Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
International alternatives to Fire 7, NOOK Tablet 7", Fire HD 10, NOOK Tablet 10.1"?

Fire 7, from $50

NOOK Tablet 7"
, from $50

Fire HD 10, from $150

NOOK Tablet 10.1", from $130

Amazon fire devices are available in a handful of countries. Nook devices are available in the United States only. Me, like most people in the world do not reside in any of these handful of countries. I have friends in Amazon countries, but still it's a little more cumbersome to acquire gadgets through them. Interestingly, Amazon sells their e-book readers to most anyone in any country, but not their tablets.

Many people are into 8" tablets these days, but I'm still more into the 7" and 10" sizes, respectively. Interestingly Barnes & Noble gets my attitude: They offer a 7" tablet and a 10' tablet, but not a 8" tablet. How do you like these cheap 7" tablets? Similar in size to most e-book readers and they don't weight much. For the their resolution seems to be OK for reading and basic video consumption. I mostly watch content from YouTube, so I don't have high demands in this sphere. How do you like these relatively affordable 10" tablets? They might be a little on the heavy side to handle, but if you overcome that, sure they are more immersive. I'm interested in these two categories of devices, separately. So please don't advise me whether I should get a 7" or a 10" tablet! I can decide on that issue.

The main question is, which brand to get and especially where shall I source it, ideally offering similar quality/price if I do not live in the handful of Amazon markets and the one Nook market? AliExpress is fine, especially if I can be sure the tablet won't send all my data to China, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Nook tablets are made by the Chinese company JingWah Digital as far as I know. I don't care much about the Google Play store; there is the Yalp Store.

Bonus question: How much utility (or productivity) do you get out if these more affordable, $100-150 tablets, compared to something like the basic, $330 iPad? Besides the Pencil. OK, this was the ad for the much more expensive iPad Pro, but you can easily imagine the cheap, $330 iPad to replace it in the ad. Sure, these Android devices in this price range are much simpler, but I'm curious.

Last edited by avid01; 02-15-2019 at 04:35 PM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If all you need are ebooks and videos, these should be more than fine (the Fire at least, don't have experience with Nooks). Their aspect ratio actually lends itself better for videos compared to the iPad's 4:3 AR.

That said, the iPad feels like a better middle ground between smartphone and laptop. I think Android devs have pretty much given up on Android tablets. At home, I rarely use my laptop anymore. Most of my personal computing is done on the iPad.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Apple apps tend to be significantly more polished than Android ones. Like ilovejedd, I find myself using my iPad as a laptop replacement a lot of the time, which I've never done with an Android tablet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks ilovejedd, HarryT! I wonder if anyone has something directly to the subject question: International alternatives to Fire 7, NOOK Tablet 7", Fire HD 10, NOOK Tablet 10.1"?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've had really good luck with Lenovo's line of tablets. Decent performance at a decent price.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote