Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #1
Ecou
Ecou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic
Kindle basic unavailable

I been trying to buy my first kindle in the canadian amazon store. It been saying unavailable for at least 3 weeks. Twice I saw it as available but because unavaible again within minutes.

I talked to support and they gave me a very unclear answer.

Are the discontinued or is a new model coming?
Ecou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It shows as available on amazon.com. Also the "Compare Kindle E-readers" table on that page shows all three models (Kindle, Paperwhite and Oasis).

I looked on amazon.ca and I also do not see the basic model listed and when I look at the Paperwhite the comparison chart only shows the Paperwhite and Oasis.

Perhaps you are right and it is a sign of it being phased out. It is the only 8th generation device left in the Kindle lineup.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-25-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Typo
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Ecou
Ecou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic
Hopefully they don’t get rid of the no backlight. I had bought a paper white but returned it because it was affecting my sleep quality when doing reading before bed time.
Ecou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecou View Post
I been trying to buy my first kindle in the canadian amazon store. It been saying unavailable for at least 3 weeks. Twice I saw it as available but because unavaible again within minutes.

I talked to support and they gave me a very unclear answer.

Are the discontinued or is a new model coming?
I recommend the new paperwhite. The kindle basic has no light and screen hard to read. at least for me
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I recommend the new paperwhite. The kindle basic has no light and screen hard to read. at least for me
In a reply made 30 minutes before yours, it seems this exactly why the OP wants a basic, having returned the PW for that very reason
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I find my basic perfectly readable, you just need good light (as you would with a print book). In good light a front light confers no particular benefit and one could argue is a detriment because it puts another layer in front of the text.

It would be nice if they would at least upgrade the screen to Carta 1024x768 display (I believe it is still using Pearl) for slightly better contrast. It is still the lightest Kindle in the lineup.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Hopefully they don’t get rid of the no backlight. I had bought a paper white but returned it because it was affecting my sleep quality when doing reading before bed time.
Note that unlike earlier models, it's possible to completely turn off the backlight on the PW4. I tested it before inside the closet. Both PW2 and PW3 still emitted light at the 0 setting while the PW4 was completely dark.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note that unlike earlier models, it's possible to completely turn off the backlight on the PW4. I tested it before inside the closet. Both PW2 and PW3 still emitted light at the 0 setting while the PW4 was completely dark.
Been a while since I looked at a PW, but I'm assuming the light guide layer means that even with the light off the screen on the basic probably actually looks clearer and has better contrast? Though I suppose the PW's have better resolution.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Check stores that sells them. Best Buy Target are 2 that I can think of. Both sell them In Stores in the US
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If your sleep is being affected, maybe take a look at one of the ereaders with blue light reduction. Kobo seem to make the cheapest range of these.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
I have a kindle basic (previous generation) and since I got a paperwhite on sale during black friday haven't used the basic. For night reading amazon recommends setting the light low. Chances are that you may've set it too bright.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201733330
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Been a while since I looked at a PW, but I'm assuming the light guide layer means that even with the light off the screen on the basic probably actually looks clearer and has better contrast? Though I suppose the PW's have better resolution.
Doesn't the Carta vs Pearl screen make more of a difference?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't the Carta vs Pearl screen make more of a difference?
My personal experience is that with the frontlight off, a Pearl screen actually looks better than a Carta (aside from resolution, of course). With the frontlight on, even at low levels, it's vice versa.

Note that I've only used and compared various Kindles, not Kobos or any other readers.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The Kobo Mini which I bought from an MR member (and gave to a friend) had amazing contrast: a very white background and clear text. It was totally unlit, which I thought a shame.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The Kobo Mini which I bought from an MR member (and gave to a friend) had amazing contrast: a very white background and clear text. It was totally unlit, which I thought a shame.
The same with my 2012 black basic Kindle (non-touchscreen, with buttons). Of course its low resolution started to bother me, after I got the Voyage.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote