Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
jaeneva
jaeneva began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Help! Customize output file name? OPF files?

Hi, I just downloaded calibre the other day, and have questions, I've searched, but haven't found it yet (realizing it might be buried somewhere I haven't looked, or I could be blind from all the reading).

First:

When it converts the files from pdf to ebook format, it adds a number to the end of every book file name. Is there a way to make a change so it won't do this?

The Caterpillar's Question - Anthony, Piers & Farmer, Philip Jose_42.epub

It just looks rather... odd, this is a library being shared by mulitple people, and the 42 has absolutely no relation to the book itself or reading it. I couldn't find a way to make this change in the preferences interface. I could manually go and change this, but I have thousands of books here...

Second:

When I tell it to "Save to Disk" through the calibre GUI interface, it saves everything to my network drive, where I want it, in the folders by author (which is great!) with file names based on the title (which is also great!... except for it numbering every book there...) BUT it also makes/saves an opf file. Is there a reason for this opf file? It doesn't exist on the computer where I'm actually doing the conversions before I save them to my network location, and I thought all the title/author stuff was saved in the meta data of the epub file anyway... is it safe to delete these opf files? They effectively double the number of files I have on the drive, and while they're only 1K it's more that has to be indexed.

Thanks much in advance!
jaeneva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Responding to your first point - when you add a book to the Calibre library it uses its own naming scheme for the stored books, and you cannot change this. You should treat books that have been imported into the calibre library as calibres own private database. The number is actually the internal database ID that the book is stored against in the calibre metadata database. The number is used to allow possible duplicates to be handled correctly. If you try and rename the books Calibre will no longer be able to find them.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
jaeneva

Is there any way to change it when I'm doing the 'save as' part? I'm mostly using Calibre to 'fix' the meta data in these books, since half of them were done 'incorrectly' and it causes them to be listed oddly on the reader.

Oh... and another... I read something about a 300K limit on epub format? That was a few months though, and it seems like the technology is just FLYING through changes, does this limit still hold? Am I better off leaving these books in pdf format?

Last edited by jaeneva; 04-11-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No - you cannot control the name that way either. It is likely that at some point in the future you will be able to do so as user defined file masks are on the development plans. However there is no timescale as to when that might happen.

There is definitely no limit like you mention in terms of file size for epub - the vast majority of mine are larger than that.

In terms of the best format to keep ebooks in, PDF is probably the worst format as it is extremely difficult to convert to other formats reliably.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
jaeneva

Awesome!

That just leaves the opf question

Now to install this on my husband's computer... are there any problems I should be 'aware' of if I'm using two calibres and one library database? He decided he wanted one after a week of not being able to steal mine away...

Joy joy!
Advert
Old 04-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeneva View Post
I read something about a 300K limit on epub format? That was a few months though, and it seems like the technology is just FLYING through changes, does this limit still hold?
An ePub is actually a ZIP of multiple files, and some of these files have size limits if you want to read them on a handheld device like the Sony Reader. There is no limit on the entire ePub's size though. Calibre automatically splits files that are too big if you tell it to target a PRS-505 ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeneva View Post
... are there any problems I should be 'aware' of if I'm using two calibres and one library database?
Only one of you can access the library at any given time.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
jaeneva

Thanks again!

I've one last question. I've gone over the python manual link for matching expressions (I'm no coding genius) and find myself stuck.

Several of my books have an initial in the name. For example: Kevin J. Anderson

I've ALMOST got this to what it needs to be, processing:

Star Wars - [Young Jedi Knights 01] - Heirs of the Force (by Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta).pdf

Currently processing to:

Title: Darkest Knight
Authors: Kevin J
Series: Star Wars - [Young Jedi Knights 05]

I'll be going in after to clean up the series because I'm entering in a bit more and it keeps it 'marked' in a way so I can differentiate between what I've finished editing, and what I still need to edit, so the Series is OK. However, as you can see, it's dropping everything in the author field after the .

Current expression is set to:

(?P<series>[^_]+) - ($P<title>.+) [(]*by*(?P<author>.+)

How do I fix the author so it pulls the entire Author instead of cutting off after the .?

Secondarily to that, I'm using *by* because some of them have "edited by" while others are just "by". Is there a way to set that up as an or, so it will look for "by" or "edited by"?
Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
(?P<author>[^)]+)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
jaeneva

It's still cutting off everything after the . I tried a . inside the [] and that didn't do it either...

Last edited by jaeneva; 04-12-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From The Because I Can Dept.

Code:
.*? - \[(?P<series>.*?) (?P<series_index>\d+)\] - (?P<title>.*?) \((by|edited by) (?P<authors>.*)\)
Old 04-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
jaeneva

I must fail at the copy/paste department, I put that into the expressions box, and I put the filename into the test box and I hit test and...

The title shows as the filename (cutting off after the J)

If I read this right, the thing 'should be' taking the Star Wars out of the series name, I actually want to keep the series as "Star Wars - Young Jedi Knights"

and I am running .5.6... so I must be doing something wrong
Old 04-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Works for me, I suggest aking it in stages. First put in just the series bit and see if that works then add th enxt bit and so on
Old 04-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
jaeneva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Works for me, I suggest aking it in stages. First put in just the series bit and see if that works then add th enxt bit and so on
Still no go with the author, it just cuts off after the . in the author's name. Completely ignoring the rest of it for now. I've attached a screenshot.

lol, maybe I'm just doomed to do this manually.

I LOVE this program though, it's gotta be wetware issues.... unless... would this have anything to do with running this in Vista? Everything's working perfectly so I assumed this would be too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	27506  

Last edited by jaeneva; 04-12-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

this is completely operating system independent, so it's not vista.

try adding \) to the end of the regexp in the screenshot