Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #31
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Make that Lord Valentine's Castle.

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #32
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Low brow entry

The Baen published Honorverse series by Weber. May not be great literature but definitely enjoyed it. Of course, all of my degrees are in engineering so what do I know about great literature except that some of it really helps me go to sleep.

Now take a second to smile at us poor country boys before you respond.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #33
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
All 5 parts of the Hitch Hikers Guide. It's fairly hefty, and it just makes sense to have it on an electronic decide.
I don't know if something like Pratchett's 'The Last Hero' would look good on an e-reader, but it was too heavy to keep holding up in the bath. Have requested a bath caddy for my birthday for other such tomes.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #34
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Epic books I have as ebooks, which make reading them a lot easier, include George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series, Peter Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy, Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. Oh, and "Moby Dick". Epic books I'd *like* to have as ebooks but which aren't available: "The Lord of the Rings" of course, Michael Scott Rohan's "Winter of the World" trilogy, Guy Gavriel Kay's "Fionavar Tapestry", Mary Gentle's "Ash", "Golden Witchbreed/Ancient Light" and "White Crow" books, and the collected works of Michael Moorcock.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #35
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima_dat View Post
I'll start:
Aztec by Gary Jennings
This book is a cheap knock off of a far better book

The Luck of Huemac by Daniel Peters
http://www.amazon.com/Luck-Huemac-Da.../dp/0394513134

It's out of print but there are still many used copies floating around.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #36
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This book is a cheap knock off of a far better book

The Luck of Huemac by Daniel Peters
http://www.amazon.com/Luck-Huemac-Da.../dp/0394513134

It's out of print but there are still many used copies floating around.
Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #37
Basqueman
Basqueman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. A continuous epic spanning 20 volumes starting with Master and Commander.

The Stand by Stephen King
Basqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #38
Basqueman
Basqueman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
[QUOTE=jwhayn;197185]The Baen published Honorverse series by Weber. May not be great literature but definitely enjoyed it. Of course, all of my degrees are in engineering so what do I know about great literature except that some of it really helps me go to sleep.

The Honor Harrington series is great and is a good entertaining read....I loved it! Anything that allows me to escape from the daily grind is fine literature to me!!
Basqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #39
Bytor
Bytor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Not as High Falutin' as some mentioned, but I would agree with those listing Lonesome Dove. Wish I could put the book on my Kindle just to bookmark the chapter where Augustus bakes the cathead biscuits. Mmm Mmm. Good eatin' and good readin'.
Bytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #40
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
war and peace,
a short sweet love story
of one for their country
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #41
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Just to throw out another one, which is not an epic novel, but the epic history of the United States: A Patriot's History of the United States. A HUGE book, which I am about 1/3 way through in the ebook format from booksonboard.com. Love It!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #42
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
A couple people have already mentioned Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, but it is probably my favorite epic, so it gets mentioned again. I can't wait until his next book comes out - which I will be reading on my Kindle.

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged is another mammoth book that I enjoyed.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #43
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

Hi. I'm registered here for a long time (3+ years) but this is actually my first post. So bear that in mind when ignoring my reply (no pressure, right?).

Dune.

(I spent 3 years waiting to say those 4 letters. Talk about emphasizing...)
gmvasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #44
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvasco View Post
Hi. I'm registered here for a long time (3+ years) but this is actually my first post. So bear that in mind when ignoring my reply (no pressure, right?).

Dune.

(I spent 3 years waiting to say those 4 letters. Talk about emphasizing...)
Hah! That'll teach you for telling me what to do! See? I'm not ignoring your post at all! What are you going to do about it? Huh?

(Yes, Dune is a goody. Nice opening gambit, gmvasco. )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #45
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnawingonfoot View Post
My treebook copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell made my hands hurt every time I opened it, but it was sooo worth it. Ginormous and full of hilarious goodness, though an ebook version would've felt better.
Sorry. This is one of the very few books that I've abandoned part-way through. I found it only mildly interesting and had not finished it when the 2 week check-out period from the library was coming to an end. I did write down the page number so I could resume reading some day in the future if the spirit so moved me. So far, however, I've found other things to read.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote