Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Amazing deal

Can you believe it...all six volumes of Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire on Kindle for just $0.99!!! A thousand-plus page book in six volumes - the man's life work, as it happens - and on sale for just under a buck. Whether you'll be able to plough through the whole thing (Kindle or no Kindle) is another question, given that whatever talents as a writer Gibbon may have possessed, brevity certainly wasn't among them. Moreover, the customer reviews all mention some problems with the TOC. But hey, at the end of the day, for $0.99, I'm not expecting perfection...
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free on Gutenberg, all 6 vols in one package, with linked footnotes and double TOC. Works a treat in Firefox's EPubReader add-on.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
<snark> Ah, but with the Gutenberg edition, you don't get DRM restrictions, platform lock-in, and all the other wonderful bits Amazon charges you for! </snark>

On a more serious note, that's a book that's likely to remain on my TBR list forever. It's one of those books that I want to read -- that I feel an educated person should read -- but OMG, the sheer mass of it scares me.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Maybe you could do it in increments of 15 minutes per day, like that Harvard Classics series?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post
snip/
. But hey, at the end of the day, for $0.99, I'm not expecting perfection...
And Sooooo! much cheaper than sleeping tablets
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
On a more serious note, that's a book that's likely to remain on my TBR list forever. It's one of those books that I want to read -- that I feel an educated person should read -- but OMG, the sheer mass of it scares me.
Penguin do a very good single volume abridged version of it here.

As you say, it's a book everyone should read, but, on the other hand, many of Gibbons' ideas have been discredited by modern historians. The Penguin abridgement is very well done, and gives a good overview of what the whole thing is about.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Penguin do a very good single volume abridged version of it .

Excited...Disappointed.
Penguin doesn´t have a ebook version. I get an email from them every now and then and think some of their other classics are also available in ebook format.

Oh, well...ditto, Worldwalker.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
<snark> Ah, but with the Gutenberg edition, you don't get DRM restrictions, platform lock-in, and all the other wonderful bits Amazon charges you for! </snark>
Snark noted -- but this one looks to be DRM-free at Amazon (indicated by "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited").

I already have the PG version of Gibbon's opus in my library, so I'm not going to spend the 99 cents.

Last edited by bwaldron; 07-28-2010 at 01:41 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Another d-mn'd thick, square book! Always, scribble, scribble, scribble! Eh! Mr. Gibbon?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Penguin do a very good single volume abridged version of it here.

As you say, it's a book everyone should read, but, on the other hand, many of Gibbons' ideas have been discredited by modern historians. The Penguin abridgement is very well done, and gives a good overview of what the whole thing is about.
You definitely have to take Gibbons with a grain of salt. He let his personal prejudices and bias color his writing. He was particularly harsh on Gallienus, because he blamed him for the persecution of Christians put in place by his father Valerian. Gallienus was not a horrid emperor as put forth by Gibbons, but actually did quite well given the poor timing of his reign. Despite having to deal with plague and near-constant attacks from the barbarians he reigned and held the empire mainly together for 18 years.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
jasonfedelem
Zealot
jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasonfedelem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen2
If you dig a little deeper, there are free editions availble thru Amazon. I'm 48% of the way thru book 1.

@ATDrake: I'm going about 15 minutes a day. There's no deadline on this

@HarryT/Marcy: everyone has bias, everyone makes mistakes. Don't implicitly trust everything you read.
jasonfedelem is offline   Reply With Quote