Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #23176
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Please think of the planet when you make the decision to buy a printer or cartridges. Unless you are going to recycle the printer you are wasting precious metlas and components by throwing them away. I understand the price consideration. I really do. I wonder the same thing. But then I look at the amount of trash that most first world nations produce (and yes, the US is the worst at this) and I cringe. So we buy cartridges and recycle the old ones.

Sorry, I'll step off my soap box.

By the way, Best Buy and Radio Shake will take old electronics for recycling and they recycle batteries. Just an FYI
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #23177
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
As does staples !
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #23178
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Sad, but true - especially as printers have reverted back to separate cartridges for the colors ....
Looks like they're following the razor business model: give away the razor itself and charge through the nose for the blades.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #23179
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What does "^We" stand for and why does my iTouch insist on correcting "We" to that every time I type "We"?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #23180
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I finally figured out printers.

Every year you can get a budget printer during Black Friday for $30-$50. Unfortunately, the cost of new ink cartridges for the printer runs about $75 for black ink + color inks. The solution is to buy a new printer every time you run out of ink. It's much cheaper!
Or you could estimate your cartridge needs for the year, and buy that many printers on black friday, and just stick them in the attic until needed.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #23181
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I am having one of those "sneaky hate spiral" kind of days but it did kind of start last night. My phone won't charge. It is the port you plug the charger into and someone else with the Galaxy III at Best Buy had the same problem. Thankfully, I have insurance. However, BB won't give you a phone from the store. I have to wait several days until it is mailed and that is my only phone. I don't have a land line and haven't for years.

Also, I wanted my Kobo Mini to be kept at the UPS place for me to pick up (longish story) and that has been a nightmare. I have tried three times to find it. The first time was my fault for confusing Business 190 and 190 bypass. The second time, I was in the right area but couldn't see a sign or anything and was going to cause a wreck if I kept circling.

A call to UPS just confused matters (they refused to give me the number to the UPS pick-up location, saying they couldn't take incoming calls). Anyway, the person I spoke with at that main UPS number had me going to the UPS store in a different part of town. They were not the pick-up location but did help and did give me the number for the local pick-up location. Hopefully the 4th try will be successful. I hate UPS so much right now.

Add to this having a stupid panic about maybe getting overpaid (I wasn't but the worry kept me from sleeping well last night) and some annoying patrons and I'm ready to scream. I'm getting off at 2:30 due to it being Thursday and I believe a late lunch of oysters, gumbo, and beer is in order.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #23182
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Today at my granddaughters school, there was a spelling bee for grades 4-8, this school only.

Granddaughter has studied very hard, thanks to a "tiger mom" who refused to let her sluff it off....she wanted to enter, fine but she would take it seriously.....

Imagine my shock, when upon hearing the rules, it was said that the only criteria for a correct answer was getting the letters in the correct order.

For instance, if the word was "July" and the student spelled it without signifying it was a capital "J" it would be counted as correct.

If the word was "aren't" and the student spelled it without mentioning the apostrophe, it was counted correct.

I am mortified by this.....I only hope at district level the rules are different.

By the way.....my Abigal won.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #23183
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Another blow for those of us who prefer to spell and punctuate correctly. The Google keyboard on my Nexus 7 updated recently. Now missing from the alphabetic page is the apostrophe. I have to go into the numeric page to get that now. What has it been replaced with? A key that brings up a selection of smilies!

So I can easily do a B-) but not spell "can't" correctly without extra key presses.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #23184
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
You ever have a night where you just can't settle? I'm having one and it's one of those vague;"things just aren't right" feelings. Nothing on the personal level, just in general.

Ok, now I know y'all think I'm even weirder than you originally thought.

Oh well, off to see if a brandy will work, have picked up and put down my kindle about ten times tonight. Sigh
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #23185
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
You ever have a night where you just can't settle? I'm having one and it's one of those vague;"things just aren't right" feelings. Nothing on the personal level, just in general.
Trust your feelings... Keep a weather eye open. The 'not right' part could be for you, but it could just as easily be for your neighbor or a friend. There is a reason we have these feelings. They kept us alive when we were living in caves, and back then we paid attention to them. Modern society has tried to convince us that we don't need these feelings any more and has given them denigrating names such as 'hunch,' 'women's intuition,' and 'gut feeling,' telling is not to rely on them because they are not valid. They ARE valid, and can make life a lot better, safer, richer, and certainly more interesting.

Quote:
Ok, now I know y'all think I'm even weirder than you originally thought.
No... I always figured you were pretty normal. Just like me.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #23186
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Another blow for those of us who prefer to spell and punctuate correctly. The Google keyboard on my Nexus 7 updated recently. Now missing from the alphabetic page is the apostrophe. I have to go into the numeric page to get that now. What has it been replaced with? A key that brings up a selection of smilies!

So I can easily do a B-) but not spell "can't" correctly without extra key presses.
It's been that way on my 1st generation iPad for as long as I can remember, and it's that way on my iPad Air. It's never bothered me too much, but if I had the apostrophe option all along and woke up one morning to find an update replaced it with an emoticon button I'd be rather irate as well. Looks like Google is going for the texter market; many of whom wouldn't know an apostrophe if it bit 'em in the backside.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #23187
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Trust your feelings... Keep a weather eye open. The 'not right' part could be for you, but it could just as easily be for your neighbor or a friend. There is a reason we have these feelings. They kept us alive when we were living in caves, and back then we paid attention to them. Modern society has tried to convince us that we don't need these feelings any more and has given them denigrating names such as 'hunch,' 'women's intuition,' and 'gut feeling,' telling is not to rely on them because they are not valid. They ARE valid, and can make life a lot better, safer, richer, and certainly more interesting....
You make a good point. Hunches are never pulled out of thin air; there's always a reason for them. The reason may be of no consequence; such as in when we get a feeling we should play a certain lottery number because on a subconscious level our minds registered three similar license plates we saw on the road that day, or it may have real world consequences; as when a facial tic we didn't notice on a conscious level alerted us to the fact that the salesman who was trying to rope us into an expensive contract was lying through his teeth about its real worth. The trick is not to ignore hunches, but to learn which ones are valid, and which ones are born of the indigestion you had the night before. It's an art, and I don't think there's a course to teach it.

That being said, when were you and kindlekitten living in caves?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-15-2013 at 06:05 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #23188
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
........ The trick is not to ignore hunches, but to learn which ones are valid, and which ones are born of the indigestion you had the night before. It's an art, and I don't think there's a course to teach it.
Er.... there IS a course to teach it... (I used to be a lecturer for the course back in the day,) but it still requires practice. It's a skill we all possess but have been 'deprogrammed' into not using it. That deprogramming began in elementary school, when stuck for an answer about the result of 11x13, and we stood there casting our eyes upwards 'looking' for the answer, and the teacher screamed at us "The answer isn't on the ceiling you stupid child!" embarrassing us in front of the whole class. Scientists now know that when lifting the eyes 15°-20° above the horizontal triggers the lowering of brain wave activity into the 7-14 cycle per second 'Alpha' frequency, which is what we rely upon for increased mental functioning. Lifting the eyes is a completely normal physiological response when trying to access more 'brain power.' There are others... The more we practice paying attention to the messages we are getting from our intuition, the more accurate we become interpreting them. It is an art... and a skill... and it's all perfectly natural.

Quote:
That being said, when were you and kindlekitten living in caves?
It was a few lifetimes ago, but I remember it as if it were yesterday...
She wore blue (fox,) the neanderthals wore gray (wolf.)

KK, we'll always have Pa....ngaea!

It's still the same old story, A fight for love and glory, A case of do or die. The fundamental things apply As time goes by.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #23189
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's been that way on my 1st generation iPad for as long as I can remember, and it's that way on my iPad Air. It's never bothered me too much, but if I had the apostrophe option all along and woke up one morning to find an update replaced it with an emoticon button I'd be rather irate as well. Looks like Google is going for the texter market; many of whom wouldn't know an apostrophe if it bit 'em in the backside.
We've always had the apostrophe on the alphabetical keyboard with our iPads. Swipe up on the key next to the 'm', the one with the period and exclamation point.

That puts an apostrophe instead of the period.

Swipe up on the key with the question mark and you get a quotation mark.

Hope I didn't misunderstand you....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #23190
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

It was a few lifetimes ago, but I remember it as if it were yesterday...
She wore blue (fox,) the neanderthals wore gray (wolf.)

KK, we'll always have Pa....ngaea!

It's still the same old story, A fight for love and glory, A case of do or die. The fundamental things apply As time goes by.

Stitchawl
How romantic.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness