Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
No need for kepub, a proprietary format. The kobo resizes epubs fonts fine and allows built in or publisher fonts. If you can't resize it's due to the epub css.
Pocket may be convenient, but it's inflexible and a privacy issue. Better to copy & paste web pages into WP (Libre Office Writer is free), save as docx and convert with calibre. Admittedly a problem on a tablet.
Minor nit. Kepub is not quite a proprietary format--adding multiple spans to an epub document does not make it proprietary. For me, it's main use is selecting whether I use an epub2 renderer with Adobe DRM capability (RMSDK) or an epub3 renderer with Kobo's proprietary DRM capability.

Of course, I could "enjoy" trying to decipher a Japanese document with it's mix of glyphs plus furigana (any language that needs a way to specify pronunciation of some words is getting way too complex, IMNSHO) on a reading system that does not support the needed text direction and rendering capabilities.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Did I read that you can rename the epub and this makes the Kobo use the kepub rendering engine?
is it filename.kepub.epub or filename.epub.kepub or something else?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2019, 05:20 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Naming the book as "filename.kepub.epub" will mean the device treats a sideloaded book as a kepub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Thanks david,
So then images should resize?

That's what I tried with one and saw no difference in text rendering. The particular novel didn't have any images.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In a kepub, double tapping the image will open it in an image viewer. That supports zooming.
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #36
Oolong
Enthusiast
Oolong began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Any idea why Kobo standardly shows images MUCH smaller than any publisher would print them (usually too small to read any text, for example)?
Oolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 AM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolong View Post
Any idea why Kobo standardly shows images MUCH smaller than any publisher would print them (usually too small to read any text, for example)?
I'd need to see some samples, but it usually is because that is what it was told to do.

Most likely, the image was sized for a lower resolution screen. Then the code is just an image tag with styles that set the display size to the size of the image. If a 400x400 image is displayed like that on a 800x600 resolution screen, it will cover half the screens height and two-thirds of the width. Or about a third of the area of the screen. But on the Aura H2O, which has a screen resolution of 1430x1080, that same image is about a quarter for screens height and two-fifths of the width. Which is about a tenth of the area.*

I have seen a few books with decent size images, but the code doesn't let them size properly. But, overall, the Kobo devices do a good job of respecting the code in the books. And it does for the image display.

* Hopefully, I have the maths right. I'm sure someone will tell me if I didn't. With glee

Tags
calibre, fonts, kobo, kobo aura h2o