Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #496
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What I do now is to bring up the navigation bar. Then I press the right double arrow to go to the next chapter and look at the page number. Then press the return to go back to my current spot. Subtract the page numbers and I know when the chapter ends.
An annoying workaround. But a good idea nevertheless. Thanks! I'll start doing that too.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #497
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
In the 1.9.x firmware, there was a bar with tick running across the bottom when the menus were displayed. This gave you an idea of where you were up to and how close to the end of the chapter you are.

What I do now is to bring up the navigation bar. Then I press the right double arrow to go to the next chapter and look at the page number. Then press the return to go back to my current spot. Subtract the page numbers and I know when the chapter ends.
I started using Kobo with the 2.3.1 firmware (I'm still new to this game ) and this bar doesn't ring a bell.
I never thought of using the navigation bar this way but I'll make sure to try soon once my current kepub book is over. Thank you for this advice.
It doesn't seem to involve more steps than checking the TOC on the Sony 650. It may even be quicker
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #498
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I started using Kobo with the 2.3.1 firmware (I'm still new to this game ) and this bar doesn't ring a bell.
Go back to the middle of last year and read the outrage in the forum when it disappeared in FW2.0.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #499
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Go back to the middle of last year and read the outrage in the forum when it disappeared in FW2.0.0.
And an outrage it was.

Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #500
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Add a show/hide reading menu header and footer option in the Reading settings menu

Add a show/hide reading menu header and footer option in the Reading settings menu (on or off). For Kobo bought books and sideloaded books on Kobo Touch, Glo and Mini.

And when "hide reading menu" is activated use the full screen resolution of the device for reading. Not simply by hiding headers and footers while leaving these areas unused (empty) but actually reallocate them to the reading erea.

Current:
Code:
Default Reading area: full screen (resolution)  -/- header -/- footer (in pixels)

And when hide header and footer is activated, the reading area shoud be:
Code:
Reading area: default book area (when header/footer are displayed)  + header + footer.

This doesn't have to impact the tap navigation of the devices, as tapping on the middle of the page still opens the reading menu (headers and footers pop up).
And optionally, add new tapping areas that tapping only the bottom middle or upper middle of the page opens up only the reading menu footer or header.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #501
lsmod
lsmod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Where i can leave bugs for the current version?

I am a new owner and there are 2 things that are annoying:
1. After wakeup the Kobo touch goes back into sleep mode after some seconds, when you don't skim to the next or previous page first.
2. The keyboard reacts a little bit lazy and sometimes the key pressed is highlighted but not added to the input.

My wishlist:
The browser should have the possibility to work with landscape format, because most of the websites are made for normal screens.

I miss an application for the simple check of my emails.
lsmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #502
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmod View Post
1. After wakeup the Kobo touch goes back into sleep mode after some seconds, when you don't skim to the next or previous page first.
I agree this is annoying. My observation has been that the longer the interval for sleep in Settings, the longer the time period before the device goes to sleep before the first page is touched. I set my Glo light to turn off after 15 mins and the device to sleep after 45 minutes, and the light goes off first to warn me to touch the page before the device sleeps after wakeup. Doesn't fix the bug, but makes it slightly less annoying.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #503
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Where i can leave bugs for the current version?
Bugs in 2.4.0 are being collected in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205931.
Quote:
I am a new owner and there are 2 things that are annoying:
A known bug and has been reported to Kobo.
Quote:
2. The keyboard reacts a little bit lazy and sometimes the key pressed is highlighted but not added to the input.
Where are you seeing this? If you are talking about the search, it starts the search as you type letters. The first letter does not get displayed until the first results are displayed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #504
hreader
hreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have some problem with the right arrow in the list of ebook in the library, generally I activate accidentally the library settings and sometime, to avoid this, I tap too much on the left side ending on the last page... Sometime nothing happen

I found very difficult to use the goto bar to navigate to a given page on an ebook

I really miss the dictionary in dictionary feature maybe because, as you can read, my English is not so good... Sometime I need to know the mean of a word in the definition of another word and, at the moment it's annoying. I tried a kindle touch of a friend and when you select a word in a pop-up definition, it open the dictionary at that word and again if you touch a word... I think that we need something similar
hreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #505
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
With thanks to Davfor for the suggestion, swipe up or down on the middle of the screen as a workaround. Doesn't activate anything or turn a page but stops the sleep timeout.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #506
lsmod
lsmod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Where are you seeing this? If you are talking about the search, it starts the search as you type letters. The first letter does not get displayed until the first results are displayed.
No - everywhere you have to enter Text.
Like entering the Password for your WLAN or an URL in the Browser.
The tap is recognized and the correspondent key is highlighted short, but the letter is not added.
It's only sometimes and when you try to type a little bit faster.
You have to look for every letter you type that it will arrive.

Besides - it's really annoying and not "state of the art" that you don't have an QWERTY keyboard.
Another problem for the browser is that you must switch the keyboard for typing a "." and "@" and "/".

Last edited by lsmod; 03-30-2013 at 04:03 AM.
lsmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #507
hreader

Why the dictionary is not working on pdf? There's some hope to the resolution of this bug?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #508
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hreader View Post
Why the dictionary is not working on pdf? There's some hope to the resolution of this bug?
I don't think it is a bug. The PDFs and the epubs are two different formats using different softwares to be read, so the features are different.
I would have to check, but I don't think that I can use the dictionaries when reading a PDF file on my 650 either.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #509
hreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I don't think it is a bug. The PDFs and the epubs are two different formats using different softwares to be read, so the features are different.
I would have to check, but I don't think that I can use the dictionaries when reading a PDF file on my 650 either.
Well, when I read a book in the ereader I expect to use the dictionary regardless of the format, I think it's a lack of a basic feature.
I can say for example that on kindle it works as in the azw/mobi.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #510
0rchid
0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.0rchid knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Better dictionaries in the future -- Merriam is terrible for both English and French-English since it's lacking in words. It'd be nice if we could instantly "click" and look up a word in the definition as well.

Better highlighting/note-taking features -- I really like the one they have for the Sony readers where you can circle words or underline text. Highlighting is nice, but I like a little variations sometimes for different types of notes.

Option to adjust the contrast for .PDF and .CBS files -- since the "text" is sometimes too light to read.

A way to tell whether or not a book has been "shelved" -- This is one of my biggest pet-peeve, especially if I'm adding several books at once.

Option to set a Default Dictionary -- I'd like to set the French-English dictionary as my default one when reading French books

Scrolling down page for of .cbz files when in landscape mode - it's easier to read text for graphic novels when I put it in landscape mode but it won't let me scroll to the bottom half of the page. Whenever I try to do so, it just flips to the top half of the next page. It seems to work when I zoom it a bit, but that defeats the whole purpose of having the option to fit the page across the screen since it means I'll have to scroll both left/right and up/down to read everything.
0rchid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo