book (as Somewhere in Time) is available on Hoopla. With a very superficial look, it seems similar to Jack Finney's Time and Again.
Still no eBook in the UK.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #50
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it's trivial to check Amazon, Kobo, and Overdrive. I did so in not much time at all.

Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
Amazon.com.au
Amazon.co.uk
Kobo.com
Overdrive.com <-- search for the title and author and post the link you get if you get results. We can check wich one is for the country we are in.

It's that easy.
IT may be trivial for you Jon, but it isn’t for some of the rest of us. I have serious problems with Amazon for example, as I don’t choose to use it and am therefore not able to find my way round it. Kobo is fine, so I’m certainly prepared to check there. I don’t have Overdrive.

Personally, I find issybird’s suggestion sensible as everyone has their own favourite places to look, including the local library in my case at least.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 03-04-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #51
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
Amazon.com.au
Amazon.co.uk
Kobo.com

It's that easy.
No, it is not that easy.

Amazon.com very definitely gives different result depending on where you browse from (it recognises the general location of the IP address being used to browse the site and alters its content accordingly). The other sites also do this to a greater or lesser extent.

The only way to (reasonably) reliably check availability is to pretend to be calling from the country in question. This can be achieved via various VPN services - most of the paid versions let you specify where you want to pretend to be calling from. I forgot to do this for my first nomination and so got fooled by Amazon.com just as you have been recommending. If necessary I can send you screen dumps in a private message as proof of the difference ... or you could just believe me.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:56 PM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Members shouldn't feel as if they have to provide exhaustive links. A couple are handy if only to check local price, but if more are too much of a nuisance don't let that keep you from nominating the perfect title.

And with that, let's get back to nominations!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 AM   #53
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I would like to nominate Their Finest, by Lissa Evans--original title is Their Finest Hour and a Half, which makes it a time-ly selection. The original title references a Winston Churchill speech about Dunkirk; the hour and a half is the length of a propaganda movie about Dunkirk being made to boost British morale during WWII, which is the subject of the book.

Quote:
From the author of the acclaimed Crooked Heart comes another “smart, funny, ingenious, revealing tale of London life during the Second World War” (The Independent)—longlisted for the Orange Prize upon its original publication in England.

It is 1940. France has fallen, and only a narrow strip of sea lies between Great Britain and invasion. The war could go either way and everyone must do their bit. Young copy writer Catrin Cole is drafted into the Ministry of Information to help “write women” into propaganda films—something that the men aren’t very good at.

She is quickly seconded to the Ministry’s latest endeavor: a heart-warming tale of bravery and rescue at Dunkirk. It’s all completely fabricated, of course, but what does that matter when the nation’s morale is at stake? Since call-up has stripped the industry of its brightest and best, it is the callow, the jaded and the utterly unsuitable who must make up the numbers: Ambrose Hilliard, third most popular British film-star of 1924; Edith Beadmore, Madame Tussauds wardrobe assistant turned costumier; and Arthur Frith, whose peacetime job as a catering manager has not really prepared him for his sudden, unexpected elevation to Special Military Advisor.

Now in a serious world, in a nation under siege, they must all swallow their mutual distaste, ill-will, and mistrust to unite for the common good, for King and Country, and—in one case—for better or worse....

“Evans displays a fine eye for detail and for the absurdities involved in filming. She also brilliantly evokes the disruption and dangers of wartime London. This funny, heart-warming and beautifully crafted novel is a must-read.”—Daily Mail (London)

It's also available in Overdrive and at Scribd.
Catlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:34 AM   #54
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And with that, let's get back to nominations!
What she said!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 AM   #55
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would like to nominate Their Finest, by Lissa Evans--original title is Their Finest Hour and a Half, which makes it a time-ly selection. The original title references a Winston Churchill speech about Dunkirk; the hour and a half is the length of a propaganda movie about Dunkirk being made to boost British morale during WWII, which is the subject of the book.
Sounds interesting. I'm still hanging on to my last ticket, waiting to see what comes over the transom.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found the audio book (as Somewhere in Time) is available on Hoopla.
Thanks for that! I don't always think to check Hoopla. I wish I liked the Hoopla audio player better, but I can live with it for free listens.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #57
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'd like to nominate Connie Willis' time travel novel The Doomsday Book. The book is the first in a series, but the novels are unconnected save for a few characters. This novel may be read completely as a standalone with no cliffhangers or leftovers. From the description:

Quote:
For Kivrin, preparing an on-site study of one of the deadliest eras in humanity's history was as simple as receiving inoculations against the diseases of the fourteenth century and inventing an alibi for a woman traveling alone. For her instructors in the twenty-first century, it meant painstaking calculations and careful monitoring of the rendezvous location where Kivrin would be received.

But a crisis strangely linking past and future strands Kivrin in a bygone age as her fellows try desperately to rescue her. In a time of superstition and fear, Kivrin--barely of age herself--finds she has become an unlikely angel of hope during one of history's darkest hours.
The ebook can be found here:
Amazon - 8.99
Kobo - 8.99
Google - 8.99
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'd like to nominate Connie Willis' time travel novel The Doomsday Book. The book is the first in a series, but the novels are unconnected save for a few characters. This novel may be read completely as a standalone with no cliffhangers or leftovers.
Having read this and the next book in the series, I disagree that the novels are unconnected. But I do agree that it could be read without the need to read any of the others. But the others are good. So if you read and like this, you'll like the others. Actually, the second book is even better.

But, there's one problem here. We've already read this for the Book Club.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'd like to nominate Connie Willis' time travel novel The Doomsday Book.
Jon's right; I'm afraid this is ineligible, having been the selection in August, 2013.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'd like to nominate Making History by Stephen Fry.

Quote:
Stephen Fry tackles alternate history, asking: What if Hitler had never been born?

Michael Young is a graduate student at Cambridge who is completing his dissertation on the early life of Adolf Hitler. Leo Zuckerman is an aging German physicist and Holocaust survivor. Together they idealistically embark on an experiment to change the course of history. And with their success is launched a brave new world that is in some ways better than ours—but in most ways even worse.
Overdrive
RBdigital

Kobo UK
Kobo US
Kobo CA
Kobo AU

Amazon UK
Amazon US
Amazon CA
Amazon AU

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-05-2018 at 11:16 AM.