Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Reading speed

There's a fast and funny test online at Staples where you can access your reading speed:

Reading speed.

Apparently I read at 700-800 words per minute, and it would take me a bit over four hours to read 'War and Peace' -- dunno about that though, since it depends somewhat on a books difficulty.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
791, though I feel like I had a bit of a false start and had to go back.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I scored around the average college student mark on the first one, and on the following tow tests I scored high level executive and college professor. However, I'm going with the first measurement. Should I be worried that I'm at college and can't read as fast as a high scoring college student?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Don't worry about reading fast, just read at a pace comfortable for you. Reading well and avoiding distractions is better than reading fast while distracting yourself with "multitasking".
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Don't worry about reading fast, just read at a pace comfortable for you. Reading well and avoiding distractions is better than reading fast while distracting yourself with "multitasking".
The best answer to this periodic returning subject.

When I´m reading I'm not on an escape.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I read 104 words per minute. That makes me 58% slower than the national average. Oh dear...well, I already knew I read slow.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
335 wpm 3/3 on questions, when reading leisurely.

Strange. I count pages at 2400 char/page. The average length per word is (IIRC) 6 characters, so 400 words per page. Using the time to read on the Kindle, I read 30 pages per hour, consistently. That would be 12,000 wph, or 200 wpm.

The Kindle's timing is correct. If I start a chapter and it says 27 minutes, it is, +- 1 minute. I've checked it against the clock, numerous times. Something is fishy here.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-15-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You read 311 words per minute.
That makes you 24% faster than the national average.

Of course I was doing it without my glasses. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
1003 words per minute, 301% faster than the national average.
(That was my third try on a different excerpt. My first was 1018 wpm, my second was 906)

When I was trying for a different excerpt, I did do the Alice in Wonderland one twice, but I skipped reading and went right to the questions. That one gave me 12,041 wpm. Hmmm I might try to read War and Peace in the 47 minutes it said I could do it in...

And it's fun to see how fast one can read and retain the information properly. No it's not important, no it's not a contest. It's just fun.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
443 the first time when I made a point to just read quickly (didn't realize there was a test!) and got only 2 or the 3 right.

Doing it at a more comfortable pace with a different excerpt I got 369 with all 3 correct.

I think I was reading slower than my normal speed because it felt like I was reading twice - my eyes would be skipping ahead of where I was. I don't experience that sensation when reading normally.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I found the text difficult to read on my screen. 346 words per minute. It would take me about 28 hours to read War and Peace. Which isn't going to happen.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't dig slurping books one after the other like some McGreasy meatballs.

I take one gulp at a time, along with some wine.

I can read forum posts pretty fast though...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I read 274 words per minute on the first test which sounds about right. I use to use a speed reading program to read faster and despite using the program, I read at that speed. I took it a second time and read 319 words per minute.

Last edited by faithbw; 02-11-2014 at 04:28 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I did 3 times just to see. I had a bit of a harder time reading on my netbook screen, but I did get all three answers right each time. I had I think it was 550 or so words the first time and the other two in the 520's.
Of the books I had only read one to compare, Wuthering Heights. It said I think 3 hours and 20 minutes which seems about spot on. I think I might have read it a tad faster.

I read a book in about 4-5 hours at leisure speed. A full book that is with 350-450 pages and so. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. Just depends. Sometimes I plow through one in 3 hours when I just can't stop turning the pages.

I do know that I have a much easier time to read on e-ink with my eyes than on the computer screen. Even such a short text makes my eyes all wonky.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've always thought I was quite a fast reader, though clearly not as quick as some of you guys on here at 560.... if I was reading to study something I'd be a lot slower - if I wanted to take it in properly!

Not quite sure what speed you read at has to do with your "college" education level though?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote