Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
If it doesn't have to be finished, then no.

I have had way to many indie comic books abruptly ended. I understand life gets in the way. It happens. With comics you can't really work much farther ahead than 4 issues due to the money needed. A serial should be done before submission.

The price seems a bit low for the authors too.

I don't see Amazon doing any vetting on these books. They still can't seem to fix the Dune ebook.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm not interested, because I hate serials - by the time the next installment is out, I've forgotten what happened in the first installment and may have forgotten about the book altogether.
I suppose you read your books quite fast then !

As for me, I don't really like serials, but for a different reason altogether. If a book turns out to be good, I want to be able to continue reading to my heart's desire. Not being able to do that would just be too frustrating...
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
especially if Amazon does some quality control vetting for grammar, spelling, and formatting.
Not very likely at a $1.99 price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It cold be a good way to market books that have been completed and develop a following.
The first part would need to be free to do that. You're more likely to see people use it as a testing board for things they're not sure if it's going to be worth their while writing or not. I can see a lot of them being abandoned if they don't attract enough readers.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
I suppose you read your books quite fast then !
I do usually finish a book within a day or two, yes.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
It could be kinda good in a way. Used to be that many authors got their starts writing short stories or serials in various magazines. Problem is, part of the lure of doing it that way is that it brought the attention of the reader to the author. On a separate serial, the author has to find some way to get people to buy their work on their own. For an unknown, that may be difficult. However, the low price, would help people not be so worried. If they take a gamble, and don't like the work, they are only out two bucks.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There are several narrative techniques and structures that lend themselves to serialization and in some of them the weekly delivery would add value. Diaries and journals--perhaps mapped to publication dates--and correspondence exchanges are a few that come to mind.
One possible draw for writers is that there never will be a lot of serials even at Amazon.
It might help in visibility terms if they can adapt to the format.
And, Dickens aside, there won't be much competition from the backlist.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The only way I could see these interesting me is if you got part1 for free and then I got dragged into it, but these days a lot of amazons sales are basically doing the same thing by offering book 1 of a complete series for cheap anyway.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote